Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:19 am

I personally think VRs are not going to dry up and this should continue for quite a while. Over the past month as I have driven to and from work and various errands I have stopped at over 15 CVSs in the area. Two stores had no VRs, the rest had at least 10, and 5 had 30+. With OD there were endless opportunities for 5X points which could be used for airlines, hotels, ... etc.. Now you are basically getting points at a good discount at a couple of hotel chains. I think for most people the thrill of the hunt will fade in the next month or two and VRs will not be difficult to find. I would also expect that other chains will start carrying them. There will continue to be a very small minority of people who will buy $5K per month to use with BB if they dont have to deviate much from their daily routine when purchasing them.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by ctbarron
Has anyone tried to pay a spouse's credit card bill? I'm not sure if the names not matching (my Bluebird, wife's CC) would cause an issue. I do have the same credit card, albeit with a different account #.

If this has been discussed (couldn't find it exactly), send me in the right direction.
Works fine.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eltex
This is a funny discussion, and both sides probably are right and wrong, on certain levels. But in the end, I think we all expect CVS to end this game eventually, so you have to factor that into the equation. Will pestering managers and threatening lawsuits help extend the life of the beans, or will it hasten the end of beans at CVS.

Yesterday, I was buying a single bean, and the clerk hesitated and said I needed to use cash. I acted surprised(bought here before) and mentioned I've done it before. She rang it up and saw that it was going to work, but was still hesitant. I think she was scared of the ramifications for her job if I was engaging in some sort of fraud. She asked if she could call the mgr to verify, and I said of course. She did, mgr said it was fine if the ID matched, and I was on my way. That is about as far as I would push on a single transaction. I would not try to argue or threaten or anything like that, but we each have our line that we are comfortable with.

My line is just fairly conservative, as I want CVS to keep the beans going for as long as possible, so I am trying to avoid stirring any trouble.
Similar story here. There is a CVS in one of the most affluent part of the county where I have bought a few beans on several occasions. On Monday afternoon the cashier just needed to see the ID and the CC to match the name before scanned 2 VRs. He was so quick that I hadn't even had a chance to see he already dumped the VRs into the bag where he also put the 2 jars of peanut butter we were also buying.

On Tuesday we passed the same store in the morning and a different cashier was on duty. Despite she asked "debit or credit?" She was very unsure and wanted to call the manager to come over. While we were waiting for the manager, she kept telling me "The camera is watching us, I dont want anything wrong happen to either you and me." I told her to just relax, as we bought the same item here a few times already. Manager came over, just looked at the register screen but did not say a word as the cashier showed it to him. Transaction went thru smoothly, except she was a bit startled when I handed her $1 ExtraCare Buck to apply on other items in the same transaction - she totally forgot those and had to look in the bag to make sure. After we were done the cashier again, said "you know the camera is watching us and I want to make sure what I do is approved by the manager. Else I could lose my job." I thank her for being careful and we parted in a pleasant way.

People have to understand that a lot of times the cashiers are very uncomfortable in a transaction that easily worth more than their bi-weekly pay checks, in essentially being CASH. They are fearful that in case you are engaging in something illegal, they may be reprimanded for not being watchful, and they may lose their jobs which many are really depending on it.

Why some of the posters cannot be more considerate and think from the store employee's side for a minute?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Citi AA Biz and BB

Has anyone successfully utilized BB to pay their Citi AA Biz credit card bill? I see Citi Cards and Citibank Credit Cards as payees options. Any help is appreciated.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
People have to understand that a lot of times the cashiers are very uncomfortable in a transaction that easily worth more than their bi-weekly pay checks, in essentially being CASH. They are fearful that in case you are engaging in something illegal, they may be reprimanded for not being watchful, and they may lose their jobs which many are really depending on it.

Why some of the posters cannot be more considerate and think from the store employee's side for a minute?
Other than the palpable DYKWIAism of some folks, there's no reason they shouldn't. We've talked about high spends at drug stores in this thread, but it's useful to keep in mind that most high prescription spends are taken at the back prescription register where the pharmacist (in some instances, the real manager on duty) handles the transaction.

