St. Petersburg Russia Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Petersburg Russia Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 1:56 pm

Astoria Hotel quick notes

Seeing this thread again reminded me that I never did post my impressions of the Astoria. In a nutshell - certainly sounds better than the GH Europe, but definitely room for improvement.

Highlights:
- Excellent location for the Hermitage and all of old St. Petersburg.
- Authentically historic hotel - Rasputin stayed here - that has been restored very tastefully, nothing overdone.
- Rooms facing the inner courtyard are very quiet
- All rooms seem quite large
- Nice amenity of fruit, chocolate and "champagnsky"
- Breakfast was quite the experience with a very diverse crowd including champagne-swilling Russians. Order some blinis, forget the french toast.

Negatives:
- Long walk to subway, so visiting outlying neighbourhoods/attractions is not that convenient
- Bedding felt cheap, bed itself was OK.
- Erratic service, including an unannounced "proactive" room change. Not fun when returning to your room at about 2AM and finding all your luggage and belongings are "missing"! Sobered me up quite fast... At least the 2nd room was quite a bit nicer.
- First room was quite dusty
- No true blackout curtains, a pet peeve of mine
- Some wear and tear in rooms and public areas
- Truly outrageous internet charge of something like EUR 50 per day

Would I return? If the price were right, yes. The Four Seasons is being built right around the corner, so hoping that it will increase the competitive pressure among luxury hotels in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.