Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
Sorry to belabor this point, but I really want to understand the cultural norms. I'm currently working with the PH Tokyo and Conrad Osaka on future stay requests and neither concierge has asked for scans of my CC - they have only asked for a signed authorization form. So is it just the authorization form that seems always required, or also the CC scans? As I noted in later posts, I don't have nearly as much a problem with the form as I do the CC scans.
Normally authorization forms with CC details. Some hotels used to ask for copies but haven't ran into one recently
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:49 pm

Helping plan a honeymoon to Tokyo for a couple in their mid 30's. Pretty sophisticated and their first trip to Japan. I am a big fan of the MO and RC, but they don't feel right to me for them. I don't like the Pen nor the location of PH. I have not stayed at any of
the newer (and possibly cooler?) entries - Aman, Andaz, etc. Any thoughts? TIA.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
PH is really weird. They wanted me to fax the forms (who has one of those these days?)
Lots of apps available for faxing.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Helping plan a honeymoon to Tokyo for a couple in their mid 30's. Pretty sophisticated and their first trip to Japan. I am a big fan of the MO and RC, but they don't feel right to me for them. I don't like the Pen nor the location of PH. I have not stayed at any of
aman or hoshinoya for a truly memorable stay.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prince Gallery Kiocho is worth a look.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:04 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Prince Gallery Kioicho for sure, or Andaz as a second choice.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mickidon
I would say Aman or Andaz would fit their bill.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Prince Gallery Kiocho is worth a look.
To those interested in Prince Gallery Kiocho -- don't forget about Starwood's Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) feature which, if successful, not only matches the price but also takes 20% off.

Just had good experience doing BRG at this property for two short stays next year. Not sure how common it is but wanted to share nonetheless
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:12 am

I'm getting married this summer and we have decided to reconsider our plans of going to Hong Kong and instead go and revisit Tokyo. Tokyo was the very first international trip we made together and it has a very special place in our hearts so it only feels natural going back. And as we both were rather young at the time we didn't really feel we made the best out of the trip either so there is so much stuff we would like to do this time around that we didn't on our last visit.

We had some great luck with our last trip as we visited summer 2011, right after the Fukushima incident which made the hotel prices really cheap as many hotels struggled with the lack of tourism at that point. We ended up with a Deluxe Executive Room with Lounge Access at the Conrad Hotel. This hotel felt really modern, the room was spacious and modernly decorated which we enjoy. We tend to fancy modern design rather than classic/royal design. The breakfast was amazing and the service level was beyond pretty much anything but we figured that's more a Japanese thing and not isolated to the hotel itself. We didn't really use the lounge that much, we had some drinks there a few times but the breakfast for instance was really limited in the lounge compared to the main one downstairs so we always ended up not using it for anything other than perhaps some evening whiskey. Location felt great as well as you have access to the train/metro right beneath your feet and you have walking distance to Giza and a lot of great dining, the the Chinese restaurant on the hotel itself was stellar though rather expensive for what it is.

The big question is whether we should aim of the same hotel or go for something else. The Conrad Hotel in Tokyo has been our all-time favourite hotel thus far so we feel really comfortable with going back to it. But at the same time you also have the feeling you should try something new. We almost ended up with the Park Hyatt the last time but as the Conrad offered us such a great discount we didn't feel the Park Hyatt was worth 25% more for non-executive rooms. We are again looking at the Park Hyatt but its still more expensive, it seems to have a inferior location and some people seem to be claiming that the hotel and the rooms feel somewhat outdated and is in the need for some renovation.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RamGuy
I'm getting married this summer and we have decided to reconsider our plans of going to Hong Kong and instead go and revisit Tokyo. Tokyo was the very first international trip we made together and it has a very special place in our hearts so it only feels natural going back. And as we both were rather young at the time we didn't really feel we made the best out of the trip either so there is so much stuff we would like to do this time around that we didn't on our last visit.

We had some great luck with our last trip as we visited summer 2011, right after the Fukushima incident which made the hotel prices really cheap as many hotels struggled with the lack of tourism at that point. We ended up with a Deluxe Executive Room with Lounge Access at the Conrad Hotel. This hotel felt really modern, the room was spacious and modernly decorated which we enjoy. We tend to fancy modern design rather than classic/royal design. The breakfast was amazing and the service level was beyond pretty much anything but we figured that's more a Japanese thing and not isolated to the hotel itself. We didn't really use the lounge that much, we had some drinks there a few times but the breakfast for instance was really limited in the lounge compared to the main one downstairs so we always ended up not using it for anything other than perhaps some evening whiskey. Location felt great as well as you have access to the train/metro right beneath your feet and you have walking distance to Giza and a lot of great dining, the the Chinese restaurant on the hotel itself was stellar though rather expensive for what it is.

The big question is whether we should aim of the same hotel or go for something else. The Conrad Hotel in Tokyo has been our all-time favourite hotel thus far so we feel really comfortable with going back to it. But at the same time you also have the feeling you should try something new. We almost ended up with the Park Hyatt the last time but as the Conrad offered us such a great discount we didn't feel the Park Hyatt was worth 25% more for non-executive rooms. We are again looking at the Park Hyatt but its still more expensive, it seems to have a inferior location and some people seem to be claiming that the hotel and the rooms feel somewhat outdated and is in the need for some renovation.
There's never anything wrong with going back to Conrad. It's one of the best Conrads in the world but you'll find prices are entirely different than during Fukushima. Conrad prices might not be too dissimilar to PH this time around. Depends on you guys vis a vis price, location, different experience, etc.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:40 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The Conrad is fantastic. If you want to try something new, I suggest giving the Andaz or the Prince Gallery a shot. Both are also very modern and I believe you'll love them even more than the Conrad.
kar don and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond
What are the best hotels in Shibuya? I've always stayed in AirBnBs in Tokyo, but I'm looking to splurge this time. Now I'm realizing that none of the oft-discussed hotels in this thread are in areas that are of any interest to me. I spend 75% of my time in Shibuya and love being able to walk everywhere. Even north of Shibuya station area, like Kamiyamacho, Yoyogi-Koen I've fallen in love with. In fact I have a custom Google Map that I made with maybe 200 pinpoints (shopping, food, etc) and hardly any of them are in the areas where the 5 star hotels are. Suggestions?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:00 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HarryLime
What are the best hotels in Shibuya? I've always stayed in AirBnBs in Tokyo, but I'm looking to splurge this time. Now I'm realizing that none of the oft-discussed hotels in this thread are in areas that are of any interest to me. I spend 75% of my time in Shibuya and love being able to walk everywhere. Even north of Shibuya station area, like Kamiyamacho, Yoyogi-Koen I've fallen in love with. In fact I have a custom Google Map that I made with maybe 200 pinpoints (shopping, food, etc) and hardly any of them are in the areas where the 5 star hotels are. Suggestions?
Shinjuku is kinda close, maybe look at the Park Hyatt?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:20 am

I think the Cerulean Tower hotel is probably your best option. https://www.ceruleantower-hotel.com/en/

I have never stayed, but by all accounts it’s a good four star option. It’s one of the flagship Tokyu hotels, which is a good brand although not “luxury,” with the possible exception of the flagship Capitol Tokyu hotel. But, it’s still perfectly good and its location fits the bill precisely. You step out the door into Shibuya without needing to take any trains or taxis to/fro.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No personal experience, but I've heard good things about Shibuya Granbell Hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.