On the other hand, the folks at the front register are generally not handling too many purchases way in excess of $100, such as you'll see with VR purchases. Training or the understanding of training by clerks can be very uneven. In addition, gift cards, prepaid cards, debit cards, and the like vary in the amount loaded onto the card from $25 to $500, with many I'm sure in the lower regions.

I bought a VR today along with some gift cards that are destined to be stocking stuffers. The gift cards were $25 apiece; I loaded the VR to the max. The clerk was hesitant, quickly asking for both ID and my credit card. She then consulted with a manager who walked her through the process. During this entire time, I kept quiet but occasionally nodded, smiled, and said "no problem" when the clerk apologized for the delay.

I agree that many of these folks are simply afraid--put yourself in their shoes for a minute, and you might understand what losing pay or a job could mean. I know that might be difficult when you feel someone is interfering with your right (?) to get a seat in first class and a room at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome, but really, especially here at the holiday season, it might do you some good. Including keeping a clerk or even her manager from simply refusing to deal with the combative approach some folks seem to think they should take.

I supervise a group of people who are involved in public contact. They have very strict instructions from me to remain polite to the folks who interact with them, but I've also told them that if abuse, including a raised voice, threats, or slurs, occurs, they may politely but firmly tell the person that their supervisor has told them they don't need to take abuse from anyone and if the person doesn't calm down, then they will break off the interaction--after they give the person my name as the person who instituted this policy.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: Northwest, United
...Why some of the posters cannot be more considerate and think from the store employee's side for a minute?
^ ^ Happy and lwildernorva

Aside from violating the general advice that covers pretty much everything in life ("don't be a jerk"), trying to bully a clerk or a manager is simply counter-productive. The sale of VRs on credit cards can easily end any time (and probably will eventually). They're already impossible to buy with a credit card in most locations that sell them, and all it takes is some local or regional manager to decide that's too much potential risk (or just too much of a hassle), and poof, that avenue is closed. Poking your finger in the eye of the person who can easily shut this down is not a very smart way of ensuring it continues.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Happy

I was asked to pay cash yesterday, I left in a hurry.
when I am asked $500 'cash' I feel the business is encouraging the drug money. I am told its to prevent 'fraud' I see no difference between someone buying a $500 TV or a gift card. Buyer can quickly spend the gift card which cannot be traced ... or buy a TV and hide it, whats the difference in preventing a fraud? but I know a credit card payments are traceable(even if its stolen, leaves data trail)....a safer transaction for cashier, some $100 bills (cash) can be counterfeit - not good for cashiers......

note: HSBC bank paid 1.7 billion fine for accepting 'cash' deposits form drug dealers in Mexico last week. 2 years ago then Wachovia bank now Wells Fargo bank paid similar fine for similar offense. I am not comfortable encouraging any cash transaction.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
^ ^ Happy and lwildernorva

Aside from violating the general advice that covers pretty much everything in life ("don't be a jerk"), trying to bully a clerk or a manager is simply counter-productive. The sale of VRs on credit cards can easily end any time (and probably will eventually). They're already impossible to buy with a credit card in most locations that sell them, and all it takes is some local or regional manager to decide that's too much potential risk (or just too much of a hassle), and poof, that avenue is closed. Poking your finger in the eye of the person who can easily shut this down is not a very smart way of ensuring it continues.
If the sale of VRs on credit cards can easily end any time (and probably will eventually) a new program will emerge, they always do. After mint this started there is life after death.....be positive and optimistic
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prasha11
I was asked to pay cash yesterday, I left in a hurry.
when I am asked $500 'cash' I feel the business is encouraging the drug money. I am told its to prevent 'fraud' I see no difference between someone buying a $500 TV or a gift card. Buyer can quickly spend the gift card which cannot be traced ... or buy a TV and hide it, whats the difference in preventing a fraud? but I know a credit card payments are traceable(even if its stolen, leaves data trail)....a safer transaction for cashier, some $100 bills (cash) can be counterfeit - not good for cashiers......

