Hotels in Brussels for solo woman ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Leaders Club, Small Luxury Hotels Club, Starwood Gold ,Marriott Gold, Pestana Elite.

Besides the Hotel Amigo , which charges huge prices for weekends compared to other luxury properties, which hotel do you recommend for a solo female traveler on her first time in Brussels?

I will be there for a weekend in January and I see rates are good in many luxury hotels ,though I read mixed reviews in most of them. I particularly like the Manos Stephanie hotel but it seems a bit far from the center.

Travelling alone I want to be near main atractions and restaurants and in a safe neighbourood so I can walk for dinner at night.

Need to add that the Marriott hotels are out of my list because they are all non smoking.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Check out the Conrad Brussels.. Quite nice and contemporary. My favorite hotel in Brussels.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leaders Club, Small Luxury Hotels Club, Starwood Gold ,Marriott Gold, Pestana Elite.
I am going to check it. Thanks for the tip
Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:11 am

Programs: miles & more , AEGEAN miles&bonus GOLD
I would suggest the Renaissance, just off Luxembourg sq. near the European Parliament. It is a part of the MArriott chain though so maybe non smoking. Sorry, I don't smoke so I don't notice these restrictions. If it is non smoking, try the European Apartments across the street, they have superior service and very reasonable rates on weekends with nice balconies where u may certainly smoke.

Manthos

Originally Posted by Terocas
Besides the Hotel Amigo , which charges huge prices for weekends compared to other luxury properties, which hotel do you recommend for a solo female traveler on her first time in Brussels?

I will be there for a weekend in January and I see rates are good in many luxury hotels ,though I read mixed reviews in most of them. I particularly like the Manos Stephanie hotel but it seems a bit far from the center.

Travelling alone I want to be near main atractions and restaurants and in a safe neighbourood so I can walk for dinner at night.

Need to add that the Marriott hotels are out of my list because they are all non smoking.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:01 am

Maybe, this thread would be better in one of the regional forums. It seems like the OP is more interested in hotels that have smoking rooms than luxury hotels.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I don't think there are any Luxury hotels in Brussels. Expensive hotels, yes. But true luxury, no. It's a pretty nasty town IMHO with very little to offer unless you are an EU lobbyist.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nachria
Maybe, this thread would be better in one of the regional forums. It seems like the OP is more interested in hotels that have smoking rooms than luxury hotels.
I think you're wrong! I asked for luxury hotels in Brussels with smoking rooms. Have you any problem with that? Am I interfering with your choices? Please abstain from replying when you have no intention in helping other than hidden criticism to people who have other choices than yours.

Thanks to all others who have replied . I have decided for the Plaza. It seems it is more or less the kind of hotel I am looking for and with a good location
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:39 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I would say the best place that has luxury would be the Amigo, which is about 220 E on the weekend but is close to everything. Is that expensive really? I loved the Hyatt Barsey which is now a Warwick hotel and is opulent in its furnishings, but is way down Avenue Louise. I felt safe walking from the tram/bus to the hotel, but it wasn't fun for sight seeing. The Conrad is much closer, would have smoking rooms and is near all the boutiques.

If you don't mind the downmarket Le Meridien, its quite safe and the executive rooms are quite lovely.

I would factor in proximity to sights v. cost and avoidance of the tram/subway system at night in my decision to stay in town v. the Manos, Conrad or anything way out in the EU district. The amigo at 50 euros a night more is definitely worth it.

lala
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:57 pm

First, in my experience, Hotel Amigo is one of the few luxury properties in Brussels. So, stating that the Hotel Amigo is too expensive implies that hotels that charge that much are not what you are looking for. I suggested looking at hotels that may fit your budget if the Amigo is too expensive. The regional forum may be better for that.

I do not know what you consider a luxury hotel, but the Manos Stephanie hotel from what I have heard is a mid-range hotel.

Mariott hotels are not considered luxury hotels, except for the JW Marriot.

I think you're wrong! I asked for luxury hotels in Brussels with smoking rooms.
Not when your posts states that a Marriott is in the category of hotels you are looking at.

Have you any problem with that? Am I interfering with your choices? Please abstain from replying when you have no intention in helping other than hidden criticism to people who have other choices than yours.
Suggesting that this post is moved to the regional section is not hidden criticism. It is directly stating the fact that the hotels that you are asking about are not luxury hotels.

Thanks to all others who have replied . I have decided for the Plaza. It seems it is more or less the kind of hotel I am looking for and with a good location
I am happy to hear that.

Last edited by Nachria; Oct 29, 2007 at 6:37 pm
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation Message from a Luxury Hotels Moderator

Originally Posted by Nachria
First, in my experience, Hotel Amigo is one of the few luxury properties in Brussels. So, stating that the Hotel Amigo is too expensive implies that hotels that charge that much are not what you are looking for. I suggested looking at hotels that may fit your budget if the Amigo is too expensive. The regional forum may be better for that.

I do not know what you consider a luxury hotel, but the Manos Stephanie hotel from what I have heard is a mid-range hotel.

Mariott hotels are not considered luxury hotels, except for the JW Marriot.

Not when your posts states that a Marriott is in the category of hotels you are looking at.

Suggesting that this post is moved to the regional section is not hidden criticism. It is directly stating the fact that the hotels that you are asking about are not luxury hotels.

I am happy to hear that.
As a Luxury Hotel Moderator, I am quite comfortable with this thread being in this forum.
Sometimes, lines can be blurred; a luxury hotel to one is not a luxury hotel to another. I believe that the 2 Moderators of this Forum are prepared to determine the proper venue for a given thread.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Oct 30, 2007, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for stepping in O2K. I had always thought that discussion about Marriott or Hilton hotels belonged in their respective forums. Just as talk about which is the best hotel in a particular city belonged in that city or regions forum. We've long had a tradition in the Luxury Hotels forum of redirecting people to those forums when they are not talking about true luxury properties. Yes, some of us have different interpretations of luxury, but it is usually within a narrow band and the hotels usually have a 5 star rating. Some of the chains like Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, etc. have true luxury hotels, but still they have their own forums.

I think the OP was fine, but the later talk about the Hilton and Marriott properties don't really belong here. If you want to advise someone to stay at the Conrad (which is fine advise), you may want to redirect them to the Hilton forum where they can find out all about the Conrad Brussels.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks Obscure

Yes, Stimpy, you're right, not many choices for luxury hotels in Brussels, from what I found. But as it lacks true luxury hotels , I think it's normal people suggest 5* brand properties, like some people here suggested and I also checked the Marriott.

I know perfectly well the difference between luxury and 5* when there is any. Thankfully I have stayed in many throughout the world. But that doesn't mean I am willing to pay double or triple for a property when I see others considered 5* (or luxury) with much better rates ( half price at least) for a weekend, if someone can advise me on them.

And frankly I see no reason why making so much fuss about my question.....!!

Thank you all for your suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.