Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Did we make a mistake by booking the Ritz Carlton, FL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I'm new (go easy on me! ) on this forum and am needing some advice:

Long story short - as a reward from work, I could choose from several awards (merchandise, travel certificates, etc.). I choose free Ritz Carlton stays and have booked several nights with them. My husband and I were thinking since we could never afford to go there on our own, this would be a great way to experience luxury stays/travel.

But now I am having second thoughts. I am afraid the cost of the REST of the vacation will still be too much. Such as resort fees, parking fees, dining - (it comes with one free meal for two a day though), tipping of hotel staff (who do I need to tip?), any other fees (like to use beach chairs? beach towels?). Also, you have to pay for internet usage, so we need to probably have all activities/dining researched and planned before leaving because I don't want that as an added cost to the vacation.

We are staying at the Sarasota, FL location and we are taking our children and using this as our family vacation. The resort does have child friendly activities that I have already checked into- however the day camp is VERY expensive so we won't be sending the kids to that.

Rather, we plan to do our own outings and visit the beach and pool quite often!

The award does come with Ritz Carlton "bucks" to spend at the resort (most likely I'll have to use it all on parking fees though), and it also come with a Spa certificate.

I guess I am wanting any suggestions on what we can do to cut costs, ways to get upgrades, or anything like that.

If this is posted in the wrong place, sorry. And thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by thriftyfam; Jun 15, 2007 at 11:16 pm
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

welcome to FT

it sounds like a great award as it is, im not sure how you could possibly get upgrades etc on top of it..

perhaps you can look for cheaper parking and restaurants in the area? you can always talk to the concierge about such things. not sure how far youre driving.. if you dont know the area, it might be better to post in the Florida forum to get that kind of information.

hope the trip goes well
Old Jun 16, 2007, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
it's been awhile since i stayed at a ritz carlton and went to the pool/beach, but i don't remember having to pay a fee to use their beach towels, etc. (if there is one, you can always bring down the towels from the room, just remember to bring them back. if you make friends with your housekeepers, you can get extra towels no problem...read on.)

in hotels where there's a resort fee (anyone know offhand if the rc charges one?) that typically covers things like towels and chairs.

it might be worth your time, thriftyfam, to call the rc directly (or just call rc reservations, since it's toll-free) and inquire about resort fees, parking, etc., so you can plan ahead.

in terms of tipping (i may not be the best person to answer this, but someone else will surely correct me if i misstep ):

when the bellman carries your luggage to your room, it's $1-$2 per bag. same when he takes it down to the car at the end of your stay.

when you pick up your car from the valet--each time--it's at least $1.

you'll find you get GREAT service from the housekeepers if you leave a tip for them daily, rather than at the end of your stay (i learned this here on ft) and several dollars a day up to five (are you guys messy?) should do the trick. if you're looking for more towels, shampoo, soaps or whatever, the tip to the housekeepers can pay off well here. we've gotten more than our money's worth in bottled water in some hotels with this--granted, this was in asia.

i'm guessing you won't be ordering room service....if you do, check to see how much of a service charge is already included...you may not need to add a tip at all, or just a buck or two.

this forum isn't really about saving money while at a luxury hotel, but here are a few thrifty tips. (be sure to read some of the other forums as well, particularly budget travel, as there may be some ideas there that apply despite your staying in a luxury hotel.)

you don't say how long your stay is...but you could find an internet cafe close to the hotel if you need information or to check email while you're in sarasota.

you might consider taking breakfast bars and/or fruit to be able to skip a hotel meal or two.

since i gather you're trying to save pennies, here's something you might not know--if you hide the soap, shampoo, etc when you leave the room (like in your suitcase or something) they'll replace it with shiny new bottles each day. when i moved up to staying at luxury hotels, i thought this was the most amazing thing, and used to come home with bags of goodies...until i had done it enough that said small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap threatened to take over my house. now i only do it if i really like the product...that ritz carlton soap is a keeper.

have a wonderful trip.

hey, one more thing...when are you going? i just checked out tripadvisor and saw there's some construction next door...not sure that would be an issue for you, but it would for me! be sure to read more than just the first page of reviews.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:34 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
One way to cut costs -- but only if you're planning to stay at the resort the entire time -- would be to get a round-trip transfer from the Sarasota airport to the RC resort. You'd save on parking fees.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
You should try and see if you can make arrangements for Club Level, especially if you are traveling with kids. When we travel with ours we try to do that and it covers the breakfasts and snacks. They also have cookies and other items from about 7:00 p.m. on. Since your gift comes from your company, they may upgrade you automatically, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

You don't pay fees for towels, chairs, etc. at the Ritz. They should have fruit and water near the pool and there is no cost for that either. Check the hotel's website for self-parking and then you won't have to tip anyone. If each of you is traveling with one bag you can probably get by with everyone just taking their own bag to their room. The bellman and others have seen this before, so I wouldn't overthink it and enjoy your vacation. If you are like my family, take some good pictures because God knows when you will end up at the Ritz again.

