FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

amolkold Jan 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 20072340)
I'm considering using this card. Got it a few months ago just as OD stopped carrying VRs, so only loaded once and forgot about it. But now have ample supply at local CVS and Luckys, so worth putting back in my bag methinks.

$4.95 monthly fee:td:. $1K max daily load/$2500 max on card. 1 free ATM ($400 ATM limit) then $2 per ATM plus whatever the ATM owner charges.

There is no $4.95 monthly fee on the blue Amex Prepaids.

You cannot do MOs or CB since it cannot do pin-purchases. It is basically a credit card with ATM ability.

farwest101 Jan 18, 2013 12:47 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20072754)
There is no $4.95 monthly fee on the blue Amex Prepaids.

You cannot do MOs or CB since it cannot do pin-purchases. It is basically a credit card with ATM ability.

Thanks for clarifying no monthly fee (found out I had a recurring small monthly charge from MyFico.com I had cancelled)

Thanks for the MO/CB info. Sounds very similar the AEFT card, but different load capability with VR/GD vs CC/GC

amolkold Jan 18, 2013 1:20 am

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 20072912)
I had $4.95 fees charged to my card each of the last two months. Maybe they are inactivity fees since I wasn't using it until recently?

Thanks for the MO/CB info. Sounds very similar the AEFT card, but different load capability with VR/GD.

Are you sure that you have the American Express Prepaid?

farwest101 Jan 18, 2013 9:57 am

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20072980)
Are you sure that you have the American Express Prepaid?

Definitely.

Agree, no monthly fee (edited my first post above). I mistook a recurring charge for some sort of fee by Amex. I hadn't set up my online account and was just using the last 5 transactions from their phone support w/o knowing who the charge was from. When got online access, saw it wasn't a fee from Amex.

IAkH Jan 18, 2013 2:22 pm

New data point: Target I've been going to for months now block (non-Target) giftcard reloads at the POS end.

AnitaBryant63 Jan 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by IAkH (Post 20077350)
New data point: Target I've been going to for months now block (non-Target) giftcard reloads at the POS end.

I've also encountered this.

jk2 Jan 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63 (Post 20077396)
I've also encountered this.

Did you mean that register now blocks usage of Visa/AMEX/MC GCs for loading Target Amex?

Pbai Jan 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by IAkH (Post 20077350)

The same happened to me yesterday. I was trying to load 20 mastercard gift card, but the cashier didn't allow me. All she said is you can't load a gift card with gift cards. She wouldn't concede, even after 10 minutes explaining to her that AMEX target was not a "gift card" cause it had my name on the front of the card. She told me that another cashier was just scolded for doing this one day before.

Then, I said to her, "nevermind, I will use my credit card to load this time", and I tried to slide a $500 value gift card first;-). Darn, she insisted to see my id first and to match it with my "credit card". So I gave up, and used a true credit card instead.

I've also never had any issue before when loading AMEX target with Visa/Mastercard gift cards in the same store. So, I guess it will become harder and harder to load with Visa/Mastercard/Amex gift cards.

IAkH Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by jk2 (Post 20077492)
Did you mean that register now blocks usage of Visa/AMEX/MC GCs for loading Target Amex?

Corrrect. Not that I wasn't allowed by the cashier, but that when I swiped my Visa GC into the register, it wasn't accepted.

Richklhs Jan 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by IAkH (Post 20078018)
Corrrect. Not that I wasn't allowed by the cashier, but that when I swiped my Visa GC into the register, it wasn't accepted.

oh boy, I sure hope this isn't the case.... if so I'm up s*** creek without a paddle

nep301 Jan 18, 2013 5:00 pm

I just unloaded 20 MC gift cards at my local Target. All went through without a problem. Checked my amex balance and it shows $1000 was added.

thisisyourlife Jan 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Target refused to load card

Stopped by local Target and customer service desk. They refused to load the Target Amex card, would not even attempt a scan to see if computer would take it, and said they stopped reloading the card in November of last year.

k2o Jan 18, 2013 5:55 pm

I get that story every time I reload. I tell them (very kindly) that's its not a gift card and ask them to just try it. Then-low and behold- it works! And yes, I use vanilla gc's to pay. They usually seem delighted that they me happy and even when they call a 'manager' the manager walks away saying they learned something.

jk2 Jan 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by IAkH (Post 20078018)

My guess is that something is wrong with your Visa GC. Otherwise, there is no difference between Visa GC and regular CC. Did you try credit card?

thisisyourlife Jan 18, 2013 6:03 pm

I called the number on the back of the card to ask why my local Target refused to load my Target Amex card. I got India. She put me on hold. I hung up.