Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Egypt Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:34 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by LinLant
Is there a reason for poor service in Egypt? Sydkallon, your website is a pleasure to look at!
Thanks!

I guess it is a weird kind of service. Everyone is literally the nicest people you'll meet and they really seem to want to do everything for you. However, there's just so much disconnection and in practice, pure common sense is lacking along with any proactive anticipation of needs. If you bring food, bring cutlery. If you bring food, come back and get the plates. If you bring a drink, come back and check if need another. Simple things. I don't like moving much when relaxing by a pool, certainly not to get up multiple times asking for menus or to order or for someone to take my plates or for a drink.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:52 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It's the saying "Mashi" which, when combined with "Inshallah" means it will happen by the grace of God.

Egypt is not a society that runs on time or precision. There's no real sense of urgency.

IME the economic situation with tourism in massive decline means the excellent hospitality staff have gone to the Gulf to make better income.

The FS in Egypt are exceptional and have incredible staff. I have never had a poor service experience in over 15 years. Other properties like Hyatt and other chains are left with local staff who undergo basic training and do not understand the concept of anticipating one's needs. We have addressed this with GMs of the HR SSH and other properties and their response is "Unfortunately, this is the talent pool we have" which in my view isn't good enough.

Two examples:

1) I asked the Chief Concierge at the FS FR to locate some Gucci trainers for me. He had his college at the FS NP go the luxury department store downstairs and take photos and email me pricing. When they weren't the ones I wanted her ordered them online and had them delivered to my home before I returned.

2) At the HR SSH on two consecutive stays the hotel was undergoing major construction - bulldozers, demolitions and jackhammers. There was no notification and the manager of the Club Lounge told me "We currently have no construction on the property." I took video of it immediately outside my villa and emailed the GM, MENA Director and Hyatt Corporate Care. They were instructed to immediately stop construction for the duration of our stay. Promised a better future stay we returned 6 months later to have the exact issue.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by sydakllon
Cairo Sofitel food was good. Luxor was horrific. Aswan was okay. My main issue across all three was the service levels whenever there was F&B in the equation.
So it wasn't just us that thought the Sofitel Winter Palace was a dump then! I am amazed at the 5 star reviews on tripadvisor, people must be blind. Agree Aswan was okay but service was poor and they cannot make a bed properly. Both FS's were excellent but still not up to the standard on the Oberoi Philae service wise.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by m0hamed

The FS in Egypt are exceptional and have incredible staff. I have never had a poor service experience in over 15 years. Other properties like Hyatt and other chains are left with local staff who undergo basic training and do not understand the concept of anticipating one's needs. We have addressed this with GMs of the HR SSH and other properties and their response is "Unfortunately, this is the talent pool we have" which in my view isn't good enough.
Even though it is an older property I think the FS First Residence is a really special place. I like the pool area and the breakfast a lot, it is really elegant. The staff are lovely. I would really like to try the FS in Sharm as the pools and property look lovely even though it is a large resort but I have not made it there yet. I notice in your excellent reviews you have stayed at the Hyatt in Sharm vs the FS and wondered if you had any experiences with the FS there?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:24 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
Even though it is an older property I think the FS First Residence is a really special place. I like the pool area and the breakfast a lot, it is really elegant. The staff are lovely. I would really like to try the FS in Sharm as the pools and property look lovely even though it is a large resort but I have not made it there yet. I notice in your excellent reviews you have stayed at the Hyatt in Sharm vs the FS and wondered if you had any experiences with the FS there?
We chose the HR SSH over the FS because of my status and we have been going there for over a decade. They know to always block the same villas and the property has not only a Club Pool but also a Club beach with full F&B service. We also know the staff quite well.

On the last stay we moved to the FS. The ground are sunning but the furniture in the room is oriented towards the TV and wall rather than the view. The suites are setup in that manner which I find a huge design fail.

The FS is adding an extra 1,000 rooms to make it the largest FS resort in the World. I have no clue who the guests they are expecting are because I have never seen it more than 20% occupancy.
Fly_IAD likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:58 am

We chose the HR SSH over the FS because of my status and we have been going there for over a decade. They know to always block the same villas and the property has not only a Club Pool but also a Club beach with full F&B service. We also know the staff quite well.

On the last stay we moved to the FS. The ground are sunning but the furniture in the room is oriented towards the TV and wall rather than the view. The suites are setup in that manner which I find a huge design fail.

The FS is adding an extra 1,000 rooms to make it the largest FS resort in the World. I have no clue who the guests they are expecting are because I have never seen it more than 20% occupancy.
Since you are incredibly knowledgable about Egypt, would you rate the service at FS Sharm as en par with Alexandria for example? Are they capable of delivering service en par with other FS resorts or is the size taking its toll on the operation?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by scented
Since you are incredibly knowledgable about Egypt, would you rate the service at FS Sharm as en par with Alexandria for example? Are they capable of delivering service en par with other FS resorts or is the size taking its toll on the operation?
I would say they try as hard but are not as polished. That said, our needs at SSH are very different to San Stefano and FR. At SSH we only leave the resort for a private yacht charter.

At the other two properties we have the Concierges perform significant duties for us and they are always exceptional. We also have a long stay history at these two properties that we know most of the staff.
scented and Fly_IAD like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

That is wild! 1,000 keys!? I dont even know what to make of that. Its a shame but when is any place in Sharm (or even Cairo) at full occupancy outside of some special events? Where the FS Sharm management receptive to your feedback about the room furniture as it would seem like things like that could be adjusted during a stay? Why in the world orient things towards a TV with views like that... On a separate note, what was your impression of the pool(s) and beach area compared to the Hyatt you usually stayed at? How does the pool area compare to the lovely pool deck at FS First Residence?

I do think there is some design fail even with the FS First Residence, for example, I thought in both the rooms and suites I have stayed in there could be chairs and coffee table on the terraces and the premier rooms (or whatever they are called the level below suites) could also use with another chair or small couch as they seemed almost too empty if that makes sense - otherwise I adore this property.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
That is wild! 1,000 keys!? I dont even know what to make of that. Its a shame but when is any place in Sharm (or even Cairo) at full occupancy outside of some special events? Where the FS Sharm management receptive to your feedback about the room furniture as it would seem like things like that could be adjusted during a stay? Why in the world orient things towards a TV with views like that... On a separate note, what was your impression of the pool(s) and beach area compared to the Hyatt you usually stayed at? How does the pool area compare to the lovely pool deck at FS First Residence?

I do think there is some design fail even with the FS First Residence, for example, I thought in both the rooms and suites I have stayed in there could be chairs and coffee table on the terraces and the premier rooms (or whatever they are called the level below suites) could also use with another chair or small couch as they seemed almost too empty if that makes sense - otherwise I adore this property.
The HR SSH has the most wonderful house reef. There are two jetties and the Club beach is full of sea life. It is known that this hotel is next for snorkelling or diving.

The FS beach is very small with a jetty but the reef is lacking.

The pool is fine, but I rarely use a pool at a beach destination.

My final draw was the Australian GM of the GH telling my after several broken promises “I have no excuses.” It’s just not good enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.