Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FS Maui vs Fairmont Maui

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Revolution
I don't understand why most people rave about FS Maui. It is completely overrated. You could be anywhere in the world. The property has too many rooms, the pools are small and crowded ( the new serenity pool will help, I suppose). I am a huge FS fan but this particular property was such a disappointment.
For a honeymoon in Hawaii I would go to FS Hualalai which is in another league.
Taking your point even further....planning a Hawaii trip usually breaks down for me when I get to the bang for the buck ratio. Why spend what I would spend in Hawaii for a 650sqft hotel suite sort of near a beach when I could go to SE Asia and get a FS villa for similar money? For many western hemisphere folks, I suppose it's the comfort of being in the States or having a shorter flight; but neither of those pluses matter much to me. To each his/her own.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Taking your point even further....planning a Hawaii trip usually breaks down for me when I get to the bang for the buck ratio. Why spend what I would spend in Hawaii for a 650sqft hotel suite sort of near a beach when I could go to SE Asia and get a FS villa for similar money? For many western hemisphere folks, I suppose it's the comfort of being in the States or having a shorter flight; but neither of those pluses matter much to me. To each his/her own.
We travelled from Europe which made things worse. 16 hours on a plane and Wailea felt like a cross between Palm Beach and Orange County.
We checked the Grand Wailea next door and the Fairmont and thought they were even worse and decided to stay at the FS. We made the most of our rental car as we hated the pool so much.

Our next stop was Kauai and Starwood's Princeville Hotel which looked like Versailles on the Pacific. Absolutely dreadful property with inedible food in its restaurants. Out of desperation we tried to move to the slightly less depressing Grand Hyatt Kauai but they were fully booked. Let's hope that the Princeville renovation will shake things up but I'm doubtful.

Our last 4 nights were spent at the FS Hualalai which compared to the last 2 hotels was positively delightful.

Like you say SE Asia offers much more value for money. To me Hawaii only makes sense if you live in on the West coast which is a real shame since the islands offer stunning scenery and almost perfect weather.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 5:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by DrivingRain
I absolutely agree. I made a similar point here a couple years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7475783-post34.html
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA- 1P
Originally Posted by Revolution
To me Hawaii only makes sense if you live in on the West coast which is a real shame since the islands offer stunning scenery and almost perfect weather.
I enjoyed the FS service very much there but the island is so beautiful with so much to do, staying at the pool all day in any hotel there would be a real shame. That's what florida is for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.