Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by stalker
Anyone seen this on trying to billpay?
I seen the same error message while trying to put in the apt where I live. I tried several different combinations with the zip code and other combos with the account number and such and was not able to get it to go through. I decided to try again in the morning and if it does not work I will send the money to my bank and then pay the apt mgr.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Tried doing a search on both threads but didn't see: Can you pay using an email address from bluebird to serve and vice versa?
I successfully sent serve to bb
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Gold
Traveling this weekend has given me opportunity to check out some CVS's in a new town. Someone had cleaned off the Vanilla Reload rack
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
With no mortgage and car payment, no personal debt at all, I've just been paying my CCs with the Bird. Amex, Chase and Citi. It's been working really well. I feel like I live in Brazil! Does anyone out there know what I mean by that last remark???
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
With no mortgage and car payment, no personal debt at all, I've just been paying my CCs with the Bird. Amex, Chase and Citi. It's been working really well. I feel like I live in Brazil! Does anyone out there know what I mean by that last remark???
I've paid about 12 different bills with BB. Mortgage, car, several credit cards, and a few others. No problems with any payment. The car payment took one day longer than expected, but that was it.

Yes I understand that last remark. Does that mean that I read MMS???
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I remember when that MMS bio came out last month, and every one of us living in the US were green with envy. Now we've got things just as good!

Last edited by Preacher7; Nov 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:32 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Hm. Maybe I should post an auction on FT for Brazilian nationality. Then I don't have to worry about all this crap.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by caGALINDO:19730217
Hm. Maybe I should post an auction on FT for Brazilian nationality. Then I don't have to worry about all this crap.
Just so it's not a cash only auction!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 2:46 pm

overpay credit card

Is it possible to overpay a credit card using BB and then request a refund check from the credit card?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Achilles
Is it possible to overpay a credit card using BB and then request a refund check from the credit card?
Sounds like a great way to get your CC and your BB accounts shut down.

Normally refunds are processed the same way the money was received. However with BB being new I don't suspect that anyone has definitive information on how a BB payment would be "reversed".

Also, even if you were able to overpay and request a check, you would need to not make any charges to the CC until AFTER they have processed the refund.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:59 pm

sorry if this has been answered before, i searched the thread and couldn't find an answer. if i close my serve account to open a bluebird account will amex be able to transfer the leftover serve funds to bluebird or will they send a check? i'm trying to avoid withdrawing the funds directly to my bank because i used a credit card to add the funds and i'd prefer not to have the account flagged! thanks in advance for any insight!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Yes it is different strokes for different folks. It is interesting how you won't see many colleagues of mine saying what I am saying, they want to get a hold of YOUR money because that is how THEY can make some money

Here is my approach, in GENERAL:

-Skills/career/good stable job - Build on skills/Networking/etc.
-6 months emergency fund (Bank Direct, even with the darn $12 monthly fee) Maybe 3 or 4 months if both spouses are working & at least one has a stable job
-Long term retirement/college funding plan w/ plenty of conservative assumptions. Of course, maximizing 401k Plans is non negotiable!
-No debt other than mortgage. Avoid car loans too...have short term funding goals for such short term expenses!
-Keep plugging away. Diversify, keep investment costs low, rebalance in regular intervals (I prefer twice a year but annually is fine) and don't do anything stupid tax wise.
-Windfall or some extra cash and the above are set. Do what make you feel better. If you want to pay towards principal it is FINE. You know what you are getting in return and getting that HUGE moment of being debt free much closer. Yes, interest rates are low. Yes, you COULD probably make more. But it is NOT guaranteed return. Stuff happens. I can tell you stories of what happened to people (not clients) with the dot bombs & then in late 2008 you will weep to eternity.

And this is my story and am sticking to it.

Now, let's not fog the issue of having no debt at all AND how it affects your credit score and cc churning, cough
I indeed have friends regret forever that when they had it good in 2000, foolishly not paying off their mortgages with their paper wealth so they could have owned their expensive CA homes debt free, but instead choosing to either keep their paper wealth or margine it to more "investments"... We all know how the story has ended. One of them still does not have much of equity in her CA home. The other still have mortgages and college tuition for his children to worry about despite he now works for GOOG. (decent compensation but not much to talk about in terms of stock option appreciation.)

I also have friends who cashed out their paper wealth, paid taxes AND their mortgages and they became debt free / worry free ever since. This has allowed a couple to pursuit their dreams of changing careers - now the wife is an environment engineer heading a division in Chevron instead of a software engineer and the husband is a freelance consultant including Tivo on his client roster.

Oh, the lady who still does not have much of equity in her CA home, at one time laughed at the choice of a young college grad who cashed out the option at CSCO after 2 years joining the company post graduation, bought a 700K home with cash... That was mid 2000, the bubble just showed the first cracks....

Different strokes for different people indeed. Also some tend to forget that investment return is NOT guaranteed.

Now back to normal programming.

CVS in my county is a mixed bag - 2/3 of them do not even carry the VR. Unlike in other cities, ironically those do not carry VR are in less affluent zones of the county while the few I found carrying the VR are in zones that homes start at 300's, more like 400's being the norm. (given the county's median family income is barely 50K, 300's price tag for a house is by no means cheap.) Folks living in 400K homes certainly would not need a VR and BB to meet their financial needs? Interesting district manager's decision is all I could guess - the district managers of the lower income zones are obviously more afraid of crime... In one CVS all the electrical tooth brushes, teeth-whitening stuff, and even condom, are locked behind glass cases set up in the aisles because of rampant shoplifting...

Last edited by Happy; Nov 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Interesting but I wonder what the rest of the story involves and what the unrelated events happened to be. Too cryptic to be of use.

Did she give you more details to her banking woes? Was her debt reaching further than her assets? Was she transferring balances to delay payments? Is she a hoarder?

My point is she could have been creating a real financial mess. I've watched friends get themselves into problems with internet shopping. Then there's the friends I've watched purchase tupperware, home decor and baskets at parties when they didn't have the money but got caught in the buying craze with the crowd. Card churning could go like that too. One friend does it so another goes along with the scheme and gets caught in a debt of cc mess.
AFA I am told, she does not carry CC debts, pays in full every cycle but almost always pays at very close to due date.

The unrelated even was an ATM malfunctioning when she deposited a couple thousands dollar after banking hours - she called to report that and immediately deposited again because she needed to pay 2 credit card bills. Eventually Fraud dept cleared the reported ATM failure and refunded her the missing cash. However her Chase bank accounts were eventually shut down shortly after that. She insisted it was triggered by the above event. She asked me should she contact yet another government agency to voice her grievances. To that I have no comment. My guess is once you get on Chase's "bad customer list", your SSN would be flagged and the bank could scrutinize your banking activities. The bank would then find any excuse to get rid of you.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deant
Have a question for all of you that are having issues paying your mortgage. What is a mortgage? We own our house free and clear so I don't understand the concept of a mortgage.
Originally Posted by deant
Correct. But the way I look at deductions is that you only get about 25 cents back for every dollar you deduct (at the most considering the standard deduction). Not a good investment.
You are in good company.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 5:50 pm

I tried to sign up for a BB card online and was asked to input my SS # and other personal info. Is this normal to get card? And everyone was comfortable doing this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.