Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First and last name switched on ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Its not a 'last name first". It is called a surname ! And its not only MH, but other airlines do the same when asking for surname first. Because that's how the airline reservations are set up... surname / name name
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Two years ago I booked a reservation on MH with my first and last names switched. I didn't even realize until after I checked in for my flight at the airport. Turned out not to be a problem at all.

I did have trouble adding my JL FF number to the reservation, but I didn't realize it was from the name switch. I just thought that the JL and MH IT systems weren't working well together. In the end I had to submit a request to JL for mileage credit after the flight, but it was quick and painless.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I had the same recently with CX where I put my own name correctly and then for reasons unknown to myself ended up mixing my partner's first and last name up (same booking)..
I did not realise until a couple of days later (and by total coincidence), but all was resolved with a call to CX explaining the issue, and all they needed was a scanned proof of the actual name to verify. I would expect MH to be equally flexible.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I had the same recently with CX where I put my own name correctly and then for reasons unknown to myself ended up mixing my partner's first and last name up (same booking)..
I did not realise until a couple of days later (and by total coincidence), but all was resolved with a call to CX explaining the issue, and all they needed was a scanned proof of the actual name to verify. I would expect MH to be equally flexible.
theyre not, see post 12 😉
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nancypants
theyre not, see post 12 😉
Turns out I am getting blind at this late stage in the week - TGIF!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Just wanted to report back on it went in case anyone else ends up in a similar situation.

My wife and I were on separate bookings as she was in J and me in Y as I already had enough Tier Points. So we checked in separately as I thought it would be interesting to see what happens if one of us tries to fly with the name changed and one doesn't.

Me - went to check-in desk and handed my passport over and didn't mention anything about the names. Initially the agent couldn't find my booking but after checking what time flight I was on and asking if I was a BA FF (not sure why?) she found it. Agent didn't say anything about the names being reversed, printed my boarding pass with the names still reversed and that was it. The boarding pass had my BA FF on it but it didn't say what status I was underneath. I didn't have any issues at immigration leaving KUL or at CGK. Even with the names reversed the Avios and Tier Points posted to my BA FF account fine 3 days after the flight.

Wife - went to the check-in desk and explained the situation with the names and that the Twitter team had said they would be able to correct. Agent said it isn't possible for her to amend the name but that it didn't matter if it was reversed it would be fine to travel. Wife explained that she wants to make sure she gets the Tier Points so would prefer to get it changed. Agent seemed a bit confused but said the ticket desk may be able to help. Ticket desk seemed a bit confused also but eventually got it. They wanted to see her BA FF card before doing it but after a lot of tapping on the computer he said it was all sorted. No request for money to change it. The boarding pass showed the names in the correct order and also her Oneworld status unlike on mine. Her Avios and Tier Points posted to her BA FF account 3 days after the flight like mine.

So all in all was a resounding success! Now she is back to Oneworld Sapphire ^. Was a bit surprised my Avios & TP's posted as I was expecting to have to claim for them (was only 5 TP's anyway).

Thanks again for everyone's help.
crackjack, nancypants and cowie like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:48 am

Removed - wrong thread

Last edited by Whitstabubble; Jan 14, 2020 at 11:54 am
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I did not realise until a couple of days later (and by total coincidence), but all was resolved with a call to CX explaining the issue, and all they needed was a scanned proof of the actual name to verify...
As an additional data point, I stupidly did the same mistake today while booking with CX. Indeed the process is simple - I corresponded via chat and was asked to call the hotline, then requested to email a scanned copy of my passport (although my passport made no specific categorization of first name versus last name - so unsure why they were so adamant that it was necessary). Within minutes it was done, and a new confirmation emailed to me. ^

Appreciate from earlier posts that MH isn't so flexible, but they really have no excuse not to be.
SKT-DK and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:57 am

On a (slightly) related note if it's useful to anyone - I checked with their social media team before booking a ticket if they would be able to do a surname change on a ticket when supported by an official documentation to prove that it is still the same person travelling. I was told a name correction fee of MYR 150 would apply as this would involve them changing more than 3 characters.

I would imagine they're not the only inflexible airline out there - but it did catch me by surprise given that most airlines here in the UK (and anecdotally, Air Asia) allows this free of charge.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Very few airlines will allow a free name change or correction. That is at least their official policy. In reality you may be able to have misspelling or switched surname /first name rectified without charge, but as already confirmed in this thread and other similar threads in other forums it is really not needed - you will be allowed to fly anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:48 pm

The CX person I spoke with in my most recent incident said that I will have problems when checking in at the airport and I will have problems crediting to my FFP when they are switched.

Not sure if these are simply official party lines that require the first name and surname to be switched back ... or a genuine problem.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by cowie
There's the "proper" way to fix this, and the "YMMV" way to fix this.
Anecdotal evidence here and elsewhere on the Internet shows that it won't be an issue, but again, with the YMMV caveat. You probably won't be able to check in online.
Why would that be the case? For online check-in you just input the passport number, expiration date and select the seats. As i know you are not requested to upload a copy of the passport, so the check in app would compare the name in the passport with the name on the reservation to see if there is an irregularity.
So you assume that there would be problems with online check-in based on what?

You can do OLCI regradless of what names you have on passport/reservation. OF course when you show up at the gate and the names won;t match, you wouldn;t board the plane.
But...in the rush at the gate before boarding, i don't think anybody would take into account the order between the name and surname on the boarding pass vs passport, because, as i know, the boarding pass states only the full name, and does not make distinction, which is First and Which is Last and over the years i had the names on BP printed in both orders and nobody said anything...

So, if you have name inversion on the booking and the airline lets you on line check in and even gives you the electronic boarding pass, then you're good to go and chances of problems would be zero. Because the only real issue could be at the check-in desk where the agent would see that the name is inverted and in theory could deny you the check-in if they wanted.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by antobogdan
Why would that be the case? For online check-in you just input the passport number, expiration date and select the seats. As i know you are not requested to upload a copy of the passport, so the check in app would compare the name in the passport with the name on the reservation to see if there is an irregularity.
Its considered poor form to reply to a nearly 4 year old post for no apparent reason. MHs OLCI system then was different from today, so trying to challenge an old post on this is really questionable.

Just so you know, it CAN be an issue with some airlines OLCI when you try to modify the given and last name fields, like CX when you try to add a middle name.

Nobody heres really disputing ones ability to fly with a transposed first/last name. OLCI and FFP earnings on the other hand, might prove problematic.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 2:03 pm

But why would you try to modify the name at check-in ? And is that even possible(at any airline), regardless of the real name inversion or not? If they would let you, you could simply give the ticket to other person, modify the name at check in and they would fly instead. Or is something i'm not understanding.

I have a similar problem of switched names (other airline) and i'm just trying to understand why i might have problems at check-in (would prefer to do OLCI to avoid a possible "confrontation" with the check-in desk agent that could , in the worst case scenario, deny my check-in and boarding for the inversion. From what i read, it is a very low likelihood but still possible).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.