Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by QL_714
Why would you give out such reckless info? Why not do it yourself instead of having everyone do your dirty work for you? This is one of the surest ways to get your account shut down. IMHO you would be an idiot to follow this advice!!!
I thought I was very clear that this was risky, but just in case I was unclear, I've edited the original to add more of a caution to the post. Why not do it myself? Because it is higher risk than I'm willing to take. The good news is that we learned from the very next post that it has been tried and does not work so there's no reason for anyone else to risk it.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by WOXOF
...Why not add this to your 'lab experiments'? Isn't that the purpose? ...
This fits the category of experiments I do (or consider doing), but don't feel are a good idea to publish. Honestly, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it here either.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:04 pm

Just came back from Walmart and checked out the BB display again. It says on the packs that there is a $2 charge to use atm to load money onto the card and $1 if you use cash. Not sure if it was mentioned here, but probably won't have much of an effect for the ice cream users.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Stop hassling FM. The guy's almost singlehandedly responsible for blessing all of us with insights into how to get better at the game. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Just came back from Walmart and checked out the BB display again. It says on the packs that there is a $2 charge to use atm to load money onto the card and $1 if you use cash. Not sure if it was mentioned here, but probably won't have much of an effect for the ice cream users.

https://bluebird.com/faqs/?linknav=u...ees-and-limits

Cash through Walmart $1(fee no longer applies)
(has a strikethrough on the price - don't know the BB code for that)

You probably saw the old fees from before the change.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, SPG
This is just MHO, but everyone needs to take a step back and wait for the registered bluebird card then go ahead and try things that may make sense to you in your pursuit of miles & points but in moderation.

This card, like all the other pseudo bank debit cards, are in the business of making as much money as they can from the people that can least afford the fees. .They want to see dozens of small monthly transactions: gas, cigs, fast food, pizza, convince stores, etc with the expected large monthly or semi monthly trip to the supermarket. .Then they expect weekly ATM transactions but for $20 not $500. .Finally they are targeting people with no credit cards and expect the DD's to be pay checks, disability checks, etc. .occasional loads from a 'money pack' will not raise flags. .Some people like to cash their paychecks, the card owner could get a reload card as a gift from a family member.

These are predatory institutions and significant, regular deviations from programmed expected activity will get you shut down.

I agree, BB may be somewhat more tolerant because of AMEX targeted demographic up to this point but let's not forget who their partner is in this case. .Walmart is not Saks

This card has a lot of possibilities to accumulate a reasonable number of miles over an extended period of time for very little cost but ' go big, go fast ' and you will get shut down. If you want to spend 10-20x more than the average user you will have to mix your loading and spending to mimic a more well heeled Walmart customer, but fit a Walmart customer profile none the less.

AMEX is smart here. .They understand most of their revenue comes from transaction fees so they are making it cheap enough on the consumer side to get people to at least give the card a try and Walmart customers is a huge market for them to play in.

One final point and that is what makes this card different from the others. .We have a retailer and a financial institution in partnership. .You can get shut down by Walmart as well just buy purchasing large MO's made out to yourself or cash. .There are two huge organizations watching this closely. .We all know the years long rumor that walmart wants to add full banking services. .Is this the beginning?

/ end of rant
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
...and what if he is taking food off your table?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:04 pm

...and what if he is taking food off your table?
If it is so easy to take food off your table, perhaps you need to find a different way to get food there in the first place.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern

https://bluebird.com/faqs/?linknav=u...ees-and-limits

(has a strikethrough on the price - don't know the BB code for that)

You probably saw the old fees from before the change.
Must have. It was on the temp card package/box.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by leftpinky
If it is so easy to take food off your table, perhaps you need to find a different way to get food there in the first place.
How about better locks on the doors?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:03 pm

How about better locks on the doors?
Ha, ok, I'll give you that one. But as soon as FMiler posts and it comes over to this site and then Dan's deals, etc....the locks are busted...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
This is just MHO, but everyone needs to take a step back and wait for the registered bluebird card then go ahead and try things that may make sense to you in your pursuit of miles & points but in moderation.

This card, like all the other pseudo bank debit cards, are in the business of making as much money as they can from the people that can least afford the fees. .They want to see dozens of small monthly transactions: gas, cigs, fast food, pizza, convince stores, etc with the expected large monthly or semi monthly trip to the supermarket. .Then they expect weekly ATM transactions but for $20 not $500. .Finally they are targeting people with no credit cards and expect the DD's to be pay checks, disability checks, etc. .occasional loads from a 'money pack' will not raise flags. .Some people like to cash their paychecks, the card owner could get a reload card as a gift from a family member.

These are predatory institutions and significant, regular deviations from programmed expected activity will get you shut down.

I agree, BB may be somewhat more tolerant because of AMEX targeted demographic up to this point but let's not forget who their partner is in this case. .Walmart is not Saks

This card has a lot of possibilities to accumulate a reasonable number of miles over an extended period of time for very little cost but ' go big, go fast ' and you will get shut down. If you want to spend 10-20x more than the average user you will have to mix your loading and spending to mimic a more well heeled Walmart customer, but fit a Walmart customer profile none the less.

AMEX is smart here. .They understand most of their revenue comes from transaction fees so they are making it cheap enough on the consumer side to get people to at least give the card a try and Walmart customers is a huge market for them to play in.

One final point and that is what makes this card different from the others. .We have a retailer and a financial institution in partnership. .You can get shut down by Walmart as well just buy purchasing large MO's made out to yourself or cash. .There are two huge organizations watching this closely. .We all know the years long rumor that walmart wants to add full banking services. .Is this the beginning?

/ end of rant
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Someone who gets it...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:55 pm

One important thing I think a lot of people also miss, is AMEX has always struggled to get both small business and more importantly, small purchase chain retailers to accept their cards. Acceptance is great at where there traditional credit demographic shops, but acceptance is poor at other places (Cigarette store, Burger King, etc.... you get the point).

The amount of customer which fit this demographic and now have an American Express card may hard-handily force some of these businesses to change their card acceptance behavior. It's no longer merely enough to say I know you have a debit card in that wallet next to your Platinum card... because they probably don't, and will shop elsewhere.

This alone, is a powerful business driver to in some ways, subsidize this product. Don't get me wrong, they still expect it to make money and hold its own weight, but they have other vested interests in it receiving more than the netspend card who's sole objective is monthly and transaction fees.

In any case, I tossed $200/month off my paycheck (Direct deposit) there way. I might as well keep them happy, and perhaps an account with DD activity is more likely to survive.

/ end of rant
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Stop hassling FM. The guy's almost singlehandedly responsible for blessing all of us with insights into how to get better at the game. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
+1. It seems we like to bash bloggers here on FT, but FM is (IMO) a true innovator in the points game. And I think his post was clear.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
+1. It seems we like to bash bloggers here on FT, but FM is (IMO) a true innovator in the points game. And I think his post was clear.
What good does it do to post something that will get accounts closed? What the post should have made clear is that your account will be closed if you try this. Bloggers are great for the 47%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.