Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

What to do at KUL? Lounge access as a Oneworld Emerald?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do at KUL? Lounge access as a Oneworld Emerald?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm running late. I gotta head back to the HGI to grab my suitcase before going to KUL. I might not have quality time at the airport after all. I'll definitely try to grab a bite. If I can't shower on this trip, I'll try it next time.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just want to apologize to all the FTers who have advised me in this thread. I literally barely made it to the airport before the cut-off time. KUL was surprisingly busy. I found out that a K-pop star was landing at KUL and lots of locals are eager to see him. I spent way too much time at Berjaya Times Square. It also didn't help me that the KLIA Express runs only twice per hour. I also missed that train and had to take KLIA Transit. Surprisingly, I had to put my bag through security twice! Once just after immigration and another time at the gate. Makes no sense. I'm not aware of any other airport doing this. Not even SIN does this. I just made it to the MH lounge, but dining closes at 23:00! The rep at the counter advised me I really only had a few minutes and should head to the gate. I just went to the washroom and that was it. Off I went to C34 to board MH88. I miscalculated that it would take this long to get to KUL even though it's not my first time here. What a waste and I'm an OWE. I should have been able to enjoy the lounge. It was within my control and I blew it. I guess next time I gotta better manage my time. Whenever is the next time I get back to KUL, I'll make visiting this lounge a priority since I have never been here before. I'll just load up on the food at the JL First Class Lounge at NRT.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by lsquare
ISurprisingly, I had to put my bag through security twice! Once just after immigration and another time at the gate. Makes no sense. I'm not aware of any other airport doing this.
The first one is a customs check rather than security. Not that it's any less pointless...
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
The first one is a customs check rather than security. Not that it's any less pointless...
It’s called “providing gainful employment”.

Just as during COVID, SIN did away with the Certis Cisco staff who stood at the door just to check that you have a boarding pass before entering the passport scanning / immigration area - but reintroduced it as soon as travel picked up again.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How is that not security? I still have to put my bag through the X-Ray machine. The good news is that I don't have to take my shoes off. However, the security check at the gate required me to take off my shoes.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
It’s called “providing gainful employment”.

Just as during COVID, SIN did away with the Certis Cisco staff who stood at the door just to check that you have a boarding pass before entering the passport scanning / immigration area - but reintroduced it as soon as travel picked up again.
​​​​​​​What the heck? I don't remember seeing these people and I was in SIN as recent as the first week of December.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by lsquare
How is that not security? I still have to put my bag through the X-Ray machine. The good news is that I don't have to take my shoes off. However, the security check at the gate required me to take off my shoes.
Take it from the people who've been through KUL once or twice through the decades The customs agents don't give two hoots about your oversized moisturizer for example, but you won't get away with that at the security checkpoint.

Not that it matters, because 9.5/10 times nobody's looking at the screen during the customs scan...
kt74, chris63, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Take it from the people who've been through KUL once or twice through the decades The customs agents don't give two hoots about your oversized moisturizer for example, but you won't get away with that at the security checkpoint.

Not that it matters, because 9.5/10 times nobody's looking at the screen during the customs scan...
😂😆🤣

For real? You think I could have passed the first security check with a knife inside my bag?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 2:24 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Have found all MH lounges at KUL pretty underwhelming. I actually prefer the Regional Business Class Lounge best - it has has every amenity within easy reach & is close to the gates I use. I avoid the F/Platinum lounge (as an Emerald) at all costs - it's laughably dull, has poor/non-existing service, dreadful food & a very average drinks selection. It's just not worth it for me. YMMV.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Have found all MH lounges at KUL pretty underwhelming. I actually prefer the Regional Business Class Lounge best - it has has every amenity within easy reach & is close to the gates I use. I avoid the F/Platinum lounge (as an Emerald) at all costs - it's laughably dull, has poor/non-existing service, dreadful food & a very average drinks selection. It's just not worth it for me. YMMV.
Y​​​​​​ou're saying I'm not missing much? I was better off at Times Square?
NoY likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
I avoid the F/Platinum lounge (as an Emerald) at all costs - it's laughably dull, has poor/non-existing service, dreadful food & a very average drinks selection.
Nonetheless, a calming (calmer?) oasis amidst the otherwise bustle of the airport and relative to the J lounges.
NoY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.