Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:47 am

Hello!
I went to 2 different CVS this morning and both stated that the transaction needed an "alternate payment method". I was able to buy a Vanilla Reload this Monday with my Chase Sapphire.

Am I missing something? Are AMEX SPGs not allowed for gift cards?
Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chokichoki
Hello!
I went to 2 different CVS this morning and both stated that the transaction needed an "alternate payment method". I was able to buy a Vanilla Reload this Monday with my Chase Sapphire.

Thanks
when they say alternitive payment needed, politely ask to scan the card again, you can tell them sometimes the magnetic strip is funny on this card, upon second swipe of same card it goes right through.
was this the same store you used your sapphire card at on monday?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Hunting Season

I'm going vanilla hunting this weekend. I have mace to ward of other FTers, camouflage, netting and scope. I just need a decoy, perhaps a double cheeseburger or pudding cups at the far side of the store.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
anyone?
I was able to link a Schwab account using the 2 deposits method.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
Great now I want In N out.

Originally Posted by poptarts
All right, all right, if you come to SNA, I will sell you a few that I have picked up on the black market, but first we go to In-n-Out Burger, then ice cream.
Ohhh do they have that pretty little ice cream logo on them too?
Double Double Animal Style please. With fries.

Originally Posted by deant
In fact if you come to SNA I will take you to a special spot that has VR available that you can buy but...............
But? I have to pay toll? I need to bake you cupcakes? I need to buy your a burger? All of which are possible. And of course I'll buy your burger with my CS cuz I need that dining bonus.

Originally Posted by poptarts
I'm going vanilla hunting this weekend. I have mace to ward of other FTers, camouflage, netting and scope. I just need a decoy, perhaps a double cheeseburger or pudding cups at the far side of the store.
HA! Now I know where to look. At the see vee ess next to the Double Double, behind the pudding cups, in the fridge section.

pstttt hey YOU! Over there! Pudding's on sale! ::hides the VR by the diabetic foods::
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:22 pm

Church charitable contributions

I've paid several bills with Bluebird; each payee has been in the system. My wife and I would like to make tax-deductible church charitable contributions using Bluebird's bill payment, which will require us to enter the church's address and such. As far as I can figure, this shouldn't be any issue, but I just want to make sure: I'm not missing anything that could potentially make this a problem, am I?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
SPG works just fine. Try another store/day/cashier.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by skiwindham
Money laundering is a scheme to hide ill-gotten money.

[ . . . ]

What am I missing?
Stolen credit cards.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:46 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I hope not...

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I've paid several bills with Bluebird; each payee has been in the system. My wife and I would like to make tax-deductible church charitable contributions using Bluebird's bill payment, which will require us to enter the church's address and such. As far as I can figure, this shouldn't be any issue, but I just want to make sure: I'm not missing anything that could potentially make this a problem, am I?
I've done this several times already so I hope there is no issue.

Anita
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
when they say alternitive payment needed, politely ask to scan the card again, you can tell them sometimes the magnetic strip is funny on this card, upon second swipe of same card it goes right through.

Yep, It was & yes I had them swipe the card twice & it still didn't go through
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
maybe they are hard coded cash only now at that particular store.
in the word of a wise man JB "Breath in breath out, move on"
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:05 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
The moral of the story is if you try once and it doesn't work.... just go somewhere else and try again... Rinse and repeat.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:46 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by particlemn
Hello!

Thanks
Here's my experience today:

I bought one VR with Amex GC with no issues at CVS.

Got a new Amex GC and went to another store with VR and got "alternate payment method" error. They tried multiple times. Then went back to the original store where I had success, and got same error.

Is the Amex card 'too new'? The original successful purchase was one I bought a few days ago.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
You could have also triggered a fraud alert on your card if it says alternate payment. Call the bank as well...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BTA
Here's my experience today:

I bought one VR with Amex GC with no issues at CVS.

Got a new Amex GC and went to another store with VR and got "alternate payment method" error. They tried multiple times. Then went back to the original store where I had success, and got same error.

Is the Amex card 'too new'? The original successful purchase was one I bought a few days ago.
Did you go online and check the balance on the Amex card to make sure that the load went through? Some stores say it can take an hour or two to actually load.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.