One rule though: Make sure everyone behaves as though they vacation at the Ritz every year. I've been known to give my kids the death stare if they even think about acting up! Have fun.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by cacic
One rule though: Make sure everyone behaves as though they vacation at the Ritz every year. I've been known to give my kids the death stare if they even think about acting up! Have fun.
god bless you.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Hi and welcome to FT. Any Ritz I have stayed in usually has a fridge to stock your own water,snacks, etc. If the Sarasota Ritz doesn't have a fridge, you can have one sent up to your room. Most places don't charge for this, but you may want to ask the concierge if you e-mail them.You may want to stop at the store and stock up on some cereal, snacks, drinks, etc. A lot of people do this, so don't feel funny. That will save you some money right there. Ask the housekeepers for extra waters. Just right it on a piece of paper and put it under whatever you decide to tip her. We tip $5, but three or four is ok too.Some people don't even tip these poor ladies,so leave whatever you are comfortable with.

The Ritz doesn't charge for towels and pool chairs are free, but I don't know about beach chairs at that resort. Make sure to self park your car. Valet is about $15-20 nightly. You can e-mail the concierge to ask any questions you are not sure about. I know the Ritz in Kapalua, Maui does charge a ridiculous internet fee. I don't know if they all charge that much. Did you know that the beach is three miles from the hotel, but they will shuttle you for free to and from? You get a free morning paper. I know there is an 18% gratuity and a $4.00 delivery charge automatically on your in-room dining bill, so don't tip twice if you in-room. I hope this helps.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:33 am
Original Poster

thanks for the replies

thanks everyone so much for the helpful replies.

I thought I had read that valet parking was mandatory there, but I will check into self parking.

I love the reply about the "death stare" I TOTALLY know what you are talking about and have begun to prep my kids by showing them pics. of the hotel and saying "look how pretty this is" and we will have to wear "handsome clothes" (as my son calls them) and really be good when we are there. I hope this helps them understand. But really they are well behaved kids (me- bragging, sorry), otherwise we wouldn't dare take on such a trip! ha!

thanks again. If I have any more questions I will post again. You all are WAY nicer than many forums I have posted on before.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parking
Valet Parking only. A $18 fee per car per night applies.
might there be cheaper/free parking within walking distance to the hotel?

also, would the OP be able to get good information/recommendations for cheaper restaurants from the concierge?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
If I may chime in with a different perspective...

It sounds like you are considering taking leisure time to vacation at a venue that might be outside your comfortable norm (i.e., possible dress "code", cost, etc.). If you're having to worry about these types of considerations, will that really be a relaxing vacation for you?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might be a good question, although it sounded to me like cost was more of a concern to the OP, and as discussed there are plenty of alternatives to buying everything from the hotel. were also only talking about the RC Sarasota.

maybe someone could clarify on dress code. i would think wear and tear would really be the only thing to avoid, in addition to changing at the pool/beach.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
For those (myself certainly included) who pay our own expenses, a stay at a luxury property is a special treat - often a figurative or literal (as with the OP) reward for a job well done.

Realizing that a property like this specific R-C is not to be treated as a hedonistic Club-Med type place, there is no reason not to take advantage of the opportunity that the OP's hard work has provided to her and her family. There is nothing mutually exclusive about staying at a luxury property *and* being discretionary with your spending. Make the best use of your funds by prioritizing spending on those experiences that will be the most meaningful to your family, and feel no qualms about such common-sense steps as bringing basic things into the hotel with you, or things like avoiding meals in expensive venues that your kids might not get the most benefit out of.

Have a GREAT and memorable time with your family
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
For those (myself certainly included) who pay our own expenses, a stay at a luxury property is a special treat - often a figurative or literal (as with the OP) reward for a job well done.

