FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Paypower Prepaid Debit Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1421840-paypower-prepaid-debit-card.html)

TroyMcClure Dec 28, 2012 6:23 pm

Paypower Prepaid Debit Card

Anyone use Paypower to generate spend? I have had positive results but am trouble finding a good source of ReLoadit cards. I am only able to buy the initial card with a cc but not the reloads. Unfortunately it asks for SSN so you can't really game the system, have not really tried. If you can find the Reloadit packs its much easier than VR and way cheaper.

GetawaysRus Dec 28, 2012 8:22 pm

I did try PayPower for a while. I thought it might be attractive because I could find reload cards that could be loaded for up to $950. So this would have basically halved my cost in buying reloads.

I was able to make the initial purchase of the PayPower card with a credit card, and I think I bought my first reload pack with a credit card. But I very quickly ran into the same problem as you - the local stores that sell reload cards (which were supermarkets) wanted cash to buy the reloads. It was just too much hassle to try to find cashiers who would let me pay with a credit card. So I abandoned this experiment. I called to cancel my account. It took a few weeks and then I received a check for the account balance.

On to greener pastures....

EL3V3N Dec 29, 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 19936354)
I did try PayPower for a while. I thought it might be attractive because I could find reload cards that could be loaded for up to $950. So this would have basically halved my cost in buying reloads.

I was able to make the initial purchase of the PayPower card with a credit card, and I think I bought my first reload pack with a credit card. But I very quickly ran into the same problem as you - the local stores that sell reload cards (which were supermarkets) wanted cash to buy the reloads. It was just too much hassle to try to find cashiers who would let me pay with a credit card. So I abandoned this experiment. I called to cancel my account. It took a few weeks and then I received a check for the account balance.

On to greener pastures....

You can just cancel the card and rinse/repeat. PP and NS are better in that you can push directly.

michael_v Dec 29, 2012 9:56 am

There is a Monthly Maintenance Fee: $5.95

Dad to GO Jan 1, 2013 7:55 pm

Question... can we use the Paypower reload debit cards to load our Bluebirds at Walmart just like we do with the Paypal card? If so you can count me in because my local supermarket will sell the reloadits up to $950 on CC no problem.

jcmitchell21 Jan 1, 2013 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO (Post 19956400)
Question... can we use the Paypower reload debit cards to load our Bluebirds at Walmart just like we do with the Paypal card? If so you can count me in because my local supermarket will sell the reloadits up to $950 on CC no problem.

In what ways can you cash it out? I've never used it

Dad to GO Jan 1, 2013 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21 (Post 19956526)
In what ways can you cash it out? I've never used it

I'm not sure about cashing it out. I'm more interested in using the funds that are put on the card and load them to my bluebird card to pay mortgage, auto loan, etc.

NYBanker Jan 2, 2013 3:26 am

If paypower is a pin-based debit card, then yes.

I loaded bb once with WF ppd debit at WM (just to try it) and it worked fine.

tonyflyer Jan 2, 2013 9:58 am

Yes, I have done it before, reloading BB with Paypower at WM.

Lucky you that you can get ReloadIt with CC, I gave up since I hardly can find a place that allows it.

AA_EXP09 Jan 2, 2013 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure (Post 19935934)
Anyone use Paypower to generate spend? I have had positive results but am trouble finding a good source of ReLoadit cards. I am only able to buy the initial card with a cc but not the reloads. Unfortunately it asks for SSN so you can't really game the system, have not really tried. If you can find the Reloadit packs its much easier than VR and way cheaper.

I am and in Canada, Safeway has good availability (since almost no one buys the cards.)
In the US I tend to use BB to do the same thing.

tonyflyer Jan 2, 2013 2:09 pm

Safeway in bay area also have plenty of ReloadIt available but most stores won't accept CC.

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 19961015)
I am and in Canada, Safeway has good availability (since almost no one buys the cards.)
In the US I tend to use BB to do the same thing.

drdrew450 Jan 2, 2013 9:52 pm

If you want to use reloadit cards I would suggest account now

Dad to GO Jan 3, 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 19963828)
If you want to use reloadit cards I would suggest the account now silver...because it has bill pay and no monthly fee, just do not use it for transactions cause the fees are like a buck/transaction. I buy them at winn dixie here in FL without much issue.

If there is no monthly fee then getting this card would be the best even if it costs me $1 to load onto my bluebird. That is a lot less than paying a monthly fee of $5.95 like the paypower card would be. I'll definitely look into this.

Thanks for the info everyone!

drdrew450 Jan 3, 2013 2:54 pm

Silver

I have been asked to stop giving out so much info. PM me.

bocastephen Jan 5, 2013 10:34 pm

Worthy to note, although the product is a "debit" card, it's not a PIN debit card, so it cannot be used to buy, for example, money orders....no difference I can see between this card and the Bluebird.