Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by helvetic
The PG Grand Deluxe rooms have the best bathrooms I've ever seen. The Andaz bathrooms are lovely too.
Andaz bathrooms are kind of tiny. One sink until you go to Andaz suites for dual. A small circular tub plus shower. I think they wasted too much space with the mirrored shelves.

Originally Posted by jbeans
Thanks guys for all your input! I'm trying to stay below a 800/night budget, so I think the suites are out. Seems like if I just go for the basic room, it comes down to Peninsula or RC. Does RC ever care to upgrade a Marriott Gold member?
Book through a reputable agent and that 800 dollars might get you a suite. RC is pretty tight with multiple category upgrades. I've only ever gotten what I paid for or one category up as a Plat.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
Thanks guys for all your input! I'm trying to stay below a 800/night budget, so I think the suites are out. Seems like if I just go for the basic room, it comes down to Peninsula or RC. Does RC ever care to upgrade a Marriott Gold member?
I don’t know specifically re Marriott gold, but they do upgrade FHR/Virtuoso/STARS etc... which anyone can book regardless of Marriott/R-C rewards status. I highly recommend going for club level, but there’s not a single bad room in the hotel that I’m aware of. Even entry level rooms are very spacious and have views, since there is no such thing as a low floor room at Tokyo’s tallest hotel.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:38 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don’t know specifically re Marriott gold, but they do upgrade FHR/Virtuoso/STARS etc... which anyone can book regardless of Marriott/R-C rewards status. I highly recommend going for club level, but there’s not a single bad room in the hotel that I’m aware of. Even entry level rooms are very spacious and have views, since there is no such thing as a low floor room at Tokyo’s tallest hotel.
Tokyo's tallest hotel would be the Andaz Tokyo, considering it's the top floors of the tallest building in Tokyo.
nnn likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:13 pm

Tokyo's tallest hotel would be the Andaz Tokyo, considering it's the top floors of the tallest building in Tokyo.
I seem to recall that occupied space, i.e. top guest room floor of R-C is in fact Tokyo’s tallest accommodation, regardless of building height. But it matters little. R-C location best views.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

room floors >
47 to 53 RC (52 53 club rooms)
47 to 50 andaz (dining on 51 52)

ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/japan/tokyo/offers/hinokizaka-chefs-table

October 29, November 26 2017 Special kaiseki dinner 7:00 p.m.
By advanced reservation only. Hinokizaka - Kaiseki chef, Ishida is introducing Kappo Style Chef’s Table dinner from September onwards at Hinokizaka. Limited to 8 guests per dinner, the evening will offer a unique Kaiseki dining style where guests can directly interact with Chef Ishida to learn more about each of his unique dishes. JPY20,000 / 10-course dinner
anyone heard re 6 person private dining room at Hinokizaka?
edit - what is minimum spend and what F&B can be ordered?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 25, 2017 at 6:36 am
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
room floors >
47 to 53 RC (52 53 club rooms)
47 to 50 andaz (dining on 51 52)

ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/japan/tokyo/offers/hinokizaka-chefs-table

anyone heard re 6 person private dining room at Hinokizaka?
I’ve eaten in the PDR at Hinokizaka years ago. It is beautiful, and is actually an historical structure that was transported from somewhere and installed at the hotel.

The Kappou style dining sounds very nice, although I have my regular spots so wouldn’t go out of my way for it in particular. Teppanyaki is another story... R-C Tokyo’s teppanyaki is excellent and rivals that of the best of the traditipnal Japanese hotels.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any insight on the Prince Gallery vs the Ritz-Carlton as a SPG/Marriott plat, assuming I'm booking a base room? Both locations are about equal to me, so it's more about overall experience, hard product and possible upgrade/benefits (which seem rather sparse at the Ritz given their elite recognition rates)

No way of booking a virtuoso/FHR/STARS rate, since I already have a pretty cheap(ish) corporate rate I'll be using.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Martellus
Any insight on the Prince Gallery vs the Ritz-Carlton as a SPG/Marriott plat, assuming I'm booking a base room? Both locations are about equal to me, so it's more about overall experience, hard product and possible upgrade/benefits (which seem rather sparse at the Ritz given their elite recognition rates)

No way of booking a virtuoso/FHR/STARS rate, since I already have a pretty cheap(ish) corporate rate I'll be using.
I would rather be at the Ritz-Carlton regardless of upgrade likelihood, but I can’t comment on the Prince Gallery.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

You may want to check the Prince Gallery Kioicho Tokyo thread in the Starwood forum for comparison. For entry level rooms, I seem to recall some level of consternation that those were a bit on the small side. Maybe for entry level, you can consider the RC...though that won't get you into the RC Club.

