Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Can anyone speak to how "quiet" Amanpulo is? Let me provide context:

We loved Amanoi and Amantaka, but felt like it was almost eerie how quiet and desolate the resort was. We were at the bar every night of our four night stay at Amanoi, and didn't see a single other guest. Rarely saw anyone at meal time either, as if people were exclusively eating in their room for all meals.

While we love privacy, and want to go to Amanpulo as a chance to reconnect after a particularly rough sprint at work, that sort of "eerie" feeling where you don't see any other guests ever is a bit much for us.

Any thoughts?

FWIW, we were at Amanoi and Amantaka during low season (June/July). We are a mid-20's couple.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:45 pm

Speaking solely from personal experience, I found Pulo much more "lively" compared to Noi and Taka. You will definitely see other guests during dinner at the Clubhouse and around the beach club during certain hours. I enjoy having breakfast at the beach club and it's fun to see people coming and leaving with the boats and from the snorkeling trips - great time to catch up and talk about turtle adventures. The footprint of the resort is much smaller compared to Noi, where the beach club is buggy ride away down the hill and far more spread out in general. But it's the perfect mixture -- most of the time you will have the beach entirely to your own and there's literally no one there so you can go for these extended walks around the island and not bump into anyone, but if you're after some conversation with staff and/or other guests, the clubhouse is quite lively during breakfast and dinner. Less so in the afternoon. Pool is also very quiet. But it does depend on the season, I've been there in both December and July and naturally you'll find it different, but still the same observations to a certain degree. If you want something more social, try Puri -- very different.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Speaking solely from personal experience, I found Pulo much more "lively" compared to Noi and Taka. You will definitely see other guests during dinner at the Clubhouse and around the beach club during certain hours. I enjoy having breakfast at the beach club and it's fun to see people coming and leaving with the boats and from the snorkeling trips - great time to catch up and talk about turtle adventures. The footprint of the resort is much smaller compared to Noi, where the beach club is buggy ride away down the hill and far more spread out in general. But it's the perfect mixture -- most of the time you will have the beach entirely to your own and there's literally no one there so you can go for these extended walks around the island and not bump into anyone, but if you're after some conversation with staff and/or other guests, the clubhouse is quite lively during breakfast and dinner. Less so in the afternoon. Pool is also very quiet. But it does depend on the season, I've been there in both December and July and naturally you'll find it different, but still the same observations to a certain degree. If you want something more social, try Puri -- very different.
Exactly what I was looking for regarding information. Based on your account, I think Pulo would be perfect for ~4 nights.

I'm going through this thread from the beginning now, but where do people typically combine for another 3-4 nights? I can imagine Manila for 1 night, but not much more.

Is doing Puri/Pulo combination do-able? Looks like Cebu flies nonstop between Manila and Phuket, though that might be too much resort for one vacation. Maybe worth combining with a city - mainland China perhaps...it's been a while since I've been to PVG/BJS (and haven't been to other cities in China).

Lots to think about!

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, we're planning for early-September, which may be poor weather for Phuket. Also probably very hot in much of China...
EDIT2: Yikes, sounds like Pulo weather in early-September would be pretty rough too. Maybe need to put this one on the backburner....

Last edited by callmedtop; Aug 1, 2016 at 3:08 pm
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Exactly what I was looking for regarding information. Based on your account, I think Pulo would be perfect for ~4 nights.

I'm going through this thread from the beginning now, but where do people typically combine for another 3-4 nights? I can imagine Manila for 1 night, but not much more.

Is doing Puri/Pulo combination do-able? Looks like Cebu flies nonstop between Manila and Phuket, though that might be too much resort for one vacation. Maybe worth combining with a city - mainland China perhaps...it's been a while since I've been to PVG/BJS (and haven't been to other cities in China).

Lots to think about!

