Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Moderator note: A new thread for 2016 is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1738030-gobank-greendot-online-banking-debit-card-2016-a.html

Do NOT let Rite-Aid scan the GoBank barcode. You will be charged, but your funds won't load. It is a PIA to get your funds back.

Want to stay active? Be sure to only load when your balance is at or close to 0. Continuing to load when you have funds in there seems to be a no no. Swipes are recommended, but there are folks active that don't swipe.

Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!
Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:43 am

I keep them for a couple of months and then recheck them to make sure there was no reversed payments before shredding them.

@thegasguru. You may make a WM janitor $500 richer one day if a GC transaction has an error and is credited back to the card.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Seriously...how the heck would I possibly remember which of my gazillion GCs were the specific ones Serve or Account Now or Go Bank is looking for? If you tell me that I have to start some sort of GC filing and inventory system, then I think I'll just take my chances.
I staple the VRs (i buy at least 4 in one time) and the receipt together and throw it in the drawer. Usually after 2 months, its full. I shred it then.
I just keep them in case some transaction doesnt go through or is reversed. Also deep down inside i am a hoarder
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by arsenalman
I staple the VRs (i buy at least 4 in one time) and the receipt together and throw it in the drawer. Usually after 2 months, its full. I shred it then.
I just keep them in case some transaction doesnt go through or is reversed. Also deep down inside i am a hoarder
+1

Hoarder + OCD ^
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by Bender464
+1

Hoarder + OCD ^
+1. Shoebox.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:58 pm

I trash them all. VRs in the trash seconds after i get the "success" message, and gift cards folded back and forth in half and tossed on the trash can as I walk out of WM.

I live dangerously. Chicks dig it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I trash them all. VRs in the trash seconds after i get the "success" message, and gift cards folded back and forth in half and tossed on the trash can as I walk out of WM.

^ same here
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Ditto.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Anyone tried to use a credit card for the sake of it for the very first initial load?
Got rejected? Cash advance?

Minos
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tried to send payment to a friend. He doesn't want GB, but we figured we would see how the PayPal link works in that situation.

This is hours ago now. No email - no way for me to cancel.

Has anyone done one of these transfers?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by josephstern
Tried to send payment to a friend. He doesn't want GB, but we figured we would see how the PayPal link works in that situation.

This is hours ago now. No email - no way for me to cancel.

Has anyone done one of these transfers?
It gets auto cancelled after some time.. I was lazy and so was the party on the other end. But I do remember there was an option to cancel it
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by WhateverDude

You bother to fold the GCs back and forth before throwing them in the trash?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Bender464
Please, promise not to use the word "gazillion" IF asked by AN or GB!!!
Originally Posted by cashback
@thegasguru. You may make a WM janitor $500 richer one day if a GC transaction has an error and is credited back to the card.
Well...if the janitor wants to sift thru the gazzilion GCs I've thrown into the trash at WM, then he deserves the $500 cash back.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:24 pm

On a more serious note: how often has anyone here had a charge back onto one of their GCs? More specifically: once you've gotten the "success" message on a reload, have you ever had a subsequent charge back?

And as far as money orders are concerned: once I have the MO in my hot little hand, I could care less what happens to the GC. A MO is cash. The GC is trash.

Chicks dig that. I'm a bad boy.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Rut Roh.

I toss my GCs in the trash can on the way out the door of WM.
I used to do that. Now I keep 'em just in case there's a problem with the load. Better safe than sorry!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:02 pm

Another data point for kiosk users.

4:21pm: 3x $500 load to gb.

4:31pm: 2x $500 load to gb.

Anyone willing to try less than ten?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.