note: HSBC bank paid 1.7 billion fine for accepting 'cash' deposits form drug dealers in Mexico last week. 2 years ago then Wachovia bank now Wells Fargo bank paid similar fine for similar offense. I am not comfortable encouraging any cash transaction.
HSBC and Wells Fargo KNOWINGLY facilitated such money laundering scheme as in some incidents multiple large amounts of cash were deposited into one single account day after day and then transferred out to offshore accounts...

Before you make such analogy (which is not even a good analogy in many fronts but that is too OT), you should at least get the facts straight instead of just headliners.

If you are not comfortable in cash transactions the way you feel the stores are handling, by all means, contact the district manager and regional manager and may be the executive office to voice your concern - that you are afraid drug money may be used to buy the reloadables...if the stores want cash only. Tell the higher-ups that the stores are in essence facilitate such illicit act if they only take cash.

Hey, Walgreen should be your No.1 chain to initiate such action - as virtually 90% of the Walgreen stores are reportedly cash only.

Get on the Crusader act to be a worthy citizen, to prevent drug money laundering illicit act in the country, not just for your little VR pursuit. You are after a much bigger issue that affects Public's well being... such a noble clause...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I was hungry for some beans while driving through the city whose bird rises from the ashes. Stopped on East Cannon for lunch. After buying my lunch on CC, there were 37 beans left. Cashier said nothing other than Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mizzou1
Or perhaps anything more than 2.5K is being greedy! or 7K or 4k?
How could you determine the threshold of greed? Are you using the monthly limit of Bluebird as a threshold of greed? That would be a funny correspondence! If Bluebird drops its limits, no one would be greedy then! Or if Bluebird tightens its limits, some people suddenly fall into the greed zone!
It's obviously being greedy when you buy more than you can possibly load in one month. So when somebody who bought more VR cards than can be loaded during the month starts asking how to unload them other than on BB .... THAT is greedy.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Artemk
There is always PP reloads, but as this has been mentioned here previously - it's a dangerous game. They close accounts left and right. The only way to get the funds out - to transfer to checking account, and this is what (I hope) everybody here is trying to avoid with BB.
Actually there is another way to move money from a Paypal reload to your pocket without using Paypal-->bank account. There is a BB alternative out there...but the issue is buying the PP reload card - as the only places you can reliably buy a reload card with your CC or Gift Card are OD (which doesn't carry PP reloads) or CVS (which could close the tap any day, any moment).

If someone wants to PM me with some specifics on where you can buy a PP reload card using a credit card or gift card (not including CVS), I will reply to that PM with the name of the BB alternative.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:44 pm

re

I am also looking for the best alternative for BB to unload VRs. If any suggestion, please PM me too.
there is no current alternative, since onevanilla does not unload like BB does. The best way is to get additional family members to sign up for BB and empty through their cards...know your limitations and don't buy too many beans to grind.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
It's obviously being greedy when you buy more than you can possibly load in one month. So when somebody who bought more VR cards than can be loaded during the month starts asking how to unload them other than on BB .... THAT is greedy.
I'm not weighing in on the greed issue, but there are other ways to use VR cards other than BB. VR were not designed with a $5000 cap in mind. There are simple ways to use them at much greater levels than $5000 a month.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Or perhaps anything more than 2.5K is being greedy! or 7K or 4k?
How could you determine the threshold of greed? Are you using the monthly limit of Bluebird as a threshold of greed? That would be a funny correspondence! If Bluebird drops its limits, no one would be greedy then! Or if Bluebird tightens its limits, some people suddenly fall into the greed zone!
Didn't you say that you have purchased VRs that you don't know what to do with ....? I think that's the first sign of greed....

Last edited by amolkold; Dec 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.