Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craz
Might as well get some Qs answered, right?

Fees

Bill Payment Fee- Electronic/Paper Check: No Charge
(anyone know when it goes electronic vs paper?)

Retail Purchase Fee:$3.95 (some report $0 to purchase, YMMV)

Monthly Maintenance Fee:$5.95 per month (charged 7 days after activation, which is date of purchase! and not the date you assign a Pin or Register the card).
Print Wikipost

Paypower Prepaid Debit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by user150117
how can they do it? Do they just show you a negative account balance, and then, once you reload the account, they deduct all the fees accumulated?
I'm curious what they'll do now, they deducted the monthly maint fee on the 25th and I show a negative balance on my account.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:48 pm

PayPowers scan fine at my three stores (2 Vons and 1 Pavilions). I believe all mine have been the Spanish ones, but within that subset there are two types of packages...

1. has an annoying sticker over the 16 digits on the card front, and almost falls outta the package through the slot left when the cashier tears off the strip that covers the barcode

2. similar strip tears off, but the card comes out more on the side of the packaging or something, maybe look for different placement of the perforations

But they both scan for me.

BTW for anybody else, the first time I set the PIN I wondered if it really took. The activation website implies a 4-step process. Step 2 has PIN, confirm PIN, and CAPTCHA inputs, then a Continue button. Yes, it works -- no need to worry about the remaining 2 steps.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Wonko
... in the meantime PayPower is still free as long I choose my cashiers carefully and it still allowed me to set the PIN a minutes ago.
What is expiration date for this $0 fee PayPower card promotion?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
What is expiration date for this $0 fee PayPower card promotion?
It isn't a promotion, it's printed on the package - YMMV finding them it sounds like. And they say "Cash Only" so YMMV on that too.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:57 am

Univision Prepaid Mastercard from Safeway/Vons

Pay power cards still allowing pin as of today? Need to make some min spend now that I got my citi aa exec. Want to know if these are a good go to still for free ms?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:20 pm

Might as well throw a couple strategies out in this thread...

PayPower
Since there is no fee (although I haven't tested the current "week" re Vons deals tending to run Wednesday to Tuesday) there's a slight advantage to loading 499.99 or something instead of 500.00. The latter requires the manager override card, unlike the former.

Fuel Points
First, the PayPower isn't giving fuel points but most of us have plenty of points and will be using them (from the Univision, for example). Well, it's probably not necessary but some of us like to sometimes "mask" purchases from showing certain totals like 500.00, 505.95, 953.95, etc. The most straightforward way to do that is buy a banana LOL but I prefer something else. My Vons gas stations charge 10c/gal less if I pay with cash, debit, or Vons gift card. So I just figure out how much I'll need to add to the Vons gift card I already have, in order to fill up my near-empty gas tank, and add value to that card bit-by-bit as the "masking" item added to the big item. Some cashiers know how to do it. I believe they punch in a Code 1, then I swipe my Vons gift card. The pin pad terminal displays the current balance and asks me to type in how much I wanna add, so I don't even have to tell the cashier my funny amount ("Why would you need to add $1.03 to your gift card, sir?" LOL). Now that I think about it, I might have to try something similar at CVS...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by haloseven
Pay power cards still allowing pin as of today?
I just tested one of my drained cards.

https://www.paypower.com/Activate
...behaved exactly like it did before, so I would proceed if I were you.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Had my first denial on buying PayPower today. Went to a different Vons than usual and they immediately pointed out the Cash Only on the package. Even went and checked with the manager... Guess I won't be going back to that particular Vons again
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:30 pm

Are all the paypower cards no fee? Including the Spanish ones? I've been picking up only the ones labeled no fee. Also I've found if I tear off the top flap of the pp card I get no pushback on the cash only. Ignorance is bliss. I ht. 5x495 at two stores today. Made paper at Kroger 10 mins later. Hope I can hit my aa 100k min spend on fee frees!

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 10, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
I just tested one of my drained cards.

https://www.paypower.com/Activate
...behaved exactly like it did before, so I would proceed if I were you.
No SSN required when you setup up pins? Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:06 am

Paypower Prepaid Debit Card

Nope. Pin and oh like vgc.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:23 am

So does it allow you to set a PIN without entering the SSN or does it already come with a default PIN? Can it be liquidated through Evolve without activation that requires SSN?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by haloseven
Nope. Pin and oh like vgc.
Just stopped by a store in CT and checked out these cards. There seemed to be two types:
1. prepaid visa
2. prepaid visa travel money
Both seemed to require 3.95 purchase fee and 5.95 monthly fee after 30 days and also at the back said require SSN to activate and of course cash only. Are these the types you are talking about? I was able to purchase a reloadit with CC so I think I should be able to get the prepaid card with CC as well.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
... Are these the types you are talking about?.
No. The no fee version has a big $0 printed on the front of card.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:04 pm

The ones I buy fee-free actually do say 3.95 on the front of the card. And from memory, the receipt shows the load amount (obviously) but does NOT indicate (by, say, having a fee charged and then the next line on the receipt shows the same amount credited) some sort of promo.

P.S. Don't get ones with "Travel" in the title. Or do, and report back, but we have no success reports here re the Travel ones.

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Feb 11, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.