We are staying at the Prince Gallery in May but I'm assuming my Plat100 Ambassador status and perks will get us a suite upgrade.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
You may want to check the Prince Gallery Kioicho Tokyo thread in the Starwood forum for comparison. For entry level rooms, I seem to recall some level of consternation that those were a bit on the small side. Maybe for entry level, you can consider the RC...though that won't get you into the RC Club.

We are staying at the Prince Gallery in May but I'm assuming my Plat100 Ambassador status and perks will get us a suite upgrade.
As Plat100 it’s of course a different story, because you will very possibly get upgraded to a higher category of suite.

For standard Platinum status, I think R-C is likely the best way to go. There is no such thing as a bad room at R-C, and FWIW, in my experience the hotel is actually generous with upgrades. I suspect any reputation the hotel may have for being less likely to upgrade may be based on reports from people staying on award redemptions.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:53 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I think base-level Plat treatment will be far superior at the Prince Gallery. Ritz really doesn't care for elite status at all: even as a Plat, you won't get club access or a suite upgrade or free breakfast of any kind or, really, anything at all. At the Prince Gallery, you're guaranteed an upgrade to the best available room, or a suite, and you get breakfast at the restaurant, and club access.

In my experience, the Prince Gallery is a great place to be an elite. I've stayed there before I made Plat100, and since, and was impressed with the way i was treated both times.

Also–I've stayed in the Prince Gallery base room and they might be "small" (40m^2), but they make extremely good use of the space and feel a lot more spacious than you'd imagine. I'd be 100% happy with the available space in the base room. There really is not a bad room at the Prince Gallery. (See my reviews for some pictures)
uggboy and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:01 am

I think we’re talking about different things here. “Elite” recognition aside, the standard rooms at R-C are over 50 square meters, and have great views. The baseline level of service is also already very high, for all guests.

I also assure you that if you are one of their loyal guests, i.e. a regular specifically at Ritz-Carlton Tokyo, their recognition of loyalty is second to none.

But, you are right, they do not particularly care if a guest has status earned outside of Ritz-Carlton. They do follow the terms and conditions of the program, but will not necessarily do anything more. The type of rate paid also matters. Platinum on award stay, Platinum on low corporate rate, or Platinum paying BAR are totally different situations.

But, ad I have said, even their standard room and standard level of service is very high. EVERY guest is treated very well.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
The PG Grand Deluxe rooms have the best bathrooms I've ever seen.
Music to my ears
I'm very excited to stay in a Grand Deluxe next month!
uggboy and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
But, you are right, they do not particularly care if a guest has status earned outside of Ritz-Carlton. They do follow the terms and conditions of the program, but will not necessarily do anything more. The type of rate paid also matters. Platinum on award stay, Platinum on low corporate rate, or Platinum paying BAR are totally different situations.
Mike - do you mean that BAR gets treated better than low corporate rate, which in turn gets treated better than award stay?

I'm halfway tempted to just call ahead the day before I'm in Tokyo and ask them "if I book a 4-night stay starting tomorrow, what upgrade can I expect?" And base my decision on that, lol.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:11 pm

Mike - do you mean that BAR gets treated better than low corporate rate, which in turn gets treated better than award stay?

I'm halfway tempted to just call ahead the day before I'm in Tokyo and ask them "if I book a 4-night stay starting tomorrow, what upgrade can I expect?" And base my decision on that, lol.
I don’t know the inner workings of their upgrade system. At any hotel, rate paid does factor into upgrade priority in addition to loyalty, guest history, and sheer luck.

That strategy will likely not work in Tokyo, unless you’re talking about negotiating for a higher level suite. You will be given the by-the-book answer, per your applicable status and/or booking channel benefits.

Remember, a room upgrade at this hotel is only to a different view. The room will essentially be the same. Room to suite upgrades, as well as upgrades to club floor can happen, but are less likely.

Even a regular Deluxe Room is very nice, so I wouldn’t overthink upgrades.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 25, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.