Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

All things PAYPAL [2013-2014 Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sechs
Paypal MyCash $500 daily load limit resets after 12:00am EST
Paypal MyCash $4000 per calendar month load limit resets after 3:00am EST

An additional $4000 per month can be loaded using Greendot Moneypaks. See the Moneypak thread for issues with these. Limit purchases to no more than 2 x $500 at a time.

To get a live PayPal MyCash representative, call 1-855-721-5035, press 1 to all the voice prompts until it asks you for your PIN, and then press 0#, 0#, and 0#.

If you are getting error code 26 when loading MyCash to your account:
  1. Login to Paypal on a computer, not phone
  2. Go to settings (it is the gear)
  3. Choose selling tools on the left
  4. Scroll down to: Block payments -- Limit payments, add instructions, and more -- and choose update
  5. On the page "Payment Receiving Preferences" select the first radio button, "For the items not sold on eBay, Only allow payments from the users with confirmed address."
  6. Be sure that NO is chosen
  7. Save and you are done
Print Wikipost

All things PAYPAL [2013-2014 Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It worked! Laid low for 31 days and it loaded today.

So it's neither a calendar month nor a rolling calendar for me. Something is off with their calculations.

Once I burn through these cards, I'm done for sure. Yet another MilesBuzz deal that sounds good but isn't worth the headache, I'm afraid.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:04 am

So what did your monthly limit reset to today, $4000 or $500?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$4000
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:56 am

wierd

Just logged in again, now my account is showing this:

Add funds in just a few clicks to your PayPal account.

Daily Load Limit: $500.00
Monthly Load Limit: $2,500.00

Seems very random, I will try to load when i get home today, earlier today it was showing my monthly load down to ~11.50
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Slickw
Agreed. About 5 years ago I stupidly logged into my account from a computer in Brazil - PP locked the account and it took months to get access again. Its been said over and over on this board but especially with regard to PP - do not play the game if you can't float the money.
I travel to countries frequently that Paypal considers risky. I've never been locked out long, maybe a day or so. Calling in with Skype solves it. Most of the business debit card problems are when charges happen in different countries on the same day. So I use the second card for outside US purchases.

I regularly run 4 figures a month in charges. Usually get $100-200 a month back.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Has anyone had trouble with their account getting shut down for sending money to spouse/friends after loading it up via greendot moneypak? I just realized my rite-aid sells them without a fee and allows using a CC to buy them. I ran a smaller test transaction successfully and will scale up a bit, but am curious if others have had problems with this approach?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drdrew450
Just logged in again, now my account is showing this:

Add funds in just a few clicks to your PayPal account.

Daily Load Limit: $500.00
Monthly Load Limit: $2,500.00

Seems very random, I will try to load when i get home today, earlier today it was showing my monthly load down to ~11.50
It's got to be something wacky in their calculations.

Mine now shows $3500, which is correct. But on 1/2 it showed $0.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA/DL/UA, SPG/HH
as a "customer" of PayPal's since 2005, my personal experience as someone who actually takes the time to read, understand, and follow their long, byzantine, and fundamentally unfair "user agreement" has been that they are the absolute *worst* when it comes to actually delivering on fraud protection, liquidity, customer service, honesty, policy fairness, adherence to their own written policies, adherence to applicable laws, and the overall value of their services.

state and national banking regulators, the BBB, and even the local attorney general's office in santa clara (the county in which PayPal is headquartered) all routinely turn a blind eye to multiple widespread forms of consumer and financial fraud perpetrated on PayPal customers--perhaps because there are so many. in my experience, the only way to get them to stick to their own policies and applicable laws has been to file small claims suits against them. PayPal's business model fundamentally depends on taking advantage of customers and expecting them not to take the time and money to escalate or otherwise pursue claims against them.

whether it's leaving you holding the bag as an ebay seller against the written terms and conditions of their own policies in hopes that you'll subsidize their failure to prevent credit card payment fraud on ebay by inappropriately (if not illegally) encouraging you to claim back funds from shipping insurance for financial losses completely unrelated to shipping...or arbitrarily freezing thousands of dollars outside of their user agreement's terms of service without a legitimate reason (or even just reasons that are illegitimate but at least mentioned in their user agreement), PayPal is essentially *never* worth the hassle of dealing with unless absolutely necessary with any transaction you wouldn't call "peanuts."

if you decide to transact with PayPal in pursuit of miles/points, i strongly recommend factoring in the risk/cost/time/hassle of needing a small claims court suit and lots of engagement with multiple regulatory authorities in order to compel PayPal to deal fairly with you, follow the law, and adhere to their own written policies--the terms of which are in several cases clearly illegal or unenforceable, even in some states in the US.

but even if you take the time to factor in the potential small claims court "overhead" of dealing with PayPal, PayPal recently revised their user agreement so that you could only pursue claims against them through binding arbitration unless you opted out (like i did), so your options may now be even more limited if you have issues with them.

i personally would never leverage paypal for frequent flier miles/points unless the return on investment in time/money/frustration were more than about five to ten times the next-best alternative opportunity. but even then, i would only transact with amounts that i could do without access to for a year or longer (to factor in the time for arbitration, regulatory complaint, and/or small claims court proceedings to play out) or by transacting with amounts that i could truly care less about.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
no reset in december, but it occured on Jan 1 to 4k. I logged in today to load PP cash, the monthly amount changed to 2015.xx. WTH. Thankfully, I only got 2k of PP cash. 1500 to go. Unless they change it again to like 233.xx.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:15 pm

I think there needs to be some responsibility of the moderator here.

There definitely needs to be a warning added onto the original post here, when you load your account via gift cards you are playing with fire. It needs to be outlined that you are taking a very large financial risk when involving yourself in the scheme/deal.

Paypal has had a long negative history of freezing accounts with suspicious activity. That means... if you load your account with lots of money... you will not have access to quickly drain the funds put there via credit card.

Please make an informed decision before taking part in this... You will most likely find that it is NOT worth the risk.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

There definitely needs to be a warning added onto the original post here, when you load your account via gift cards you are playing with fire. It needs to be outlined that you are taking a very large financial risk when involving yourself in the scheme/deal.

Paypal has had a long negative history of freezing accounts with suspicious activity. That means... if you load your account with lots of money... you will not have access to quickly drain the funds put there via credit card.

Please make an informed decision before taking part in this... You will most likely find that it is NOT worth the risk.
Nice info. for many to have. Thanks for the warning.^

I have had my paypal account for several years. I have never used it for this purpose, only for transactions needing paypal (i.e. ebay--haven't bought in years, individuals--recently, and online purchases--very few and far between).

But, with the offer to avoid fee's due to a CC, this is def. a good thing to note.

Thanks for sharing.^
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

does that include BlueBird, VR, etc?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:35 pm

on a side note, i am trying to figure what use I can put this PayPal InStore card to
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:15 pm

Mrp20- thanks for the posts. Just keeps my awareness up not to use PayPal. Had some bad eBay experiences with them. They stonewall you and you have no recourse. I limit eBay just so not to use PayPal.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by j9jm3
Mrp20- thanks for the posts. Just keeps my awareness up not to use PayPal. Had some bad eBay experiences with them. They stonewall you and you have no recourse. I limit eBay just so not to use PayPal.
Re no recourse....when you buy on ebay and pay with PayPal, fund the purchase with a credit card.

There is no fee to you and your recourse is disputing the charge with your credit card issuer (who will issue a provisional credit immediately upon your dispute).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.