Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:36 am

I have seen no beans in bay area CVS at all, I wonder if we will ever see them before CVS completely shutdown the game.

Originally Posted by lolopot
Am tired of walking into local CVS stores and not find any beans. And then I come home to read how people are "hided" them.
Has anyone seen beans at a Bay Area CVS?
PM will be much appreciated!!!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, BA, HH
I'll be interested in seeing if CVS in FL restocks.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I add a little further spin on my use of the revolving cards--I buy something somewhere else, before and after the VR purchase. Keeps me earning/renewing miles/points (for those programs where miles/points expire without activity) while, I'm hoping, keeping the CC issuer guessing.
I do this, too - every time. Can't hurt.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by TravelTexan
Yes, that is my plan as well- once a week changing around credit cards (especially will use Chase Freedom in 1st quarter 2013 for drug store 5x) between Chase, BofA and Citibank. Plus I usually have a couple of items I need to pick up as well while I am there so the total is never $503.95, but $521.26 for example the other day.
I always grab something extra while I'm there too. I never get any weird looks and I feel that CVS is at least making a small profit on something else that I can make use of anyway. I bought soup last night and it was even cheaper than Vons.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:24 pm

For those of you who have actually had a BB billpay check sent to you, what does the check look like? Does it have the sender's name and address? How conspicuous is the "Account number?" I have used bank bill payment services in the past and they usually state something to the effect of "For our mutual customer Account #XXXXX." Is this how the BB billpay checks are?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:25 pm

CVS Train ending soon?

Two of the CVS that I bought the beans yesterday, just shut off today. Both claimed they received calls from corporate with specific instructions. Both said that corporate claimed fraudulent activity monitoring is the reason.

One CVS said I can only buy 1 card at a time with Cash. The other said I can only purchase 2 cards, 1k worth max per customer and has to be cash or debit card with a PIN. The transaction will go through as a credit, but the employees and managers are instructed to not process them and corporate is monitoring these transactions carefully.

Both of them clearly received calls yesterday, as there was no issue in purchasing them yesterday. Time for a countdown?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Both claimed they received calls from corporate with specific instructions. Both said that corporate claimed fraudulent activity monitoring is the reason.
A nearby location that had been out of cards restocked over the weekend, so I tried to buy two VRs for $500 each yesterday. I was told "cash only", but I was able to swipe my own card on the POS terminal and press credit. The transaction went through as a credit purchase, and the clerk didn't bat an eyelash. Get 'em while they last! ^
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
A nearby location that had been out of cards restocked over the weekend, so I tried to buy two VRs for $500 each yesterday. I was told "cash only", but I was able to swipe my own card on the POS terminal and press credit. The transaction went through as a credit purchase, and the clerk didn't bat an eyelash. Get 'em while they last! ^
Even if you hit Credit, the clerk has to enter the last 4 digits of the card and (probably) can see that it is a credit transaction. Unless the clerk is not paying attention or ignoring the instructions, it will be difficult.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
beginner's luck

bought my first VR today at my local CVS. Paid with CC, no problems at all ^
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Even if you hit Credit, the clerk has to enter the last 4 digits of the card and (probably) can see that it is a credit transaction. Unless the clerk is not paying attention or ignoring the instructions, it will be difficult.
I don't know whether or not the clerk had specific instructions, but I just handed her my card after I swiped and pressed credit.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:14 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I've been to 7 different CVS' in my area in the past 2 weeks and 4 of them have accepted credit cards for VR's, 2 did not, and 1 was out of them... sooo.... yeah me! :P
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Gonna be in DTW over xmas instead of NYC-any recommendations from the motor city?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Silver color "one vanilla" from OD. It says "debit" and it rings as debit in the store by default.
Thanks. It seems that My Vanilla can be registered as debit after purchase and loaded to certain Amex cards, but not BB.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:26 pm

I went to a CVS last night and bought a bean with the remaining balance I had on one of my Amex gc's. I put $460 on it, swiped the card as normal, then turn and handed my card to the cashier. She looked at me weird and I said you are going to need to enter the last four on my card. She goes "oh...well, how did you know that?" I said i've bought a few. She looked at the bean and kind of asked "so, and it's reloadable?"...so i said not really, i take those and load them onto my BB and showed her the card. She looked at my amex gc and asked "so, you won this or something? That must be nice"...it had the $2k listed on the front. I just said yeah...it was obvious she was oblivious to what they were or how they were used, so i wasn't going to begin to tell her i buy them. Until I get another blue bird or my newly ordered amex gc's, i won't be able to check out the info above about beans not being sold anymore or being pulled. I've hit my limit, so i'm done for a few days using just credit cards.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:46 pm

Any of you find a store that doesn't charge the premium on the loaded amount? I came across one random store that must have it coded wrong in the computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.