Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Manager was called at CVS. No problem, he said I had to use cash and I told him it was a reload card and not a debit card and that placated him, but there was a line who saw it, I left, and then it got freaky.

Some guy saw I was buying $1k worth of VR and before long there was a set of headlights that were very suspiciously following me, up until I drove to a nearby police station.

Be careful out there.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Some guy saw I was buying $1k worth of VR and before long there was a set of headlights that were very suspiciously following me, up until I drove to a nearby police station.

Be careful out there.
Crap, I can't keep up with CVS locations, now I need to learn police stations too?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Artemk
Crap, I can't keep up with CVS locations, now I need to learn police stations too?
+1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:59 pm

I tried 4 CVS in Chicago. One near downtown and 3 in downtown. Only one out of the four sell them and for the one store that sell them the beans in that one are all gone. sigh. Such a hot cake.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
I know the profit margins are for naught/minor at best, but if these places just made people sign up for their rewards programs to buy VR/GCs, then introduced a measure to verify entered information (open for suggestions), they'd have the lot of us hook line and sinker. Avoid a good amount of fraud and get schlubs like us in there buying VR, soda, and candy bars. Not to mention the marketing sales they'd get by selling off our addresses and emails.

Please someone show me the obvious fault in that logic I just know I'm missing. Too many holiday parties...

Last edited by frozyn; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:49 pm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG gold, PC Plat, CC gold
Originally Posted by NYBanker
...as a final kicker, I'm parking the cash at BankDirect for a few extra miles till my cc bills are due.
+1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:47 pm
umc

I went to 4 different CVS stores in Sacramento today found no VR. I see plenty of the black MyVanilla Reloadable card. Is there some way to work with these my vanilla card?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by umc
I went to 4 different CVS stores in Sacramento today found no VR. I see plenty of the black MyVanilla Reloadable card. Is there some way to work with these my vanilla card?
AP for a nominal amount.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 1:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by smitty06
At CVS today, the clerk firmly stated, "you have to pay with a credit or debit card!" when I handed her my VR . I think I found my new favorite clerk.

Too much risk accepting cash.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
$79 for 10K SPG is well worth it.
Absolutely! You can stay at the Aloft New York Brooklyn for 7,000 Starpoints per night, which costs only $55.30 using VR. Try staying there on any night for $55.30. Even during the slowest period of the year, you'd have to pay at least $129.00 a night.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:30 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hsilman
We're looking at $79 for 10k points, which while nothing to scoff at, isn't that valuable on the face. You'd end up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $275 to get enough points for your usual domestic redemption.

Guess the key is to find bonus categories, passthroughs(buying "gift" debit cards at a bonus category store), etc. Not for the faint of heart, eh?
Not necessary to find bonus categories at all. SPG points are worth about 2.5 cents each - use the SPG Amex. Also, the US Airways Premier World MasterCard® allows redemptions at 20K for domestic air travel (you get a 5K discount). That's just $158 R/T. Where have you seen long-haul domestic flights recently for $158 R/T?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
Not necessary to find bonus categories at all. SPG points are worth about 2.5 cents each - use the SPG Amex. Also, the US Airways Premier World MasterCard® allows redemptions at 20K for domestic air travel (you get a 5K discount). That's just $158 R/T. Where have you seen long-haul domestic flights recently for $158 R/T?
interesting. I'll definitely look into the possibilities!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
my VR hotspot See Vee Ess is no more in Dover, DE. Have been buying there with one Vanilla's directly from the manager in the past and today no more. Cash only directly from the manager that I have purchased from before. I tried the argument of its not a prepaid debit card so it doesnt fall into that memo and he wouldnt budge...said the registers wouldnt allow it and wouldnt even try a transaction to see.......now I gotta figure out how to dump these One Vanillas
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:24 am

is the Vanilla load to Bluebird $1k per day or $1k per 24 hours?

I loaded 1k after midnight ET, it posted with a 12/13 date to bluebird. Now I get an error when trying to load another card. Do I need to wait 24 hours?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by hsilman
interesting. I'll definitely look into the possibilities!
Plus, you have bonus transfers...spg to avios right now is a key one (which is why i just banked 10K points this month alone on SPG spend with CVS) 20K spg turns into a little over 31K avios. That's short haul first class roundtrip on AA for $158. Shoot, most would pay $158 just for a coach roundtrip. NYC-Montreal rarely drops below $300 for coach, yet now you can buy first class for $158. Go with Amex GC's through BC, and now you are getting paid to cash in your points for first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.