Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
No, you can't ACH from the BB. You can only push into it.
To be clear, you can go either direction, it just needs to originate from BB (ie, BB can pull from your checking account, or BB can push into your checking account).
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by thegasguru
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is going on here???
I have ZERO doubt that guy is on FlyerTalk. I even have a shortlist of likely candidates for who it is
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
shhh! They're watching!

^

I am laughing...uncontrollably. Hey WhateverDude, can I post this pic on my blog. Whatever
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
^

I am laughing...uncontrollably. Hey WhateverDude, can I post this pic on my blog. Whatever
Post away...for the record, I didn't take that pic. It's an internet meme so pretty much public domain.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:06 am
Suspended

Post away...for the record, I didn't take that pic. It's an internet meme so pretty much public domain.
Well, it does look like you're holding the camera with your right hand
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:01 pm

I am still splitting sides when i see it. you dug out a classic.

i think it's adk trying to protect himself from the cardinals. and the cat is ql_714

(ok so this one is likely to be deleted but i can't resist)
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:13 pm

I've been grabbing reload cards occasionally, and I'm finally getting around to moving some money out of Bluebird. I wanted to pay my mortgage, but no matter what I do I can't get it to accept my Chase mortgage info. It says my account number is wrong, or maybe the zip is wrong, or maybe I need to use a 5 or 9-digit zip. I've triple-checked my account number and tried every possible way to enter my zip code that I can think of. Is there a trick to Chase Mortgages that I'm missing?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by gumbotime
I've been grabbing reload cards occasionally, and I'm finally getting around to moving some money out of Bluebird. I wanted to pay my mortgage, but no matter what I do I can't get it to accept my Chase mortgage info. It says my account number is wrong, or maybe the zip is wrong, or maybe I need to use a 5 or 9-digit zip. I've triple-checked my account number and tried every possible way to enter my zip code that I can think of. Is there a trick to Chase Mortgages that I'm missing?
If you're using a 9-digit zip, the "-" tends to cause an error. Also, are you manually entering the payee info to send out a check?

If/when you do get it to work, I'd advise you to first send in a small amount to test it. You don't want to tie up 1000's of $ in case the check goes missing/not credited to your mortgage.

Sometimes, the bill pay on the website seems moody...I've had better luck entering the payee info on their iPhone app. (another thing you could try?)
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by tsmith12
If you're using a 9-digit zip, the "-" tends to cause an error. Also, are you manually entering the payee info to send out a check?

If/when you do get it to work, I'd advise you to first send in a small amount to test it. You don't want to tie up 1000's of $ in case the check goes missing/not credited to your mortgage.

Sometimes, the bill pay on the website seems moody...I've had better luck entering the payee info on their iPhone app. (another thing you could try?)
don't risk paying your mortgage with bluebird, use it to pay back your credit card.

It's the same anyways

Let's say your mortgage is exactly $1000

CC charged $1008 (8 in fees) = $1000 -> mortgage = 1,000 points
CC charged $1008 = $1000 pay back towards credit card = 1,000 points

if bluebird screws up along the way guess what? your credit is going to suffer big time, and potential loss of churning possilibities are DEFINATELY not worth it.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by gumbotime
I don't personally have experience with this, but I think you need to put in Chase's zip (a la the zip code for the address you would mail a check to).
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
I processed my Mortgage payment a few days back via BB. Took 3 days to show up on my Wellsfargo account. Boom!!!
BB isnt half as bad as i thought it would be.

FYI - I paid my mortgage with about 2 weeks to spare - if it wouldnt hit by end of the week, id probably pay via my Checking account.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:26 am

Personally I agree that it is much easier to just BB to pay credit card bill and/or withdraw money back to your bank account. Paying mortgage etc is no real value add above that. For Vision which I am using in a similar fashion I do pay lots of smaller check bills to make the activity look a little more legit, but I have less concern that Amex will just lock me out. If/when the transactions costs get too high they will just lockdown the facilities wholesale IMHO
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by stainlesspoints
I don't personally have experience with this, but I think you need to put in Chase's zip (a la the zip code for the address you would mail a check to).
This is undoubtedly the answer. You have to put in the creditor's zip code, not the debtor's. I've paid my mortgage for the past four months without issue using BB. Before that, I paid my mortgage via online bill payments from a regular checking account--in fact, I copied the information directly from my bank's online bill pay to BB when I added each creditor as a new BB payee. There should be no difference between the two, and I'm sure Amex is happy to have people pay their mortgages from this account.

There should be no issue paying a mortgage or any other bill with a BB account, but you have to pay careful attention to detail to make sure the payment reaches the party correctly. From my review of this thread, the failure to pay attention to detail explains about 95% of the problems encountered.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Personally I agree that it is much easier to just BB to pay credit card bill and/or withdraw money back to your bank account. Paying mortgage etc is no real value add above that.
The value added is simply another 1300x6 points per month and spreading the bill pay around. Doing nothing with BB other than paying a CC bill and dumping into a bank account doesn't seem wise.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
The value added is simply another 1300x6 points per month and spreading the bill pay around. Doing nothing with BB other than paying a CC bill and dumping into a bank account doesn't seem wise.
It ultimately boils down to whether or not you think it is wiser/safer to pay your mortgage than your credit card bill. Personally I do not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.