Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
would you consider that to be somewhat of a risk to getting shut down on the Bluebird? or like a Financial review sorta thing.
This has only been available for a few weeks. Noone has any idea until it happens. You just don't want to be the one that it 'happens' to. A good gauge is...if you question it yourself, then likely it's questionable.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
also, does the $2 fee for debit card funding for online only or also at wally world?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by kdinino
also, does the $2 fee for debit card funding for online only or also at wally world?
Online only.

As for your other question, it would be $1103 charge, $1003 to BB and $100 cash back. If they let you do it - WM may not let you get cash back when loading BB. I have no personal experience with this.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Originally Posted by frozyn
Online only.

As for your other question, it would be $1103 charge, $1003 to BB and $100 cash back. If they let you do it - WM may not let you get cash back when loading BB. I have no personal experience with this.

TY. from what i know about ST anything posted as cash back doesnt earn miles although to your point this would process as a $1100 charge...worth a try...anyone else try getting cash back in person?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by philemer
OK, I'm lost. What is "ST"?
Thanks for asking. I googled Delta ST mastercard and came up with nuthin'. Tried Delta mastercard and still nuthin'. Not about to ask. Afraid of getting accused of wanting to be spoonfed.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Thanks for asking. I googled Delta ST mastercard and came up with nuthin'. Tried Delta mastercard and still nuthin'. Not about to ask. Afraid of getting accused of wanting to be spoonfed.
But, did you search FT? Have you read the last 50 posts in this thread? The answer was just posted <12 hrs ago here by lwildernorva. /spoon
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:00 pm
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
cash back

OK so I load $1001.30 (I have my reasons) in Wally Word via my ST card and then ask for them give me $100 cash back? Not following..wouldnt transaction be for $901.30 and thus 901 ish Skypesos? I guess I need to know the process, the BB website is unclear and what you can do at wally world.
I've not loaded BB at WalMart, but I've purchased a few money orders. Each time, I've requested $100 (maximum, at least in my experience) cash back.

If my money order was for $850, my transaction would go through SunTrust as $950.70 ($850 MO, .70 MO fee, $100 cash) and I'd get points on all.

Anita
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:21 pm

Have read this thread 5X over . . .
I give you a lot of credit kdinino for reading this 5X. Ever since the BB came out I'm so far behind in Fall garden cleanup there's no way I'll read it more than the once (well okay I've gone over some spots multiple times ).

Don't know if the following will help anyone down the road or not. I'm tired of always asking and not contributing anything so here's what happened with me and BB today.

Since I still don't know if my window guy is part of AP I decided to just send him a check through BB. Logged into my account and tried the bill pay. There was a spot to enter the payee but nothing to click "continue" or "submit". Ended up calling BB. Ugh! Because of high success, blah blah, my hold time would be over 10 minutes. Finally spoke to rep. Manila I think. Very nice. Not very helpful. I was on Safari. I also have Firefox. She suggested I download and install Google Chrome which I did. It still didn't work. She had also gotten and IT person to assist. They both ended up saying to contact my ISP because there was probably a block for info coming from the BB site. Total waste of time 1/2 - 1 hour.

Instead I went to my fav Apple store. Showed the guy the problem I was having. Logged in, showed him pay bill but no submit, etc. He said to just hit the return key. There was a pop-up message to only have alphanumeric info in payee box so I omitted the . after Inc and then tried return key again. Moved right to the next step. Finished transaction and the check is in the mail

Don't know if the above details will be helpful to anyone or if they've been covered before in this thread or somewhere else.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:30 pm

On another note. . .

I'm still confused with Amazon Payments and how they compare to PayPal and how both work with BB.

I've used PP for years but only cash transactions to transfer money. Mostly it's to receive money for timeshare rentals. I don't take cc for payments because of the fees attached to cc.

There was something in the many threads, either here or on blogs, about feeding an AP account with BB for another way to pay a bill to someone who wouldn't take credit card. So I took that to mean there wouldn't be a fee. But when I look at AP website all I see are fee transactions. Since the window washer is now paid (Whew, finally. . . I gave him extra for not giving me one bit of grief about hanging a curtain and his patience for payment), I don't really need AP anymore. But I'd like to understand the comparison to PayPal since I could use another form of payment.

Is there a comparison chart somewhere for PayPal and Amazon Payments? I haven't found one yet and I've been looking.

Is there anything with the new BB that would be beneficial regarding AP?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:45 pm

I give you a lot of credit kdinino for reading this 5X. Ever since the BB came out I'm so far behind in Fall garden cleanup there's no way I'll read it more than the once (well okay I've gone over some spots multiple times ).
Maybe it's just me, but I thought that the 5x part was hilarious. Especially if you read the thread 5x while at OD.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
So in effect with the double purchase, OD to CVS it comes to $79 in purchase fees for 25k+ miles with ink. Not free but somewhat reasonable on expensive tix.
How did you come up with $79?

It is only $4.95 per card so how $79?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by misterno
How did you come up with $79?

It is only $4.95 per card so how $79?
You forgot the $3.95 for the VR at CVS because BB only take this, not the prepaid GC bought at OD at $4.95.

Actually it is $89.

1) 4.95 to get the Prepaid at OD
2) 3.95 to get the VR with the GC if possible.

So now for every $500 the cost is 8.90.

500 x 5 x 10 = 25000

10 such process you have 10 x $8.90 = $89.

That is before your time and your gas.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by TTnC4me
But, did you search FT? Have you read the last 50 posts in this thread? The answer was just posted <12 hrs ago here by lwildernorva. /spoon
AHAHAHAA!!

gardengirl, you've been on FT since 2001, and specifically said you didn't want to be accused of being spoonfed, and....

you got accused of being spoonfed anyway!!

I'm sorry - and I'm hoping the ribbing was being given and being taken all in the spirit of good fun - but this just cracked me up.

Last edited by thegasguru; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:57 pm
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
You forgot the $3.95 for the VR at CVS because BB only take this, not the prepaid GC bought at OD at $4.95.

Actually it is $89.

1) 4.95 to get the Prepaid at OD
2) 3.95 to get the VR with the GC if possible.

So now for every $500 the cost is 8.90.

500 x 5 x 10 = 25000

10 such process you have 10 x $8.90 = $89.

That is before your time and your gas.
I agree that these costs must be taken into account, but this is America, and it now appears that CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aids appear on almost every corner. I pass three CVS stores on my way home from work. Maybe other folks don't. But, I hope people are keeping their eyes open in their general travels so that they can see what opportunities are available.

Of course, I also (vainly) hope that folks don't just pick off all the VR (bean, ice cream, and any other code words that might apply to make me seem like a cool guy) cards without paying for them. Because that would be shoplifting.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Velocity checks failed

whoops, tried to load to much this month

Last edited by msp2anywhere; Nov 18, 2012 at 12:04 am Reason: finally did the math, discovered that code means

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.