FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

vagrants Jul 8, 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Slickw (Post 21027146)
Others have reported all Chase accounts closed with zero warning. Caveat emptor.

OK, YMMV then.

vagrants Jul 8, 2013 10:39 am

I think KYBOSH was talking about a very specific condition that you guys started generalizing.

Originally Posted by Slickw (Post 21057180)
I'm willing to take the risk of paying off personal credit cards using a bill pay service. But I'm having trouble coming up with legitimate scenarios that would explain a business using one of these services to pay their credit card bills.

I don't see why you owe an explanation how you pay bills provided that you don't go overboard. If it is true, then nobody but the card holder can make payments to CCCs...in my experience, CCCs don't care who makes the payments on my accounts. I did hear something about one of the CCCs gave hard time about WM BillPay lead to an account review.

KYBOSH Jul 8, 2013 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jmw (Post 21060714)
Please tell us what will you do when your bank's risk management decides to unilaterally close all of your accounts including those juicy credit cards for good? What will you do when the IRS decides to audit you and your bank account? Remember, you told us not to explain anything so you don't get to say anything about how they involve GCs to the bank or the IRS.

Let me clarify that... you dont need to explain yourself to the banks. You will need to explain yourself the IRS. If the banks unilaterally closed all your accounts do you know of any explanation that will get them to open them back up again? Assuming they even bother to ask you for one or are willing to anything you have to say.

Slickw Jul 8, 2013 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jmw (Post 21060714)
Please tell us what will you do when your bank's risk management decides to unilaterally close all of your accounts including those juicy credit cards for good?

My wording may not have been clear but this is what I was alluding to - I didn't mean someone questioning me directly, I meant someone questioning my behavior behind the scenes and then taking some type of negative action.

Explore Jul 8, 2013 3:14 pm

Any concerns with depositing two $999.30 MOs at my local bank the same day, total $1,999 rounded plus some personal checks? Is there anything to be gained from depositing each MO on a separate day?

And does anyone have conservative advice on the maximum value of MOs that should be deposited in a single personal checking account per month?

Thanks.....

lovenola Jul 9, 2013 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21062637)
Any concerns with depositing two $999.30 MOs at my local bank the same day, total $1,999 rounded plus some personal checks? Is there anything to be gained from depositing each MO on a separate day?

And does anyone have conservative advice on the maximum value of MOs that should be deposited in a single personal checking account per month?

Thanks.....

I wouldn't worry about $2000 in a day, but as to how many per month, that's up to you and how much risk you like to take, and what type of relationship you have with your bank. Best to have multiple bank accounts at different banks to spread it out, not just making deposits at multiple branches.

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 9, 2013 4:36 am

Might be better to vary the amounts of the MOs. Not just in the last 4 digits, but also in the first digit to stay within the law. That would be Benford's Law, of course.:p

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21062637)

Thanks.....

ChurnCzar Jul 9, 2013 5:31 am

As a former bank teller, a couple money orders a month, or even 1 or 2 a week would not have raised my suspicions.

Now if you were doing strange things immediately trying to cash them - that would have raised a red flag.

cestmoi123 Jul 9, 2013 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades (Post 21016204)
Money Orders are considered suspicious. Use them often enough, eventually you will run into problems with someone

Think about it from the bank's perspective. They know you have a checking account, either with them, or with someone else (or at least they assume you do, since they aren't generally giving out rewards cards to the unbanked). If you have a checking account, why aren't you sending them a check?

Certainly, you have a reason for what you're doing, but from their perspective, it looks very hard to see the rationale, and it looks a lot like money laundering.

msp2anywhere Jul 9, 2013 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 (Post 21066591)
Think about it from the bank's perspective... Certainly, you have a reason for what you're doing, but from their perspective, it looks very hard to see the rationale, and it looks a lot like money laundering.

Bingo. It's the wild, wild world of risk aversion- and by this point, the bank has run through quick flowchart:

1. Are we making money off this customer? Y/N
2. Is there even the potential that this customer may cost us money related to time spent on investigations, responding to subpoenas, etc? Y/N

I think you can see how this plays out... It's easiest to invite you to close your accounts, or they can, citing the universal clause that allows either party to sever the relationship, at anytime, without cause.

So, diversify your portfolio- and don't wager what you aren't willing to lose (i.e. your primary checking account).

Alcibiades Jul 9, 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants (Post 21060885)
in my experience, CCCs don't care who makes the payments on my accounts. I did hear something about one of the CCCs gave hard time about WM BillPay lead to an account review.

Yes, b/c there is no Who

shadow1woman Jul 9, 2013 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by shel (Post 21029080)
Thanks for the insight.

If risks are about the same for using MOs, how are they compared to billpay in WM/K-Mart? Do card issuers consider "paying cash in WM" more suspicious than using MOs?

As I read this I am wondering the same thing. Would it be less suspicious to use the billpay or MO's?

lovenola Jul 10, 2013 1:04 am

Originally Posted by shadow1woman (Post 21070547)
As I read this I am wondering the same thing. Would it be less suspicious to use the billpay or MO's?

I would imagine that the bill pay looks just like a bluebird transaction to the bank.

FlightNurse Jul 11, 2013 3:12 am

Originally Posted by lovenola (Post 20250438)
I have bought about $12,000 worth of m/o over the last 30 days, so this may also have something to do with it. However, my last visit a few weeks back had me buying over $4,000 worth in one visit.

They ask for your name, address, dob, ssn, occupation, etc.

The write all of this down on a form that they keep in a binder for this purpose that anyone behind the counter can access. According to the form they are supposed to keep it on file for 5 years.

Does anyone else find this odd? Really your name, DOB and SSN in a folder which ANYONE can get to???? BTW, it's people like you that have caused this hobbie to have so many issues... 12K in MO'a in one month that is not going to cause red flags???? I'm sure it's not one just one CC, but spending 2K on just one card at WM is excess.

jewsus Jul 11, 2013 5:55 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 21077413)
Does anyone else find this odd? Really your name, DOB and SSN in a folder which ANYONE can get to???? BTW, it's people like you that have caused this hobbie to have so many issues... 12K in MO'a in one month that is not going to cause red flags???? I'm sure it's not one just one CC, but spending 2K on just one card at WM is excess.

$12K in a month? lol. I did that yesterday.