Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by timmy83
Approximately how long does it take from registration to receipt of the permanent card?
About two weeks for me.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: AOPA
6 days

I bought it from WM last Sunday, and received the actual card in the mail yesterday.

I can't seem to find an answer to this question. My search has resulted in seeing a few people asking, but no definitive answers.

Approximately how long does it take from registration to receipt of the permanent card? I got Bb, found a CVS with beans on a CC, and would love to not have them sit around forever.

Your responses are appreciated
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
I can't seem to find an answer to this question. My search has resulted in seeing a few people asking, but no definitive answers.

Approximately how long does it take from registration to receipt of the permanent card? I got Bb, found a CVS with beans on a CC, and would love to not have them sit around forever.

Your responses are appreciated
It took mine 7 days to arrive, but that was in November. Some reports now say it's taking 10 days or longer to get a BB.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Sad day today.

So I tried to buy a VR today at my wag. There is now a cash only block on the registers. Employees were given no notice prior to the block appearing at purchase. (I have inside info on this store). I only buy one at a time and maybe one a week but I was counting on this method for the minimum spending on one of my cards.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
It took mine 7 days to arrive, but that was in November. Some reports now say it's taking 10 days or longer to get a BB.
+1^

signed college daughter up (so I can send her spending money easily) on 1/2/2013 and the card arrived in the mail on 1/11/2013.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by DCBob
What are you waiting FOR? There are oodles of VR cards at every SuperAmerica gas station in Minneapolis. If you want VRs, just walk in to one of their locations. You can also get 2x miles/points on the many CCs that give bonus points for gas station purchases, like the United MileagePlus Select Visa card.
"Paging Captain Obvious, you have call on the Red Courtesy Phone..." So much for keeping this encrypted.

And yes, the change is from yesterday, when I had no issues at one of my regular stores, but today there was... a disturbance in the Force.

And +1 for the double points/miles AND the 7th reload free on the SA rewards. I could buy at SeeVeeEs, but only as a last resort to meet minimum spend.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450
Just got off the phone with amex financial review, they wanted to know why I was buying gift cards and I tried to explain to them i have a trip coming up and I wanted the points now rather than later...I was not expecting to answer questions about my specific purchases. Just thought I was going to give them access to my taxes.

She seemed satisfied, just a heads up, didn't think I could explain thousands of gift cards as just gifts.

She also asked about my job and income but did not ask for access to my taxes.

Thoughts?
I'd stay away from Amex as much as possible since they can theoretically see the money being spent on their cards and then $500 transactions getting uploaded to BB which is also their product. Easier to get flagged. On another note, on a financial review do you have to submit written proof? I'm wondering what happens if you tell them your employer regularly requires you to buy GCs for its employees and customers and reimburses you for the cost so these aren't really your expenses?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by Happy
From where the clerks need permissions? I
t is because they dont know if they can sell it with CC payments or it is because your card does not go thru and the system prompted the clerks to call (the bank) for authorizations?

Very different things. And the latter has NOTHING to do with whether the stores have seen you before and you have ID to present.
Authorization call is to off-duty managers, even before swiping my cc.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by kdinino
What website online are you buying the cards? Curious if can leverage any of the shopping malls websites too
bigcrumbs to amex gc - there are threads on flyertalk about it.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:28 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Looking to pay off my (small) USAirways Barclays MC bill. Would like to use Bluebird. This is a new card for me, my first statement (and with a very small payment).

The CC statement says to make checks payable to "Card Services". There's no mention of either Barclays Bank (who I assume is the actual payee) or US Airways (which seems to be the "branding"). On Bluebird, if I search on the terms below, I get the result listed to the right of it (search term > result):

Barclay > BARCLAY BANK DELAWARE
Card Services > CARD SERVICES (no address or parent corp given)
USAir or US Air > no matches

Given how non-specific the first two items are, I'm reluctant to fire off a check to such a generic name.

Has anyone here paid your USAirways credit card with Bluebird? If so, what did you enter?

Thanks!
I successfully paid my US AIR MC using "BARCLAYS BANK DELEWARE" from the BB list of existing payees earlier in the week. Already came across on my US AIR CC acct as a payment.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by freetravelguys
I'd stay away from Amex as much as possible since they can theoretically see the money being spent on their cards and then $500 transactions getting uploaded to BB which is also their product. Easier to get flagged. On another note, on a financial review do you have to submit written proof? I'm wondering what happens if you tell them your employer regularly requires you to buy GCs for its employees and customers and reimburses you for the cost so these aren't really your expenses?
They did not need anything in writing. The call I got was from the financial review dept but I do not think it was a full Financial Review.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by freetravelguys
Every CC company can see what you're buying.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Every CC company can see what you're buying.
Not so, depending on the POS tech the merchant is using. There are multiple levels of information reported, and most merchants do not report itemized purchases to the credit card company.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:44 pm

I went to 12 WG's today where a few allowed CC and a few I'd never been to and now ALL of them require cash. This is dead in the Denver metro area.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Superorb
I went to 12 WG's today where a few allowed CC and a few I'd never been to and now ALL of them require cash. This is dead in the Denver metro area.
Wow, big props for going to that length.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.