Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uncommonsensical
“My Vanilla Personal Reloadable Prepaid Debit Visa card”
https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com

FAQs: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/faq.html
T&C: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...Policy_ENG.pdf
Fees: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...RhFOmbp3hiKogJ

There isn't a bill pay function with MVD.

How do I load funds onto MVD? There are two primary ways to load funds onto your MyVanilla Card: 1) Direct Deposit (direct deposit all or part of your paycheck, social security, even your tax return refund right onto your MyVanilla Card); 2) At any Vanilla Reload Network retailer; just bring your Card and the amount you want to load onto your Card - Note: This can be either purchasing a Vanilla Reload card or possibly using a retailer with loading function on the cash register such as CVS. $3.95 fee applies to both methods.

CVS Credit Card Load Data Points:
Credit Cards used treated as a purchase:
FIA Fidelity Amex

Credit Cards used treated as a cash advance:
??

What is the load limit? You can load a maximum of $500.00 per day onto your Card, and there is a $2,500.00 total maximum deposit limit per day from all deposit sources (loads and ACH direct deposits). The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $400.00. The daily Cash Advance or "Over the Counter" limit at a bank is reported as $2,500.00/day. Some reports that this is actually / month. Maximum loaded amount on MVD card is $9,999.

If you can find Vanilla Reload cards that you can purchase with a credit card, max out by getting up to 3 registered MyVanilla Debit cards and you can load up to $2500 x 3 per day. And if you have a bank near you that will give you cash advances, you can take the full balance off each card for a $1.95 cent fee.
If you do not have Vanilla Reloads available near you, you want to find a bank that will allow you to cash out temporary cards. These are the ones you buy at CVS for $500 plus $3.95 fee and then cash them out en masse for a 50 cash advance fee apiece.
In Essence
Get new cards, spend some random amount and then get put in shutdown mode to spend off what is left, unless you utilize one old weird trick that prevents shutdown mode.

Liquidating a shut down account as of 3.31.2014
Various reports, and I can also confirm- If you receive the "invalid username or password" message when trying to access your account online, that's the indicator that you have been shut down. Check again for a day or so (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with their website). If still unable to access- you've been shut down.

If you don't want to call and talk to them, you can confirm yourself whether your account is still alive to liquidate by calling 855.686.9513. If you are able to hear your balance, you can liquidate- and you can liquidate quickly without any problem. I liquidated $8,200 over the weekend: 5k Saturday, the remainder Sunday (Walmart BillPay and MO).
Print Wikipost

My Vanilla debit

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 9:30 am
jk2

I bought another MVD card at CVS, but for some reasons I wasn't able to register it (they could not verify my identity for some reasons). That was strange since I already have a MVD card. Anyway, the rep told me that he activated the card and I'm free to use it, but I cannot setup a PIN. Because of this, I want to get rid of this card quickly. I'm thinking about a CA. What is the procedure? Should I go to teller and tell him I want a CA for $500 (amount on the card) or for $498.05 (minus $1.95 CA fee)?
Old May 10, 2013, 8:26 pm

So I have loaded ~$9800 on my card. If I don't want to go through the trouble of MO or Cash advance, could I just ask to close my account. I think I am ok to pay $9.95 fee. Has anyone done this. Do they ask for SSN copy etc before sending the check. Any help is appreciated.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by skyy1234
So I have loaded ~$9800 on my card. If I don't want to go through the trouble of MO or Cash advance, could I just ask to close my account. I think I am ok to pay $9.95 fee. Has anyone done this. Do they ask for SSN copy etc before sending the check. Any help is appreciated.
If you don't care if the account is closed, will be a heckuva lot easier just to do a CA. Of course, you may want to do that in less than $3000 increments, to minimize the chance of a SAR.

