FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

vagrants Jul 1, 2013 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by shel (Post 21024102)
If that's the reasoning by banks, wouldn't depositing MOs to bank accounts worse than using MOs to pay bills?:confused:

Yes, that is why you have to worry about SAR/CTR.

Rommie2k6 Jul 1, 2013 6:59 pm

Ok, maybe I am missing out something, but what's the deal with purchasing money orders? You can't use a credit card to purchase those right?

Can someone point me to the correct direction as to what's the deal?

Slickw Jul 1, 2013 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by shel (Post 21024102)
....wouldn't depositing MOs to bank accounts worse than using MOs to pay bills?:confused:

No, assuming you accept the risk of SARs/CTRs. Depositing MOs to a bank at most gets you banned from the bank (and perhaps SARs filed). Submitting MOs to Chase and other card issuers could result in a ban which means no more new cards with bonuses. This is why some people think it's nuts to pay off Chase etc. with MOs and instead use local banks or banks that don't issue cards with lucrative bonuses.

vagrants Jul 1, 2013 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Slickw (Post 21024732)
No, assuming you accept the risk of SARs/CTRs. Depositing MOs to a bank at most gets you banned from the bank (and perhaps SARs filed). Submitting MOs to Chase and other card issuers could result in a ban which means no more new cards with bonuses. This is why some people think it's nuts to pay off Chase etc. with MOs and instead use local banks or banks that don't issue cards with lucrative bonuses.

According to the reports member made, Chase Compliance/Fraud warns you before they shut you down on the CC. If banking, no warning because of the Bank Secrecy Act.

savekenny Jul 2, 2013 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 (Post 21024290)
what's the deal with purchasing money orders? You can't use a credit card to purchase those right?

You can't?

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 2, 2013 5:42 am

Or CU's.

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 2, 2013 5:47 am

Directly, no. But if you have the buxx or follow the birdie or serve amex you can fund the card that funds the mo with a cc.

Originally Posted by savekenny (Post 21025562)
You can't?

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 2, 2013 5:52 am

And BoA Risk Closure just shuts you down with no warning.

Originally Posted by vagrants (Post 21025460)
According to the reports member made, Chase Compliance/Fraud warns you before they shut you down on the CC. If banking, no warning because of the Bank Secrecy Act.

Slickw Jul 2, 2013 8:49 am

According to the reports member made, Chase Compliance/Fraud warns you before they shut you down on the CC.

Others have reported all Chase accounts closed with zero warning. Caveat emptor.

If banking, no warning because of the Bank Secrecy Act.

Read through some of the banking forums. It depends on the hair trigger of the compliance officer which appears to vary significantly across financial institutions. Some will call the customer to inquire about the deposits, which is in essence a warning that they are suspicious about the behavior. If the explanation is unsatisfactory then SAR(s) filed (yes without your knowledge) and maybe account closure follows. Others shoot first and don't ask questions later.

shel Jul 2, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks for the insight.

If risks are about the same for using MOs, how are they compared to billpay in WM/K-Mart? Do card issuers consider "paying cash in WM" more suspicious than using MOs?

Slickw Jul 7, 2013 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by shel (Post 21029080)
If risks are about the same for using MOs, how are they compared to billpay in WM/K-Mart? Do card issuers consider "paying cash in WM" more suspicious than using MOs?

I've wondered about this myself - maybe someone in the banking industry here on FT will respond. I'm willing to take the risk of paying off personal credit cards using a bill pay service. But I'm having trouble coming up with legitimate scenarios that would explain a business using one of these services to pay their credit card bills.

KYBOSH Jul 7, 2013 6:02 pm

You dont need to explain anything to anyone (as long as you are doing anything illegal).

Happy Jul 7, 2013 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by KYBOSH (Post 21057193)
You dont need to explain anything to anyone (as long as you are NOT doing anything illegal).

I insert the NOT, assume that is what you mean.

Still you should keep good records of everything that you can show the chain of events when and if you are being asked and to explain why you engaging such behavior.

lovenola Jul 8, 2013 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 21057281)
I insert the NOT, assume that is what you mean.

Still you should keep good records of everything that you can show the chain of events when and if you are being asked and to explain why you engaging such behavior.

Not to mention if you get audited by the IRS and they want you to justify your deposits/spending that far exceed your income

jmw Jul 8, 2013 10:13 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH (Post 21057193)
You dont need to explain anything to anyone (as long as you are doing anything illegal).

Please tell us what will you do when your bank's risk management decides to unilaterally close all of your accounts including those juicy credit cards for good? What will you do when the IRS decides to audit you and your bank account? Remember, you told us not to explain anything so you don't get to say anything about how they involve GCs to the bank or the IRS.