Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Now the quoted source of this theory says he said no such thing..nice..
https://twitter.com/DzirhanDefence
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by AZbba
The pilots didn't realize they had a pressurization problem, hypoxia sets in.
Do commercial aircraft have oxygen sensors that would alert the pilots if O2 levels become dangerously low? Certainly they have pressure sensors.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 11, 2014 at 7:37 am Reason: Removed off-topic passport discussion

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Is there any info how much fuel was in the plane and what would be the distance it could cover the the amount of that fuel?
jxd

Originally Posted by bugsy
This kind of report just highlights why I stopped watching ACA long before I left Australia.

While it may be a security issue in the post 9/11 world, having passengers (who have no ill intentions towards the plane), in the cockpit does not automatically endanger the flight, even during take-off & landing.

I'm old enough to remember a time when visiting the cockpit was something most kids on a flight did, I know I did it on every flight I took...and it wasn't just kids, one of the last times I did it, I was sitting near a woman who was on her first flight, and so I made a request, and we both went up to the flight deck.

A quote from the video:

While the behavior of the crew described is not professional, it has little baring on the current situation, especially as the Captain on MH370 is different to the one on the flight described, and it is the captain not the copilot who would have made the decision to allow the girls to enter & remain in the cockpit.
It says a lot about the attitude of the pilot, and also, I don't think smoking is allowed in the cockpit, no?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Is there any info how much fuel was in the plane and what would be the distance it could cover the the amount of that fuel?
Believe it was something like 7.5 hours of fuel. So what is that? 3,500 miles depending on speed?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ashkale
Now the quoted source of this theory says he said no such thing..nice..
https://twitter.com/DzirhanDefence
Malaysian military official denies he talked to Reuters about the aircraft turning west?

Meanwhile I've found this on the internet... not sure if properly calculated.

Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, LH Senator, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
If the plane overflew land, then there would be time for people to make cellular calls. Unless they were all incapacitated due to hypoxia or were simply not aware of an emergency.
Not possible unless the plane was clipping treetops. Cellular tower antennas are tuned and oriented for radios (phones) on the ground. There aren't antennas on the towers that point up at the sky.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Not sure they are a legal requirement worldwide, but they are pretty much the norm everywhere i have flown... Of course there is always the odd case where, although present, the door remains open during the whole flight, as was the case during one of my trips with Royal Air Maroc, which happened to be to JFK and a Delta codeshare. I did report the incident to the TSA at the time and received a courteous reply announcing action on the subject.
Not sure it is so odd with foreign airlines. I had a similar occurrence on Air France. The pilots family or relatives must have been on board and the cockpit door was open most of the flight with the kids running in and out. Needless to say it made me most uncomfortable.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Not sure if already posted, but.....

"A 'bright light descending at high speed', ........

..........says he saw the light heading towards the South China Sea at 1.45am on Saturday, some four minutes after the last radar contact with the aircraft.......

.......The light he witnessed was several miles north of the flight path the jet ought to have been on.

........'However, the light I saw was moving towards a completely different direction. It was going towards the sea, near Bachok (which lies to the south of Mr Alif's home).'
Not to argue facts or to brush Mr Alif aside, the apparent direction of lights was what gave long credence to TW800 being hit by a missile. Such reports must be handled with caution and can range from illusions to military or private flights, helicopters etc.... "Fireball" would be a different story.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Answering a previous question, I see that MH370/371 will be changed to MH318/319 starting on 3/14/14
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by stinky123
If it really is the case that the plane was last sighted on radar in the straits of malacca maybe they should just call off the sar mission and wait until someone sees something worthy of investigating. Because now the plane could be anywhere. Before the twentieth century it was common for ships to go down with all hands, and never be recovered. Maybe we should be taking a more 19h century attitude on this one.
You are right, but you should not forget that China is putting Malaysia under a huge load of pressure to find the aircraft. They have to be seen to be looking everywhere ASAP.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by david4455
Not sure it is so odd with foreign airlines. I had a similar occurrence on Air France. The pilots family or relatives must have been on board and the cockpit door was open most of the flight with the kids running in and out. Needless to say it made me most uncomfortable.
I had a similar experience on KLM, upper deck on a 747 some years ago. The wife/ gf of one of the crew made several trips to the cockpit. They had their meal together. I was in the first row and it was nice to have the view of the open sky occasionally.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: FB Gold
see also: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rash-live.html

09.30 Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, Malaysian civil aviation chief, said earlier that the widened search includes northern parts of the Malacca Strait, on the opposite side of the Malay Peninsula and far west of the plane's last known location. Mr Azharuddin would not explain why crews were searching there, saying rather cryptically, "There are some things that I can tell you and some things that I can't."
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Unless the search area has widened to Bangladesh and India, I think you mean South East Asian geography?
Clearly more education is called for in certain cases. Mine for example

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 11, 2014 at 7:38 am Reason: Removed hijacking speculation per wiki
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Latest update from Aviation Herald

Updated Tuesday, Mar 11th 2014 14:18Z

On Mar 11th 2014 the airline reported that the aircraft had accumulated 53,465 flight hours in 7,525 flight cycles since its delivery to Malaysia Airlines in 2002. The aircraft has last undergone maintenance on Feb 23rd 2014. All Malaysia Airlines aircraft are equipped with ACARS transmitting monitoring data automatically. However, no distress call and no information was relayed. The search area has been extended and includes the Strait of Malacca west of Malaysia looking at the possibility that the aircraft may have turned back and diverted to Subang (Malaysia).
[On Mar 10th 2014 Hong Kong's Civil Aviation Department confirmed a Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur spotted large amount of debris while enroute off the coast of South East Vietnam.]

Vietnam's Search and Rescue Center later announced that the border guard vessel arriving at the position of the debris field did not find any objects. There were high winds and large waves, the debris possibly drifted away.
On Mar 11th 2014 Malaysia's Air Force reported their primary radar data suggest, the aircraft may have turned west over the Gulf of Thailand at about 1000 meters/3000 feet below the original flight level (editorial note: another possible interpretation could be: at 1000 meters of height compared to 10000 meters original level) and flown past the east coast near Khota Baru and the west coast of Malaysia near Kedah, the radar return was last seen at 02:40L near Pulau Perak in the Straits of Malacca, about 285nm westsouthwest of the last known (secondary) radar position. Local Police at Khota Bharu confirmed a number of locals reported lights and a low flying aircraft at Khota Bharu at an estimated height of 1000 meters/3000 feet.
In the evening of Mar 11th 2014 Vietnam's Search and Rescue Center reported they were expanding their search areas both to the east and west including the South China Sea and Gulf of Thailand. Two Chinese search planes in addition to the Vietnamese ships and aircraft have been operating over Vietnamese waters, so far there has not been any finding. The oil slicks and debris found in the Gulf of Thailand south of Tho Chau Island proved unrelated to MH-370, the field of debris of Mar 10th was determined false alert too.
On Mar 11th 2014 Malay investigators reported a 19 year old Iranian was travelling on one of the false passports to join his family waiting for him in Germany. They were contacted by his mother admitting she knew her son was using a false passport. In the evening Malay investigators summarized that there is no evidence suggesting there is a link between the disappearance of the aircraft and the use of false passports. Investigation continues however, the background of all passengers is being investigated, for example whether there are high life insurances.
Map (Graphics: AVH/Google Earth):

http://avherald.com/img/malaysia_b77...140308_map.jpg

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 11, 2014 at 8:47 am Reason: updated 11.03.14 14:18 UTC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.