best hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pickles
Still is, methinks.
It would be very cheap when I visit HK, but my wife doesn`t like it.....
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Still is, methinks.
+1.
No doubts.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by offerendum
It would be very cheap when I visit HK, but my wife doesn`t like it.....
Originally Posted by seat 1a
+1.
No doubts.
+2
For sure .

But offerendum , you are already skipping Amano'i because of your wife !
Now to miss out on MOHK ?

Harbour view room or suite should please her
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Yes, but she will have Harbor view I booked a Harbor View Suite at the Four Seasons. At MO it would be a Oriental Suite without view. So I can live with the HK choice To be honest I think, FS is the better choice.

@ Amanoi: Yes, I´m still sad. But considering value etc. I can live with Six Senses. Also as beach is most important and I heared some compiants about Amanoi-beach it´s OK

Last edited by offerendum; Dec 9, 2014 at 7:58 am
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:48 am

MOHK might just upgrade your suite to one with ocean view , better views than from FS . You are an " MO fan " , right ?? But FS is ok too , closer to Star Ferry .
You will have seen on other posts the restaurants you shouldn't miss either .

You ' ll just have to visit Amano'i sooner than later , the beach is alright but sand is not as fine as Pulo or Puri for comparison . They may have other beaches open by the time you decide to visit
Depending on the ' exclusive ' you book , quite remarkable value , & GM Sean F will also try to do wonders
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Any recent experiences w/ the Upper House?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
MOHK might just upgrade your suite to one with ocean view , better views than from FS . You are an " MO fan " , right ?? But FS is ok too , closer to Star Ferry .
You will have seen on other posts the restaurants you shouldn't miss either .

You ' ll just have to visit Amano'i sooner than later , the beach is alright but sand is not as fine as Pulo or Puri for comparison . They may have other beaches open by the time you decide to visit
Depending on the ' exclusive ' you book , quite remarkable value , & GM Sean F will also try to do wonders
I´m not really a MO-fan, I normally choose the hotel I like most. I think HK is hard to decide, from pictures MOis indeed my least favourite. I thought about FS, Peninsula, RC and MO. MO-booking would have been via a 3rd party, so normally no upgrade. Also my wife didn`t like MO I decided to stay at FS. She would have preferred RC but I don`t like the location and suites are small.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:58 pm

Definitely not RC so glad you are choosing FS . The MOHK web photos aren ' t that great , seems not doing it any justice , best when seen in person .

MOHK web offers are often better than 3rd party bookings

FWIW , The Upper House is , I ' ve been told , more Aman like but urban .
Not sure how much time you have , you can explore it ( along with MOHK ) .
I will when I next visit .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Dec 9, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reason: Add info
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I'll have to read this extensively as I'm heading in HK late March. So far, Ibis seems to be a viable option.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
I´m not really a MO-fan, I normally choose the hotel I like most. I think HK is hard to decide, from pictures MOis indeed my least favourite. I thought about FS, Peninsula, RC and MO. MO-booking would have been via a 3rd party, so normally no upgrade. Also my wife didn`t like MO I decided to stay at FS. She would have preferred RC but I don`t like the location and suites are small.
I'm just back from 7 nights in Hong Kong, my first time: 4 at the Peninsula, 3 at the Four Seasons, both in suites with harbour views. I will try to post full reviews shortly, but to be quick for now:

Four Seasons Hong Kong was the best urban hotel I have ever stayed in, delivering world-class experiences on every front: service, spa, food, room, etc. I was entirely blown away.

Peninsula Hong Kong was at least one step below, sometimes several steps (food).

Will want to try MO and LMO next time, but I was really stunned by FS, and again, without hyperbole, it is the best urban hotel stay I have ever had.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Any recent experiences w/ the Upper House?
We loved the Upper House--we were there for 2 nights in Jan at conclusion of 2 weeks in Burma (The Strand Yangon Presidential Suite and Aureum Palace Bagan Island Villa) and Cambodia (Amansara pool suite). We had an Upper Suite, which is worth every penny. We felt the UH was akin to an urban Aman--very boutique in feel, very luxurious with contemporary design, and with incredibly personal service and nice food/bar. The bar views are incredible. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

We also had dinners at Lung King Heen at the FS and Amber at the Landmark MO, as well as lunch at the IC, and checked out all of those properties as well as the Pen and RC. (Amber was incredible, btw.)

