Wiki Posts
Search

Egypt Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:23 pm
formerly lelandv
Original Poster

Egypt Trip

Never been the the middle east and want to plan an egypt trip..see the pyramids/alexandria/luxor etc etc

Couple of things

Which FS property is best to stay at in Cairo?
Do both do an equally good job planning excusions?
Is there a better place to stay?

Can you do all the sights based out of Cairo?
Asking for obvious reasons, is there any shopping in Cairo?? What do you buy?

We are thinking of heading over to Sharm for a couple of days on the beach...thoughts on where to stay?

Is it worth trying to do a Nile Cruise? If so which one?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lelandv

We are thinking of heading over to Sharm for a couple of days on the beach...thoughts on where to stay?

Is it worth trying to do a Nile Cruise? If so which one?
FS. check out private condo/villa rentals there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...oi-philae.html (zahra recommended)

edit >
more info on zahra
http://magazine.elitetraveler.com/el...4/?pg=113&pm=1
http://magazine.elitetraveler.com/el...02/?pg=81&pm=1

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 27, 2009 at 6:26 pm
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
How long are you going to be there? It took me three trips to see almost all I wanted to see. I suppose if flights worked, you might be able to do Luxor as a day trip, but I can't imagine that flights would work out. I'd spend at least two days there (one for the Valley of the Kings, one for Luxor itself). Abu Simbel is worth it. I'd like to have stayed longer than we did (day trip out of Asswan, I think). Alexandria is interesting. We did it once as a day trip from Cairo and once by taking the train and staying a couple of day.

I'm a little iffy on the Nile cruise. We did one from Asswan to Luxor. Many of the sites were Greek or Roman, again as I recall.

There is plenty to keep you busy in Cairo.

I rarely buy things so I'm not much help there, though lots of people seem to like to bring back camel saddles.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Oh, I'm a diver and not a beach person, but I really like Sharm. The diving is terrific. There were lots of folks sitting on the beach working on their melanomas.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:03 pm
formerly lelandv
Original Poster

So we have about 2 weeks...give or take.
We don't like to take a lot of time in any one place in terms of sightseeing...aka we see. we look. we leave. We did Bangkok in one day and while i could have stayed one more it was not a requirment.

Any thoughts on the two FS in Cario?
How long do you go see the pyramids---is luxor and alexandria worth it? Any great hotels out there?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:22 am

Luxor is a must. No great hotels unfortunately. Think big chains: Hilton ,Sheraton, Sofitel,etc... An unusual option just outside of Luxor on the West Bank is Hotel Al Moudira ( www.moudira.com)

The only option in Alexandria is the Four Seasons.

The only place to stay in Sharm El Sheikh is the Four Seasons. Avoid at all costs the Ritz Carlton which is atrocious. Stayed twice at the FS Sharm. Our 1st stay was perfect but the 2nd was a complete disaster.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:26 am

Four Seasons Nile Plaza is now the best in Cairo.

Four Seasons Alexandria is the ONLY option there, but Alexandria is not a great place to visit - very little to see. The hotel is the best thing about it.

Lots to do and see in Cairo - pyramids, Egyptian museum, Sakkhara, amazing mosques, oldest Jewish temple in the world etc etc.

try the Winter Palace in Luxor, but don't expect anything great - there are no good hotels in Luxor.

If you don't want to spend ages looking at sites, take the Oberoi Zahra along the Nile (5 days).

Agree that FS Sharm el Sheikh is by far the best option for beach. The other alternative is The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh, just up from Hurghada.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
FS NP is very nice place, a truly astonishing hotel given it is Cairo. Pool loses the sun in the afternoon and isn't huge but I couldn't fault it otherwise. Walkable to the Egyptian Museum and linked to a small mall.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:00 pm
In memoriam

Only went to Egypt once. Cairo for about 6 days (lots of jet lag). Then a cruise up the Nile (a cruise is really the only way to see a lot of things - you travel at night - sightsee at a different place every day). We did this trip 25 years ago - enjoyed it a lot - but don't know what cruises are available these days. FWIW - I am not a cruise person - but this is one place where a cruise makes the most sense IMO. And after almost 2 weeks in Egypt - we flew from Cairo to Tel Aviv and spent 10 days in Israel. Great trip. Robyn
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:06 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by lelandv
So we have about 2 weeks...give or take.
We don't like to take a lot of time in any one place in terms of sightseeing...aka we see. we look. we leave. We did Bangkok in one day and while i could have stayed one more it was not a requirment.

Any thoughts on the two FS in Cario?
How long do you go see the pyramids---is luxor and alexandria worth it? Any great hotels out there?

Thanks!
The Pyramids - maybe 2-3 hours. Unless you want to take a "beast" (camel/horse/etc.) for a ride in the desert at sunset - which I recommend (even though it sounds corny). Read Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad. I don't think your basic trip to Egypt has changed in over 100 years (although one may perhaps have to be somewhat more careful these days). Robyn
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
Read Mark Twain's Innocents Abroad. I don't think your basic trip to Egypt has changed in over 100 years (although one may perhaps have to be somewhat more careful these days). Robyn
I don't think your standard European cruise has changed much either!

"Innocents Abroad" is a true treasure. You've reminded me to give it another look. Thank you!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Claremont

"Innocents Abroad" is a true treasure. You've reminded me to give it another look. Thank you!

I think you will find the Oberoi Zahra significantly more luxurious than Nile cruises of old.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:55 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by paul2
I think you will find the Oberoi Zahra significantly more luxurious than Nile cruises of old.
That is definitely a nicer looking boat than the one we took for pretty much the same cruise up the Nile in 1981 (can't remember the name of our boat - but it was operated by Sheraton- think Sheraton hotels - and that's pretty much what our boat was like - functional - not luxurious). OTOH - I think the total price of our cruise for 2 people was in the $1000 range - and this is about 2500 euros/pp. I could afford this boat today - couldn't afford it back then. The thing I remember most about our cruise (apart from the sights) was that our guide was an architect from Cairo who was 100% fluent in English. There was a great deal of "underemployment" in Egypt then - and I suspect things are about the same now.

Anyway - I think it's a great cruise itinerary - and pretty much the only way to see these sights (so even if you're not really a cruise person - my husband and I aren't cruise people) - it's the only way to go. Robyn
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:59 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Claremont

Any world traveler should read it. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. Robyn
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
So, OP: how did the Egypt trip turn out? I am planning a trip in January. Definitely Cairo and Luxor, and maybe Abu Simbel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.