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, we're planning for early-September, which may be poor weather for Phuket. Also probably very hot in much of China...
EDIT2: Yikes, sounds like Pulo weather in early-September would be pretty rough too. Maybe need to put this one on the backburner....
Agree with scented .
While we usually breakfast at our casita , we found that there usually are people at the beach club or clubhouse any time . Restaurants usually had more than 2 tables occupied .
Prefer the beach by our casita as it is more like having it to ourselves with occasional beachcombers ( other guests doing their beach runs / walks )

You can still try Pulo in September ( one knows about potential typhoons ahead of time you can switch Amans in time ) & combine it with AmanIndons , perhaps Nusa or Kila .
Flying from Manila is better . There are connections unless you are on your private jet & want to see Cebu . But why after Pulo .
Weather should be fine at Bali then .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Aug 1, 2016 at 3:28 pm
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Agree with scented .

You can still try Pulo in September & combine it with AmanIndons , perhaps Nusa or Kila .

Weather should be fine then .
Holding back from returning to Indonesia until our honeymoon in 2018 - the most special place we'e been to to-date, so want to "save it" for then.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Don't want to derail this thread from Amanpulo discussions, but I think September forecast is a bit too risky for us to roll the dice on.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:38 pm

Holding back from returning to Indonesia until our honeymoon in 2018 - the most special place we'e been to to-date, so want to "save it" for then.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Don't want to derail this thread from Amanpulo discussions, but I think September forecast is a bit too risky for us to roll the dice on.
Oops , my speedy typing so edit crossed your post !
Congrats ^ , oh ok , save for your honeymoon unless you ' d like to try Wana & overnight at Nusa . Combine with Jiwo ? Puri might be ok in September as we have had good weather sans crowds as everyone assumes poor weather then .
It will be rather muggy in Indochina & China then . If you don ' t mind that can combine with Sara .

So try Pulo - Puri - Sara , best Pulo till last in itinerary though

Save rest for 2018 .
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Oops , my speedy typing so edit crossed your post !
Congrats ^ , oh ok , save for your honeymoon unless you ' d like to try Wana & overnight at Nusa . Combine with Jiwo ? Puri might be ok in September as we have had good weather sans crowds as everyone assumes poor weather then .
It will be rather muggy in Indochina & China then . If you don ' t mind that can combine with Sara .

So try Pulo - Puri - Sara , best Pulo till last in itinerary though

Save rest for 2018 .
Based on Wikipedia weather, seems like September isn't THAT bad at Pulo - way better than July / August. Maybe I will take chances after all.

My heart is set on Jiwo for honeymoon (or maybe even wedding??), but love the idea of combining Wana and Pulo. Might be tough to pull off from a logistics standpoint but might be possible. I enjoy scuba so Pulo + Wana would be really great.

So 4 nights Pulo, 3 nights Wana, 1 night Nusa for transfer. Might be too tiring to get to Wana so may have to wait on that one as well...

Lot to think about. Maybe also can do Pulo + Beijing (SP?), which has cooled off in September and from what I remember is actually a pretty nice month.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:08 pm

Based on Wikipedia weather, seems like September isn't THAT bad at Pulo - way better than July / August. Maybe I will take chances after all.

My heart is set on Jiwo for honeymoon (or maybe even wedding??), but love the idea of combining Wana and Pulo. Might be tough to pull off from a logistics standpoint but might be possible. I enjoy scuba so Pulo + Wana would be really great.

So 4 nights Pulo, 3 nights Wana, 1 night Nusa for transfer. Might be too tiring to get to Wana so may have to wait on that one as well...