If you're going to be in Central, the UH or FS seem to be the best bets IMO. The 2 MOs are nice enough but neither wowed us. The FS has incredible views, but it still felt a bit too much like a conference hotel--it's a pretty big hotel, and it definitely felt big to us. We were even more impressed with the UH after seeing those. But the FS is right next to where the Star Ferry departs to Kowloon (maybe a 10 min drive from the UH), so that was convenient.

In Kowloon, the Pen was lovely...but still felt big and more formal, but the suites had some very nice views. Very business-like feel for us, so we weren't as fond of it (and we love Pens and had perhaps the best experience at the Pen Shanghai). The RC had the best views of all, but it was a bit removed from the action in Kowloon, and just like in Shanghai the design was a bit feminine to us, and the suites oddly shaped. The IC is dated, but its lobby restaurant was fab--we had an incredibly good lunch. The suites are dated, but their views onto Central were fantastic. For the price, if I had to stay in Kowloon, I might save money and get a suite at the IC for those views--especially knowing the food was so good. But still didn't measure up to the UH (which was more expensive).

Coincidentally, the Upper House in HKG and Pen Shanghai were the closest to perfect for us--perhaps of any city hotels we've stayed at anywhere in the world. The Halkin in London is one of our faves (especially their Belgravia or Presidential Suites), but the UH in HKG and Pen Shanghai were even better.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upper House looks nice but it`s out because the lack of a pool.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We loved the Upper House--we were there for 2 nights in Jan at conclusion of 2 weeks in Burma (The Strand Yangon Presidential Suite and Aureum Palace Bagan Island Villa) and Cambodia (Amansara pool suite). We had an Upper Suite, which is worth every penny. We felt the UH was akin to an urban Aman--very boutique in feel, very luxurious with contemporary design, and with incredibly personal service and nice food/bar. The bar views are incredible. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

We also had dinners at Lung King Heen at the FS and Amber at the Landmark MO, as well as lunch at the IC, and checked out all of those properties as well as the Pen and RC. (Amber was incredible, btw.)

If you're going to be in Central, the UH or FS seem to be the best bets IMO. The 2 MOs are nice enough but neither wowed us. The FS has incredible views, but it still felt a bit too much like a conference hotel--it's a pretty big hotel, and it definitely felt big to us. We were even more impressed with the UH after seeing those. But the FS is right next to where the Star Ferry departs to Kowloon (maybe a 10 min drive from the UH), so that was convenient.

In Kowloon, the Pen was lovely...but still felt big and more formal, but the suites had some very nice views. Very business-like feel for us, so we weren't as fond of it (and we love Pens and had perhaps the best experience at the Pen Shanghai). The RC had the best views of all, but it was a bit removed from the action in Kowloon, and just like in Shanghai the design was a bit feminine to us, and the suites oddly shaped. The IC is dated, but its lobby restaurant was fab--we had an incredibly good lunch. The suites are dated, but their views onto Central were fantastic. For the price, if I had to stay in Kowloon, I might save money and get a suite at the IC for those views--especially knowing the food was so good. But still didn't measure up to the UH (which was more expensive).

Coincidentally, the Upper House in HKG and Pen Shanghai were the closest to perfect for us--perhaps of any city hotels we've stayed at anywhere in the world. The Halkin in London is one of our faves (especially their Belgravia or Presidential Suites), but the UH in HKG and Pen Shanghai were even better.
Wow. Great review!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Definitely not RC so glad you are choosing FS .
I always take a club harbor room at the RC and never disappointed. Just curious, why do you think the RC is so bad ?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by flipstah
I'll have to read this extensively as I'm heading in HK late March. So far, Ibis seems to be a viable option.
That was a joke, right ????? Ibis?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.