Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

All things PAYPAL [2013-2014 Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sechs
Paypal MyCash $500 daily load limit resets after 12:00am EST
Paypal MyCash $4000 per calendar month load limit resets after 3:00am EST

An additional $4000 per month can be loaded using Greendot Moneypaks. See the Moneypak thread for issues with these. Limit purchases to no more than 2 x $500 at a time.

To get a live PayPal MyCash representative, call 1-855-721-5035, press 1 to all the voice prompts until it asks you for your PIN, and then press 0#, 0#, and 0#.

If you are getting error code 26 when loading MyCash to your account:
  1. Login to Paypal on a computer, not phone
  2. Go to settings (it is the gear)
  3. Choose selling tools on the left
  4. Scroll down to: Block payments -- Limit payments, add instructions, and more -- and choose update
  5. On the page "Payment Receiving Preferences" select the first radio button, "For the items not sold on eBay, Only allow payments from the users with confirmed address."
  6. Be sure that NO is chosen
  7. Save and you are done
Print Wikipost

All things PAYPAL [2013-2014 Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:30 am

I've been using PP for DD on various accounts. Most recently, I added my old Amex prepaid card (the one we used before BB came out) and verified it with the 2 tiny deposits. I then transferred $10 from PP to the Amex prepaid but that money hasn't shown up yet. It took <48 hrs for the micro deposits for verification to go through, but it's now almost 4 full days and Amex card shows no sign of the $10. What could be the delay? $10 isn't a big deal, but I have $2300 on the Amex prepaid and I want DD to increase max balance limit.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I've been using PP for DD on various accounts. Most recently, I added my old Amex prepaid card (the one we used before BB came out) and verified it with the 2 tiny deposits. I then transferred $10 from PP to the Amex prepaid but that money hasn't shown up yet. It took <48 hrs for the micro deposits for verification to go through, but it's now almost 4 full days and Amex card shows no sign of the $10. What could be the delay? $10 isn't a big deal, but I have $2300 on the Amex prepaid and I want DD to increase max balance limit.
The last 3 days weren't banking days.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:03 am

Can you push the Amex Prepaid Card onto PP ? Basically the reserve from DaveInLa ?

Are there any fees associated with that ?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:01 pm

I just got my PP Debit MC. I'm trying to liquidate some of that without getting shut down. I know that transfers to a bank account are a fast track to getting closed down, and I suppose frequent ATM withdrawals are as well. Some prepaid cards can be liquidated best by buying something from a grocery store and paying with debit, and then getting "cash back". However, the PP MC FAQ states that "signature withdrawals" get slapped with a $3 fee. Is getting cash back from a grocery store considered a signature withdrawal? If not, is there any fee at all with cash back from a grocery store purchase?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 5:13 pm

the business paypal debit gets 1% back on signature purchases, I have used it quite a bit. I have gotten cash back at the register no problem.

There is another prepaid debit card you can pick up in the store, I know nothing about it.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/debit-card
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
By mistake I got the prepaid paypal debit from cvs thinking I can load up on paypal. So the fee charged at purchase was 4.95 then they charged another 4.95 monthly plan fee next day. I immediately asked for a refund as it's crazy for them to charge $9.90 before I even start using the card.
lol did u get it?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Has anyone verified the $15K load limit via VRs is lifetime or monthly yet?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450
the business paypal debit gets 1% back on signature purchases, I have used it quite a bit. I have gotten cash back at the register no problem.

There is another prepaid debit card you can pick up in the store, I know nothing about it.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/debit-card
You get 1% cash back on debit and "credit" purchases? I made a debit purchase today and had to enter my PIN. The Paypal website said that the 1% back only applies no no-PIN transactions.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
FYI Do not use Paypal Pay Later!

I thought I would make good use of the $10 discount for joining on my shoes. They never told me that when it comes time to pay, you can only do so with a bank account and not a credit or debit card!! So happy to have the $10 off, bummed not to get the 155 miles!!
Cheers!

JudyJFLA
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
I thought I would make good use of the $10 discount for joining on my shoes. They never told me that when it comes time to pay, you can only do so with a bank account and not a credit or debit card!! So happy to have the $10 off, bummed not to get the 155 miles!!
Cheers!

JudyJFLA
They specifically say that credit approval is required, so why would you think this is different from other credit cards and your other card would let you do balance transfers (which is what this would be) for free?

Also, most FF program miles are valued ~1cpm, so I personally think you got a good deal in this case if you're doing a straight apples-to-apples comparison.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And now they've got your bank account info, something I would certainly *NEVER* give them!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:52 pm

I'd like to call out Daraius at MillionMileSecrets for this post on his blog:
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/0...al-debit-card/

While he did write:
"But you’ve got to be careful with PayPal and DO NOT try this if you can’t afford to be without the money you load in your PayPal account should PayPal decide to suspend your account!"

I would like travel bloggers to actively show that they are participating in a scheme like this with something like screen shots. Loading your account one time with $1k in gift cards to me does not mean you've full researched this scheme. At least someone like frequent miler will post details of his active participation... trials and errors.. and tend to keep readers updated on if a deal is dead or if people are getting shut down.

Since a travel blogger like Daraius makes a direct income off his readers (not just ads that are being loaded on his page) via credit card sign ups and then telling people who to rack up miles. I think that I'd like to see that he is actively working a deal that is such a high risk.

I've talked to a large number of people who in the past have had their accounts frozen along with their funds. So if he is suggesting to readers that you are less likely to have this happen if you are not depositing the funds directly into your bank and spending the money via the debit card... I'd like to see evidence to back this up. I think if you are going to suggest such a high risk deal to readers that he should be like frequent miler and actually be testing this stuff out and reporting it to his readers, because if not.. does he really care if his readers get their funds frozen? Would you not call this lazy blogging or reporting?

Responses are welcome
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
You get 1% cash back on debit and "credit" purchases? I made a debit purchase today and had to enter my PIN. The Paypal website said that the 1% back only applies no no-PIN transactions.
Signature purchases refers to credit and not debit transactions.

Older business Paypal cards are grandfathered in at 1.5% cash back.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Signature purchases refers to credit and not debit transactions.

Older business Paypal cards are grandfathered in at 1.5% cash back.
How old is "older"? I've had my paypal business debit since 2006 and am at 1%.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
They specifically say that credit approval is required, so why would you think this is different from other credit cards and your other card would let you do balance transfers (which is what this would be) for free?

Also, most FF program miles are valued ~1cpm, so I personally think you got a good deal in this case if you're doing a straight apples-to-apples comparison.
Don't know where to start with this one, lol. OK -

She meant she wanted to pay with her credit card THRU PayPal - which you can do regularly. It does not act as a "balance transfer", it is applied as a charge to your card - which you then earn points or miles for this charge on your credit card. This is, in fact, how I earn over 50k+ AA miles every year.

And yes, it is free. Nowhere, did she mention credit approval, or whatever else you read into her OP.

The OP was, in fact, denoting the difference between paying with regular PayPal, and opting into the Payment over time feature, which apparently procludes paying via your (already linked) card, vs being forced to pay via the back-up funding source - bank account.

And Judy, thanks for the heads-up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.