But I'm just curious: why did you put nearly $10K on the card if you didn't want to go thru the trouble of unloading it?
Old May 10, 2013, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
If you don't care if the account is closed, will be a heckuva lot easier just to do a CA. Of course, you may want to do that in less than $3000 increments, to minimize the chance of a SAR.

But I'm just curious: why did you put nearly $10K on the card if you didn't want to go thru the trouble of unloading it?
I am thinking that instead of doing CA in 3-4 batches and pay $8 fees and risk SAR etc, it might be just easy to ask them to close the account. and if this works fine, I may do this again.. i.e. get a new card, load close to max and then request check by paying fees. Will it work ?
Old May 11, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by skyy1234
I am thinking that instead of doing CA in 3-4 batches and pay $8 fees and risk SAR etc, it might be just easy to k them to close the account. and if this works fine, I may do this again.. i.e. get a new card, load close to max and then request check by paying fees. Will it work ?
I'm guessing they probably track you by your SSN, and wouldn't allow you keep repeating. I base this on my experience at having been banned by several other programs. Once you're out, you're out. It's also why, even tho I still go pretty large, I work my way up reasonably, always stay just before the maximums, mix in regular spend, etc
Old May 13, 2013, 1:04 am

Looks like supermarket cashback incurs a $1.95 ATM fee. Won't be doing that again, thank you.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:37 am

I noticed on the fine print of the My Vanilla personal reload prepaid card that they have $3.95 a month non-activity fee after 90 days of non-use.

If you have a 0 balance, will you still incur the fee and start incurring a negative balance or does it stop at 0?
Old May 14, 2013, 1:48 pm

removed
Old May 14, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by dawgs
I noticed on the fine print of the My Vanilla personal reload prepaid card that they have $3.95 a month non-activity fee after 90 days of non-use.

If you have a 0 balance, will you still incur the fee and start incurring a negative balance or does it stop at 0?
I suspect nobody knows yet, since when the cards WERE usable many people were using them a lot.

I would guess that the cards would incur the fee at 90 days. If your account was ever monitored and "unofficially" closed, I would close the account to avoid being charged the fee.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:00 pm

If you have 0 balance, fees can not be assessed.
The monthly non activity fee is so that the issuing bank can start to decrease their "liability" of the amount that is loaded on the card until the card reaches 0 balance.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by shingu79
If you have 0 balance, fees can not be assessed.
The monthly non activity fee is so that the issuing bank can start to decrease their "liability" of the amount that is loaded on the card until the card reaches 0 balance.
They will gladly assess fees that bring the balance into the negative.

Whether they will come to collect those fees is anyone's question.
Old May 15, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs

Originally Posted by bobfather
They will gladly assess fees that bring the balance into the negative.

Whether they will come to collect those fees is anyone's question.
I signed up for MVD only to realize that there are better ways to manufacture spend. I'm not going to take chances as they have my SSN. $3 might be a small price to pay against risk of being reported for collection.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:30 am
jk2

I have a question. My card was put on "hold". I called and was told that due to my activity they decided to close my account (according to their words - the card is not for loading and immediate unloading. However, I used it only for big purchases at WM, never did a CA or ATM). Anyway, the rep told me that they would unlock my account for 48 hours in order to let me withdraw the money. I did, but it is almost 5 days after 48 hours deadline and my account is still "active". Is it a glitch or I may continue to load on this card?
Old May 16, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by jk2
I have a question. My card was put on "hold". I called and was told that due to my activity they decided to close my account (according to their words - the card is not for loading and immediate unloading. However, I used it only for big purchases at WM, never did a CA or ATM). Anyway, the rep told me that they would unlock my account for 48 hours in order to let me withdraw the money. I did, but it is almost 5 days after 48 hours deadline and my account is still "active". Is it a glitch or I may continue to load on this card?
They're giving you another chance but they're watching.
Old May 16, 2013, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by jk2
Cancel this card and open new one, start from fresh 'or' I would call them and ask if everything is OK and reset before loading anything on the current card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.