Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...evason-ma.html
Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If going just for a weekend to see the Cairo Museum and hang out in the city, is the FS First Residence the best choice of hotels?

I haven't been to Cairo since last century when I stayed at the Nile Hilton which was well located.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
If going just for a weekend to see the Cairo Museum and hang out in the city, is the FS First Residence the best choice of hotels?

I haven't been to Cairo since last century when I stayed at the Nile Hilton which was well located.
No, the best option in every way is FS Nile Plaza. You can walk to the Egyptian Museum from here and the hotel has the best Nile views, best service, best food, most comfortable rooms etc etc.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
Can someone comment on the new Fairmont Cairo and on the newly renovated Sofitel Gezirah Cairo?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
No, the best option in every way is FS Nile Plaza. You can walk to the Egyptian Museum from here and the hotel has the best Nile views, best service, best food, most comfortable rooms etc etc.
I'm on a Centurion FHR rate which includes free night, etc. I was surprised to get that rate since I thought it expires before my stay. I'll see if I can get it switched or not.

Last edited by stimpy; Nov 28, 2009 at 7:43 am
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TrophyCollector
Can someone comment on the new Fairmont Cairo ?
I'll actually be there for one night ,the week after next..if it's the one thats just a year and a bit old and near the airport that you are asking about? So I'll comment when we are back.

http://www.fairmont.com/towersheliopolis

We're using it as an airport hotel for the night but on return at the end of the week it will be a couple of nights at the four seasons nile plaza.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS nile plaza is closer to 3 museums
FS first residence is closer to museum of solar boat

egyptian museum 2 miles 10 min drive / 3 miles 15 min drive
coptic museum 3 miles 20 min drive / 6 miles 30 min drive
museum of islamic art 4.4 miles 30 min drive / 6 miles 30 min drive
museum of solar boat 19 miles 45 min drive / 16 miles 45 min drive

new fairmont = http://www.fairmont.com/nilecity
Originally Posted by Cascadia
I am looking forward to seeing the new Fairmont Nile City property. Word within Fairmont is that this proprty will be at a much higher level than traditionial Fairmonts. The only reason it will not be branded a Raffles is that it has too many rooms. The Gold Floor should be spectacular.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 28, 2009 at 7:54 am
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Ah ok...that looks a little more holiday than the heliopilis
We'll still report back though
Old Nov 28, 2009, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

report would be good, think this is only thing in lux hotels so far >
Originally Posted by Cascadia
The new Fairmont Towers is excellent and only 5 minutes from the airport.
sofitel >
Another interesting option in Cairo is the newly renovated Sofitel Gezirah, which has the best Nile views in Cairo, as it's on an island in the middle of the Nile. I would normally never stay in a Sofitel, but this one is surprisingly good, although service can be patchy, as Sofitel inherited many of the old Sheraton staff.

The suites here are superb and the food is very good, too, especially in the El Kebabgy restaurant, which serves the best Egyptian food in Cairo, and still has its own outdoor bread oven, so everything is incredibly fresh.

There is also a floating restaurant and bar called 'Le Deck', which is unique, and the very sexy Buddha Bar, which has Asian food and a real attitude.
Take The Gezirah Sofitel in Cairo. When they took this hotel over from Sheraton, they brought in Pierre Yves Rochon for the makeover. He did a very good job indeed. Unfortunately Sofitel inherited most of the Sheraton staff, so service is just as bad as it always was. Sofitel appear to be willing to spend money on refurbishments but not as much money as Four Seasons, and this shows. They have a Hyatt attitude to furniture - i.e. it looks impressive initially, but it soon gets scratched and tired.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:20 am

Can someone comment on the new Fairmont Cairo and on the newly renovated Sofitel Gezirah Cairo?
Trophy, see below - Kage just quoted my experiences at the Sofitel Gezirah.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the FS 1st Res wasn't really want I wanted, and it turned out I couldn't get the deal I wanted at the FS Nile, and there are no other FHR properties in Cairo, and I saw all this talk about the Sofitel Gezirah, and I have a Sofitel Platinum card, I decided to book a Club room at the Sofitel to see for myself what its like.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: mosttraveledpeople.com
If there is one country that is Sofitel territory, it is Egypt:

Sofitel The Cecil Alexandria (very Grande Dame, but maybe alternative to FS)

Sofitel Gezirah Cairo (potentially current nr. 1 in Cairo)

Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor (Grande Dame legend)

Sofitel Old Cataract Assuan (Sarkozy/Bruni just stayed there; currently closed for renovation)

Sofitel Hurghada and Sharm el Sheikh don't beat the local competition

I think I need to burn my Sofitel points in Egypt too, stimpy.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:45 am

Sofitel El Gezirah, Cairo

If there is one country that is Sofitel territory, it is Egypt:

Sofitel Gezirah Cairo (potentially current nr. 1 in Cairo)

I think I need to burn my Sofitel points in Egypt too, stimpy.
It IS a great location in one sense, as the views are striking, and how many hotels in Cairo let you dine ON the Nile (at Deck). BUT, the service aspect of this hotel tends to take the edge off things at times, purely because of the inherited Sheraton staff. AND you are in a place that is not easy to access (lots of security as you drive into the hotel grounds) as it is off the beaten track, so you cannot walk anywhere, unlike Nile Plaza.

Watch out for the bathrooms here, Stimpy. There was a lot of cost cutting in this area, so even the Royal Suite bathrooms are quite small and the finish is very poor (leaking glass shower stalls).

It is well worth booking one of the 50 suites. On-line, these can work out amazingly cheap. There are 35 Junior Suites which are really nice, and 10 Panoramic Suites which have more space and their own kitchens (more traditionally designed, too). Not too impressed with the rooms.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Nov 30, 2009 at 6:47 am Reason: addition
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to be an optimist and expect that things have improved at the Sofitel since you were there. Most hotels spruce things up for the high season. Plus I have a secret weapon for getting good service at Sofitels. In the hotel I speak only French and must be waited on by French speaking staff. This always results in great service IME.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm going to be an optimist and expect that things have improved at the Sofitel since you were there. Most hotels spruce things up for the high season. Plus I have a secret weapon for getting good service at Sofitels. In the hotel I speak only French and must be waited on by French speaking staff. This always results in great service IME.
I am half French - it made no difference, but it's worth a shot. The food, apart from the French restaurant, is pretty good. It is things like housekeeping that frustrate......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.