Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton New Orleans - Club Level??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Ritz Carlton New Orleans - Club Level??

I am usually satisfied with a standard Ritz room and service but, through my firm, have the opportunity of upgrading to Club Level nee Maison Orleans for $60 per night during an extended stay in February.

Since I will be responsible for personally paying for the upgrade, I am soliciting opinions on whether the upgrade is "worth it" from a room and service standpoint, post-Katrina renovation. Travel guides and tripadvisor appear to be worthless on the subject, and that is where you knowledgeable FTers come in.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts and opinions.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Absotively posolutely go for the upgrade. This is not even a close question. Unlike many RC properties, where the club rooms are identical to the regular rooms but come with club access, the club level at the RC NOLA really is like a completely different hotel. The rooms are much nicer, and the service much better. (My views are based on at least six stays at the property in 2007.)

NB: it's still New Orleans, and service levels generally are not what you find in much of the rest of the U.S. So while the service on the club level is superior to the service in the main hotel, you still should expect some service glitches. That said, the club staff is excellent and will work very hard to ensure that you enjoy your stay.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 5:18 pm
In memoriam

I agree with Blumie. The upgrade for $60 out of pocket is worth it. I wouldn't stay at the hotel again (did before Katrina - and I thought both the renovation of the building and the hotel service were substandard for a luxury hotel). Robyn
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by robyng
The upgrade for $60 out of pocket is worth it. I wouldn't stay at the hotel again (did before Katrina - and I thought both the renovation of the building and the hotel service were substandard for a luxury hotel).
The "regular" part of the hotel may not be up to normal Ritz or FS standard, but it's still better than most of the competition in New Orleans. Compared to the Windsor Court, for example, often thought of as the top luxury property in New Orleans, while the Windsor Court's physical property is much nicer than the Ritz, and the service much better, I find the rooms at the Ritz to be more comfortable. That said, I don't think there's anything disappointing about the club floor or the club rooms at the Ritz.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
A week's perspective

Originally Posted by Blumie
The "regular" part of the hotel may not be up to normal Ritz or FS standard, but it's still better than most of the competition in New Orleans. Compared to the Windsor Court, for example, often thought of as the top luxury property in New Orleans, while the Windsor Court's physical property is much nicer than the Ritz, and the service much better, I find the rooms at the Ritz to be more comfortable. That said, I don't think there's anything disappointing about the club floor or the club rooms at the Ritz.
I'll disagree on the rooms, having just spent five nights and having two colleagues in two other club rooms. In all three rooms, the furniture was such that you couldn't watch tv from anywhere other on your bed and we all thought the chair uncomfortable, all three rooms had weak HVAC systems (kept my drapes closed the whole time to keep out the sun--woke up most nights in a sweat), and all three rooms had deplorable water pressure in the shower. I certainly wouldn't return there unless business took me to NOLA (agreeing with the earlier post it's the best the city has to offer--but that's relative to NOLA).

Daily issues with housekeeping were very frustrating--including upon check-in the bellman had to remove a huge bag of trash in my room. There were no bathrobes or tissues upon arrival, and I had to walk my dirty laundry down to the front desk after leaving a note two days in a row asking for laundry slip and bag. Spoke to the Asst GM on the second day and things got better (and I got a nice note and fruit plate) but certainly not up to RC or lux standards.

That said, the lounge facility was quite nice, broken into four small but connecting rooms so there were never so many people in one room that it got too loud. I applaud their insistence on dress code (witnessed guests being asked to leave!) and no cell phones. And the staff on the club level is very attentive, although some on the young and inexperienced side but a solid senior staff in the afternoons and evenings. See Russell if you need anything.

As someone else already stated, NOLA isn't the place to go if you have the highest standards (two colleagues were women and on two occasions a staffer asked me before them what they'd like to drink) and expect any kind of speed in service but if you're going, I'm confident this is the place to stay and I wouldn't hesitate to pay up for the Maison Orleans.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by robyng
I agree with Blumie. The upgrade for $60 out of pocket is worth it. I wouldn't stay at the hotel again (did before Katrina - and I thought both the renovation of the building and the hotel service were substandard for a luxury hotel). Robyn
Another vote for upgrading. $60 is a bargain. I thought the typical charge for club access was closer to $100. Definitely worth all of the benefits for $60 a night.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Good Advice

By the way, folks, very good advice on the upgrade. I personally loved the room -- not typical in any sense of the word -- and certainly enjoyed the lounge and concierge.

As for the level of service in the hotel generally, I was actually quite pleased. It appeared as if the management knew that the frontline staff was new and inexperienced and went the extra mile if any issue was brought to their attention.

I was quite impressed with hotel's physical plant and appearance, both in the club and "regular" section.

Thanks, again, for the advice.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:12 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Found an old thread to revive!

I'm considering a weekend celebration for my wife's birthday at the RC NOLA. I am currently booked into the regular executive suite and struggling to justify to myself that an additional $350 per night upcharge would be worth it for the Club lounge executive suite room.

Can it possibly be worthwhile to upgrade?

I have yet to reach out to the hotel to understand their COVID protocols, but I would imagine since we're far from back to normal that lounge reductions would probably further decrease any club lounge upgrade advantages. Thoughts?

CLG
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:22 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by CLG
Found an old thread to revive!

I'm considering a weekend celebration for my wife's birthday at the RC NOLA. I am currently booked into the regular executive suite and struggling to justify to myself that an additional $350 per night upcharge would be worth it for the Club lounge executive suite room.

Can it possibly be worthwhile to upgrade?

I have yet to reach out to the hotel to understand their COVID protocols, but I would imagine since we're far from back to normal that lounge reductions would probably further decrease any club lounge upgrade advantages. Thoughts?

CLG
As the last post in this thread was more than 12 years ago, I see little value in continuing. I suggested that the OP start a new thread on this topic as I am going to close the current one
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.