FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx for Target: $400/week credit card ATM withdrawals for 1.3%+ in certain cities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1242493-amex-target-400-week-credit-card-atm-withdrawals-1-3-certain-cities.html)

MaineCoon Jun 6, 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by nowstime (Post 22990908)
Can you buy vs/mc gift cards with these AFT cards? Thinking it might be cheaper than withdraw charge and ATM fees.

yes, you can.

but then you have to find a way to liquidate those vs/mc cards.

for you it might be cheaper.

for me, no.

nowstime Jun 6, 2014 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon (Post 22990985)
yes, you can.

but then you have to find a way to liquidate those vs/mc cards.

for you it might be cheaper.

for me, no.

Thanks...I'm a bit cautions with AMEX doing MS so wondering if this is the case with AFT? Is it more liberal than traditional AMEX cards? I'm assuming it is since it's a reload-able card not a true credit card.

MaineCoon Jun 6, 2014 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by nowstime (Post 22991173)
Thanks...I'm a bit cautions with AMEX doing MS so wondering if this is the case with AFT? Is it more liberal than traditional AMEX cards? I'm assuming it is since it's a reload-able card not a true credit card.

I wouldn't know, I just got mine.

But in theory with the clear rules defined by the issuer there should not be too many problems.

nandemo1 Jun 6, 2014 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by elfrozo (Post 22988754)
I'm having a lot of trouble setting up the account online. Every browser I use crashes into a "webpage not loadable".

It let me create a user name and password but after I enter details for the card and hit next for step two it crashes. No browser seems to work regardless of cookie deletion.

Any advice for getting this setup online?

You may be having at least one of the same problems I did: A) you need to use a different username than your Amex CCs, and B) the security code is the 3 digit one off the back (never knew why Amex still had these), not the Amex 4 digit one from the front.

lmagnott Jun 6, 2014 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by gvol21 (Post 22987535)
Been to two Target stores just outside of Boston and both said that not only did they not have the Amex for Target cards, but hadn't had them in quite some time. Rather desperate to find one that does, as WM is a relatively inconvenient ride away via public transport...

Watertown has them. You can take the #70 bus.

MikeOWave Jun 6, 2014 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by nandemo1 (Post 22991485)
You may be having at least one of the same problems I did: A) you need to use a different username than your Amex CCs, and B) the security code is the 3 digit one off the back (never knew why Amex still had these), not the Amex 4 digit one from the front.

I'm pretty sure mine used the 4 digit security code from the front of the card when i set it up a few days ago (not the three digit one on the back).

MaineCoon Jun 7, 2014 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by mdjd (Post 22995198)
No luck in the East Bay either, yet. I can confirm that the following 3 locations (also listed as participating on target.com) *do not* carry them - just so you don't waste time visiting them like I did yesterday:

2800 Dublin Blvd
Dublin, CA 94568

7200 Amador Plaza Rd
Dublin, CA 94568

2610 Bishop Dr
San Ramon, CA 94583

If I find a store nearby today or tomorrow that sells them I will update.

Originally Posted by adlibitum (Post 22990212)
Thanks, anyone know in north bay?

Go to the store in the Serramonte shopping center, they have quite a few.

MaineCoon Jun 7, 2014 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by mdjd (Post 22995492)
I have no idea what Serramonte is like, but I did finally find one tonight in ........ville, San Jose (it was a longass drive and maybe overkill - anywhere, San Jose probably is?).

They're not kidding around when they market this product for the low end - neon Scion emblem seemed to be the talk-of-the-parking lot this evening.

Daly City https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...da49a75365e7c7

Originally Posted by mdjd (Post 22995498)
Sorry, didn't know some words are off limits. "but I did finally find one tonight in [redacted], San Jose."

You have to behave yourself here :D that's where the /put what you want here/ stops.

Not that I disagree on the definition of the great city of San Jose :D

TravelingRabbit Jun 8, 2014 10:46 pm

Picked one up in LA. Must be 6 checkouts with them.

Excited to keep on MSing.

When setting up the account today, it was the 4 digit code off the front.

smoothmunkey Jun 9, 2014 8:39 am

Does anyone know of a surcharge-free ATM in Brooklyn or Manhattan, aside from the previously mentioned one in the 50s? Looking for something more commute friendly...

Fuerza Jun 9, 2014 12:54 pm

I currently have one AFT card. I'll be adding a 2nd. What is the best way to max out the $5k cycle? I can load the card I currently have with $1k. Then buy my second adding $500 correct? Or will that mess up the cycle? Should buy a new tempt card with $500 and load the card I currently have with $500?

Tuppins Jun 9, 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by mdjd (Post 23004239)
Great question! If only there was a wiki that explained in detail the optimal load pattern...

Seriously. This thread has one of the best, most complete wikis...
And still we get these questions.

There is no hope.

Fuerza Jun 9, 2014 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by mdjd (Post 23004239)
Great question! If only there was a wiki that explained in detail the optimal load pattern...

hashtagfacepalm

Fuerza Jun 9, 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 23004685)
Seriously. This thread has one of the best, most complete wikis...
And still we get these questions.

There is no hope.

Are you serious? I would have to start card one at day 32 or just eat the $3 and start at the beginning. I have one card already and I'm adding another. Card 1 is a zero balance. I was asking if someone had done this after the fact.

Tuppins Jun 9, 2014 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Fuerza (Post 23004733)
Are you serious? I would have to start card one at day 32 or just eat the $3 and start at the beginning. I have one card already and I'm adding another. Card 1 is a zero balance. I was asking if someone had done this after the fact.

So you're saying you've had your first card for a while now?
Your question wasn't very specific.
You can load the cards in any pattern you want, bearing in mind that it's very convenient if you can load in 3 trips - 2k, 2k, 1k.
So, without knowing days/dates of the cards, I'd say just make sure that loads for both cards drop off on the same days.