Lot to think about. Maybe also can do Pulo + Beijing (SP?), which has cooled off in September and from what I remember is actually a pretty nice month.
If you do go , Wana then Pulo !
Doable with Nusa as stepping stone to recuperate after flights especially if on LH to get over some jet lag
Always try to go stay at Pulo last , if combining ASEAN / PRC Amans .
( FYI , Christophe O is not only covering Pulo as GM but also PRC Amans . )

ASP was too hot in early September for me . Perhaps closer to October is bearable . Went after Olympics in October my first time soon & it was rather pleasant though with teething issues . Some fall colours at the Great Wall section we visited too . ASP had just opened , teething issues .
If you can ' t switch sequence , Pulo then ASP ok as is very , very different
Quite a combination / mix
Haven't returned in awhile so not sure how it is now . But loved the theatre , indoor facilities to combat the outside elements , wonderful reprieve very much welcomed . We had lots of yummy home made ice creams to cool off .
Loved the private access to the Summer Palace .
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:11 pm

I think that you will love Pulo indeed, especially as it is a great mixture of everything, you can hide away in your casita/villa or socialize at one of the many venues! September is a good time on Pamalican, but you just never know these days. So unpredictable. Stop over in Manila, but not more than one night. I'd usually recommend the Raffles there but it's not the same since James Bevans left - many here like the Peninsula. Make sure to let Pulo know of your travel plans, as they have good connections in Manila. Christina D at Aman is also friends with many Manila GMs, so they can arrange everything. What many here (myself included) like to do is combine Pulo with a stay in Hong Kong, the flight (especially CX) connections are great for just that. A solid city hotel (FS HK, LMO) might be the best urban counterpart to Pulo, as traveling is all about balance, right? Wana is also a great addition to Pulo! Depends what you are after. I would probably combine Puri with a more cultural resort. Whatever you end up booking, enjoy!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:24 pm

Thanks to all!

I think I'm leaning towards Pulo + Summer Palace, though will definitely require thinking through. Agree with ending at Pulo for the "last stop" if at all possible. A very good friend moved to Pulo a few months ago in a manager position so I'm sure the experience will be only helped with that tidbit.

Been in HK a few too many times in the past couple of years (did UH most recently before Amanoi), so want to mix things up this time.

Would love to make Amanwana happen, but if we only have 8-9 nights to work with total, don't think it's really feasible.

Thinking 3-4 nights in PEK, then 1 night Manila, and 4 nights Pulo. Would be nice mix of culture/city and relaxation.

Food for thought...
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Can anyone speak to how "quiet" Amanpulo is?
Very. Go through pictures of Pulo and you will notice that there is rarely another person in sight. This is an Aman thing and it is hard to get used to. Summer Palace is the worst in this regard. I've stay several times at Summer Palace and not seen another guest. You will find Puri a bit sparse also. The only Amans where I have seen other people are 'Gani and 'Giri.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Very. Go through pictures of Pulo and you will notice that there is rarely another person in sight. This is an Aman thing and it is hard to get used to. Summer Palace is the worst in this regard. I've stay several times at Summer Palace and not seen another guest. You will find Puri a bit sparse also. The only Amans where I have seen other people are 'Gani and 'Giri.
Interesting. I've heard this as well about Summer Palace, now that I think about it.

If we do Beijing, we'll probably stay in the city (at Pen or Rosewood, likely) for primarily this reason.

Thanks for the insight.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
If we do Beijing, we'll probably stay in the city (at Pen or Rosewood, likely) for primarily this reason.
Veering off topic, but be careful choosing a hotel in Beijing. Location is very important in Beijing because of the traffic. That is why I suffer at Summer Palace -- it is close to where I need to be.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:31 am

Is it a good time to combine Indo Amans with Pulo beginning December? I think Pulo is OK but for Indonesia itīs not the best time?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:47 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by landing
Is it a good time to combine Indo Amans with Pulo beginning December? I think Pulo is OK but for Indonesia itīs not the best time?
Amanpulo is fine. Indonesia isn't bad, but Ubud can be tough - it generally rains there more than rest of Bali. You may end up with an hour or two of very heavy rain in south Bali, but it could rain almost the whole day at Ubud.

Having said that, Ubud in the rain is absolutely lovely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.