Wiki Posts
Search

FS Maui vs Fairmont Maui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Marriott Silver
FS Maui vs Fairmont Maui

Heading to Maui in October for a honeymoon. Any perspectives on the two options - either FS Maui or Fairmont Maui? My preference is to be in Wailea so that's why I've taken the Ritz out of consideration.

Thanks.

CB
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:44 am

You can't go wrong with the FS Maui. Stayed there for my honeymoon 13 years ago, and have been back 9 times since.

The level of service at the FS far exceeds that of the Fairmont.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:09 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
We just got back from our first trip to the FS Maui. During our stay, we walked to the Fairmont to check it out. The Fairmont looked nice, but, based on what we saw, it did not hold a candle to the FS. We absolutely loved every aspect of the FS and can't wait to return.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
In a site inspection, I felt that the rooms at the Fairmont Maui needed refurbishing - and the grounds did not have the lush, manicured appearance that resorts typically have.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fairmont kea lani has villas/etc with private pools.

in this forum, FS hualalai is one of the best regarded resorts outside of asia. little beach and apparently VOG issues though.

FS maui has a club level with very few rooms/suites.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:18 pm

Stayed at the four seasons maui couple months back. Overall it was a nice stay.
The food overall was pretty good w/ extremely tasty mojitos.
Also the service was absolutely excellent!
The rooms I thought were not so great and the beds were terrible (back pain bad).
Also small things in the room were broken.
Also going down early to reserve a cabana is kind of a drag.
Also there's a bit too much of an la scene there for me. Eddie murphy, tori spelling,
And their entourages were there. It was a bit too much of a scene for me.
However I would still recommend. The staff is absolutlely great -- everyone concierge,
Pool staff, housekeeping, valet, babysitter, etc. 2 lessons at the pool and taught my 3 year old to swim.
probably best service I've experienced.

Did not stay at fairmont, hovever had dinner at nick's. That dinner was pretty bad.
The main bldg does not look great but the villas look nice. Pool looks fun too.

You'll have fun wherever you stay. The ppl of maui are great
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
fairmont kea lani has villas/etc with private pools.

in this forum, FS hualalai is one of the best regarded resorts outside of asia. little beach and apparently VOG issues though.

FS maui has a club level with very few rooms/suites.
Speaking of which.
I got an email from the four seasons Hualalai,the other day saying the construction there has ended.
Thats where I'd choose if I was going to Hawaii again-An absolutely super resort! Very well looked after and very good service.
I should put some sort of censor for it on my pc as anytime I see reference to it I want to go back.I will pG.

In relation to the question...In my experience,fairmonts don't cut it when compared to good four seasons properties.
In fact theres no comparison.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:52 am

I don't understand why most people rave about FS Maui. It is completely overrated. You could be anywhere in the world. The property has too many rooms, the pools are small and crowded ( the new serenity pool will help, I suppose). I am a huge FS fan but this particular property was such a disappointment.
For a honeymoon in Hawaii I would go to FS Hualalai which is in another league.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Revolution
I don't understand why most people rave about FS Maui. It is completely overrated. You could be anywhere in the world. The property has too many rooms, the pools are small and crowded ( the new serenity pool will help, I suppose). I am a huge FS fan but this particular property was such a disappointment.
Overall I agree with your statement. I would personally would look elsewhere (geographically).
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:57 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I think the FS Maui's Serenity pool must be relieving the pool congestion, because we didn't find the pools to be crowded when we were there last week.

It was true, though, that between the hours of approx. 9 AM and 1 PM, cabanas were not always available. I usually went down to reserve a cabana at around 8 AM and consistently found that many were still available (though usually not the ocean-facing ones or the ones by the kids' pool).

I haven't been to the FS Hualalai, so I have no basis for comparison there. But I thoroughly enjoyed the FS Maui.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:12 pm

We stayed at the Kea Lani for our honeymoon. We have also been to the Grand Wailea and Four Seasons Maui since our visit to the Kea Lani. All are great, but I would recommend FS Maui, especially for a honeymoon.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:33 am

We stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua first for our honeymoon and it was atrocious. We checked out early and went to the Fairmont- we got the Friends and Family rate that was all over the internet.. for what we paid ($250) you couldn't go wrong, but the rooms definitely did need updating. That said, I really liked the adult pool area - very calm - and I thought the service was fabulous. If you can get a cheap rate like that, the Fairmont might be worth it.. otherwise I have heard the Four Seasons is great.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:46 am
gns

Programs: Dividend Miles
I was at the Four Seasons Maui in february and it was phenomenal! The service was incredible, the views were gorgeous, the variety of classes were great.

We walked by the Fairmont - maybe better for families, but The Four Seasons was probably one of my best hotel experiences!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:04 am

While I really like the layout of the FS Hualalai, I have found the service at the FS Maui to be leaps and bounds ahead of the service at Hualalai. We love to spend our days relaxing by the pool and the service at Hualalai was awful on our last trip. I do plan to stay there for a few days during our upcoming Hawaii trip, so I hope the service has improved.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:11 am

I completely agree in every way with Revolution about FS Maui but then most of Hawaii underwhelms me - too big, too brash. Hualalai is a better option but my other favourite is FS The Lodge at Koele which has some character.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.