Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (8 - 14 March UTC) of older posts from the original thread, MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: now Search and Recovery [PLEASE SEE WIKI].

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN LOCKED.
Print Wikipost

MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by halls120
The lack of a large debris field argues against a breakup of the aircraft at altitude.
The same way Amelia Earhart's plane vanished. The ocean is big and deep.
No.

If the aircraft was intact until hitting the ocean, then debris will be in a relatively small area.

If the aircraft broke up at high altitude then pieces could be scattered over a view wide area (several square miles) and therefore be very difficult to spot.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:11 am

An Austrian and an Italian originally reported on the flight are alive and had their passports stolen in Thailand 1-2 years ago, implying others with their stolen identification had been on MH370. Both their tickets were booked one day before the flight as China Southern Airlines codeshares through a travel agent in Pattaya, with sequential ticket numbers. One was for KUL-PEK-AMS-FRA, the other for KUL-PEK-AMS-CPH. Five other passengers had their bags pulled from the flight when they did not appear for boarding. There was also a Chinese passenger that was on the manifest but has been reported alive in China. In this particular case, his passport was in his possesion and wasn't stolen or lost. His name and passport number does match what's in the flight manifest.
I would like to correct this information but cannot edit wikipost.
In fact, the person holding the authentic passport is named YU JIAN BAO. but the one recorded with MH is ZHAO QI WEI.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lain
I would like to correct this information but cannot edit wikipost.
In fact, the person holding the authentic passport is named YU JIAN BAO. but the one recorded with MH is ZHAO QI WEI.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, lain

If you'll please provide a link to a source report, we can see whether there is a discrepancy in our info, and make corrections if necessary. Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Welcome to FlyerTalk, lain

If you'll please provide a link to a source report, we can see whether there is a discrepancy in our info, and make corrections if necessary. Thanks!
Sure there are source links regarding this from two rather credible HK media:

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/articl...nes-flight-has

http://news.ifeng.com/world/special/...582709_0.shtml
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:25 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by boltjames
Clive Williams, a counter-terrorism expert at Australia's Macquarie University and a former military intelligence officer, said he doubted the two stolen passports aboard the flight were related to the disaster. The latest Interpol data showed there were 39 million lost or stolen passports reported as of Dec. 2013.

"Any flight of that size in Asia would be carrying a couple of people with false passports," he said. "When you think about the number of passports that have been stolen or gone missing around the world ... it could be related, but it's probably not."

BJ
I'm surprised as well to see you manage to get onboard with a stolen passport. If it's true that there are cases on every flight maybe it's time to do something about this...
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by starlanet
Hi and welcome!

I was perplexed in 2009, when AF 447 disappeared mid-air . . .

. . . It amazes me the similarities, even though it could have been slightly different the result is the same I guess: fatal crash. . . .
I'll concede that yes but the difference that looms large in my mind is that happened in conditions heavy weather and the crew simply flew into the ocean (albeit in a stalled, high angle of attack configuration) due to icing of a pitot tube which is a far less likely occurrence on a 777. AFIK the conditions in play this time around were close to ideal flying weather.

The other difference is that the ACARS transmitted several alert messages (25 IIRC) in the last few minutes of Flight AF 447. I am assuming the 777 was ACARS equipped yet no mention of untoward messages being received has been made.

As I said earlier however the lack of debris is consistent with a high angle high speed impact of an intact aircraft, I just can not see how that would have occurred in this instance. Mind you I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. All we are really doing here is marking time until we know what actually happened.

FWIW one of my friends is an AF pilot (now retired) and knew the guys up front in that crash. He pretty much got the cause right before the wreckage was even found. He's scratching his head on this one bar telling me the PIC was of a very high calibre and well known in the industry.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Himeno
Why can't they refuel in Malaysia if there is a closer base there?
Good questions, wish I could answer that in place of what the VN Colonel gave or told the news reporter at a briefing as reported in their newspaper.

The underlying issue, I'm wondering, is the unified command and true extent of SAR coordination & cooperation, at least between Vietnam & Malaysia.

Originally Posted by JDiver
I know weather is a problem today, but... the aircraft they used to identify the "debris of interest" is a De Havilland / Viking Twin Otter 400
VN newspaper in fact had the Twin Otter 400's picture shown, and it is equipped with floats for water landing & takeoff - and even if low on fuel, it CAN refuel if support vessel is in the area to do it. Ditto for the chopters, also equipped with floats. Not exactly impressed with their efforts although they looked & sound to be 100% committed to finding the downed 777 - but, they are doing it so full credit for trying.

Perhaps media sources reading FT's can pose the questions at the next press briefing to the military generals or colonels if the bird's status remained missing ...

The blogs relayed by CN's Sina/Weibo indicated that the Chinese ships continued to operate & search overnight, and the guide missile destroyer on scene now (or soon) has night vision & powerful searchlights, and is self-sustaining with support functions of their own, including fueling.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:39 am

BBC interview with US Navy 7th Naval Fleet SAR who is being send to Straits of Malacca. They are equipped with radar that can image debris the size of a basketball, and has full night functional capacity.

He commented there was a well organized search by Malaysian officials with in excess of 40 ships in the area searching.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:44 am
mjm
Original Member

So if we assume the flight path had them heading towards VN somewhere between the Gulf of Thailand and the South China Sea, and that a subsequent turn were commenced, and that is the reason for the look in the Malacca Strait, is not logical to be having a pretty careful look at the chunk of Malaysia it would have overflown to get that far west? Could the plane be on solid ground for example?

All of this assumes no ability for any radar to see it, no beacons telling where it is, and Malaysia not having detected it over ground. But still, if the Malacca Strait is a logical search place for whatever reason surely the part of Malaysia north of Penang and the bit of Thailand from Ko Samui down to Malaysia ids fair game as well?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by mjm
So if we assume the flight path had them heading towards VN somewhere between the Gulf of Thailand and the South China Sea, and that a subsequent turn were commenced, and that is the reason for the look in the Malacca Strait, is not logical to be having a pretty careful look at the chunk of Malaysia it would have overflown to get that far west? Could the plane be on solid ground for example?
If this did happen I'd say there's a better chance it overflew Thai airspace. And that area of Thailand (Narathiwat, Yala, and Pattani) is not the most pleasant.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:00 am

VN newspaper in fact had the Twin Otter 400's picture shown, and it is equipped with floats for water landing & takeoff - and even if low on fuel, it CAN refuel if support vessel is in the area to do it.
It can but not in 1.5 metre seas. Amphibian aircraft are very fragile, after all it's a plane not a boat. Even a flying boat such as a Catalina would have trouble dealing with waves that size. Swell is one thing but waves are another matter entirely. The maximum allowable wave height for a Twin Otter is 40cm, a lot less than the conditions out there today.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:00 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks to the senior mods and everyone contributing to the wiki for their housekeeping. A sterling job so far.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: SQ, GA, AA
Malaysian Interior Minister just confirmed that the actual passengers using the stolen passports on the MH flight have "Asian features."

http://www.firstpost.com/world/live-...s-1424627.html

Passengers on missing jet with stolen passports had ‘Asian features’
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No.

If the aircraft was intact until hitting the ocean, then debris will be in a relatively small area.

If the aircraft broke up at high altitude then pieces could be scattered over a view wide area (several square miles) and therefore be very difficult to spot.
+1

or hundreds of square miles
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by blueonions
why do the relatives need to be brought from Beijing to Kuala Lumpur?

wouldn't it make more sense to fly them to wherever the plane's wreckage will be brought ashore?
I was thinking the same thing. Also, why would a relative want to get on a plane when their loved ones are missing because of an airplane disaster?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.