Realizing that a property like this specific R-C is not to be treated as a hedonistic Club-Med type place, there is no reason not to take advantage of the opportunity that the OP's hard work has provided to her and her family. There is nothing mutually exclusive about staying at a luxury property *and* being discretionary with your spending. Make the best use of your funds by prioritizing spending on those experiences that will be the most meaningful to your family, and feel no qualms about such common-sense steps as bringing basic things into the hotel with you, or things like avoiding meals in expensive venues that your kids might not get the most benefit out of.

Have a GREAT and memorable time with your family
THANK YOU! Well said. And yes, spending $40 per child to eat at a buffet is not the best use of anyones funds IMHO, whether they can afford it or not. My kids would much rather eat at the local McDonald's probably (I, however, would probably love the buffet!!).

As far as the PP mentioned, about not feeling comfortable with "dress codes", (and yes there are varying ranges of dress codes at this RC - resort casual, business casual, jacket required, etc.).

That, we are fine, with. . my 5 year old, however would rather walk around in with just shorts on-- no shirt and no shoes. . . therefore, the explanation of wearing "handsome clothes" while we are there will help prepare him. I'm not stressed about that part.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the insight to help us make the best of our vacation!
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:25 pm
In memoriam

Welcome to Flyer Talk. I live in Florida - and have stayed at 4 of the 9 Ritz Carltons in the state (Naples, Coconut Grove, Amelia Island and Sarasota). I'm familiar with the other properties.

I think the first issue is - since you're traveling with children - whether a property will be kid-friendly. I don't think Sarasota is. It is more or less a small city (Sarasota is a small city) hotel with a beach club that's about a 10-15 drive away from the hotel - assuming you are in off season and there's no traffic. It's more of an adult place (not only the hotel - but the entire area). Ditto with Naples (although it's directly on the beach). Naples Golf speaks for itself. South Beach is more of a "young adults who want to be in South Beach scene". Coconut Grove is mostly a business hotel.

Palm Beach is a kid-friendly property - especially in the summer - but it is an older property and not to the liking of a lot of people here. Palm Beach is also very expensive. It's a "big bucks crowd". Ditto with Key Biscayne (a newer property - but - again - with a "big bucks crowd"). That leaves Orlando and Amelia Island. Orlando brings the Disney experience into play (which you may or may not want). I happen to live up near Amelia Island. The property is nice - on the beach - recently renovated - with lots of kid stuff - and considerably lower key. On the other hand - we are in north Florida. The ocean - even in the summer - is not hot (it's - at best - warm). Amelia Island isn't the most happening place in the world (although the kids might enjoy the Jacksonville zoo - a pretty good zoo - about a 30 minute drive from the hotel). There are lots of inexpensive restaurants in the area (people in Fernandina Beach have a lot less money than people in Palm Beach or Sarasota or Naples or Miami).

You didn't say when you were planning to go - or what you wanted to do when you got here. So perhaps if you give more information - we can help a bit more. If you are talking about - for example - Christmas - it is too cold to swim in the ocean up north at Amelia Island - although the hotel has an indoor pool and does put together one of the largest gingerbread houses in the world for the kids.

I think at any Ritz Carlton you will have a certain degree of formality (that's just the way Ritz Carltons are) for various things (like for the Christmas tea for kids up here - the kids get all dressed up). You don't necessarily need a huge amount of money - but you're not talking about a Motel 6 budget either. To get the best of the hotel experience - you should check what things cost at the hotel - and plan to include some of them in your trip. And you will have to pack appropriate clothing for various activities. Robyn
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:41 pm
In memoriam

P.S. I don't remember exactly what property has what parking arrangement. Some have self-park for free on the property. Others don't. Check with the property. I can't think of a single RC I've stayed at in Florida that has convenient ok parking off-site. Normal wired internet service is about $20/night. Perhaps some properties have free wireless - I don't know. I do know that the business center at Amelia Island will let you use the computers for free for a few minutes a day (left my computer home one weekend but had to check a hurricane during that stay).

Also check the terms of your reward. If it's just room cost - you may be talking about 10-20% in state and local taxes extra.

And I do agree with Somewhere Over the Atlantic. No matter what - you are going to find that many things in any Ritz Carlton cost a fair amount. And you can't spend your entire trip sitting in your room worrying that you can't do this - that - or the other thing - or anything. Otherwise - the point of staying in a Ritz Carlton is lost. So I'd try to put together a list of things that are things you'd like to do during your stay - and incorporate them in your budget. If you can't do that - I don't think you'll have a lot of fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.