Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:41 pm

saw a MyVanilla that has a purchase fee and an activation fee? are those fees the same thing? can they be loaded on BB for free?

Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
saw a MyVanilla that has a purchase fee and an activation fee? are those fees the same thing? can they be loaded on BB for free?

that's not what you are looking for
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ianturner
that's not what you are looking for
i know. the VRs were done
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:05 pm

ok so what will be the gameplan for us once CVS does not allow a visa gift card to be used to purchase a VR? What other options are available?

Luckily for me, I am almost up to 5K on my ink, so at least I get the 40K bonus, or whatever it is.

But continuing to get the 5x for my mortgage and car payment would be a great way to continue to rack up miles!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by samnc0
ok so what will be the gameplan for us once CVS does not allow a visa gift card to be used to purchase a VR? What other options are available?
Maybe we'll go back to using our credit cards normally and swiping them at places other than CVS/OD.

It's been a while since I used an actual credit card for something other than OneVanilla or Vanilla Reload.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Tried tonight at a WG in Iowa. Cashier swiped the vanilla card and then said wait, "you might have to pay cash let me try this again" Swiped the card again and a warning came up on his screen saying that the card had to be purchased with cash.

Now I think this may be just a warning and if the cashier ignores it it will work.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:19 pm
umc

Originally Posted by dabeags
Tried tonight at a WG in Iowa. Cashier swiped the vanilla card and then said wait, "you might have to pay cash let me try this again" Swiped the card again and a warning came up on his screen saying that the card had to be purchased with cash.

Now I think this may be just a warning and if the cashier ignores it it will work.
WG stores require cash for VRs for more than a week already. The cashier can't ignore the warning.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dabeags

Ah, no. Just walk away and forget about it.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Man, I thought I was doing well at half that. I assume this is a Citi Dividend card (mine is)?
Yep. I've got $1000 on my Chase card this month too, so I'm at my $5000 max. I've actually got to wait a week to load the cards I got today onto my BB. Makes me a bit nervous having $1000 sitting around on VR cards.

My wife told me she'd "have no part of this scam", otherwise I'd just open a BB account under her name and load it to hers.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hilbe
Yep. I've got $1000 on my Chase card this month too, so I'm at my $5000 max. I've actually got to wait a week to load the cards I got today onto my BB. Makes me a bit nervous having $1000 sitting around on VR cards.

My wife told me she'd "have no part of this scam", otherwise I'd just open a BB account under her name and load it to hers.
Would she not travel with you on the miles you earned, or stay with you in the rooms booked with points you earned?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:17 pm

I think that anytime problems purchasing VR at CVS with a CC is the human factor.

Two times I've had a CVS cashier wonder out loud if these are supposed to be paid for with cash. Both times I casually remind them that "No. It's the Green Dots that need to be paid for with cash. These are fine with a credit card." Then they run them through no problem.

Data points: Half the time the register tells them just to check the last four digits of the credit card I'm using. The other half check the name on my DL vs the CC.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:31 pm

has anyone here recently had sucess at walgreens? I have never had any luck there...just CVS.

I am getting the impression that CVS is the ONLY place that allows a visa gift card to purchase VR. If this is the case, why is CVS the odd-ball?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Guys a dumb question. I cancelled my serve account and registered for the bb account. Received an email stating that we will review an account and will let you know. How long does it take to get an account confirmation email before I ping the BB folks? Got a bunch of VRs sitting at home that i need to utilize...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:37 pm

one more question...i never had any issues with Chase asking me why there are so many charges to office depot, but I don't put more than $3,000 a month on the card, and I try to spend different amounts at OD than just $1,000 or $1,008 each time I stock up on the visa gift cards, and I sprinkle a few other purchases from diffrent establishments on the card as well.

Do you generally do this also? Has anyone had a problem with Chase accusing you of only using the card for the purchase of gift cards?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samnc0
has anyone here recently had sucess at walgreens? I have never had any luck there...just CVS.

I am getting the impression that CVS is the ONLY place that allows a visa gift card to purchase VR. If this is the case, why is CVS the odd-ball?
CVS corporation business decision. Enjoy it while you can. Why ask question? Any "answers" you get here would be pure speculation anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.