Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai—Not so Ritzy (Long Post)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai—Not so Ritzy (Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai — (Long Post)

I checked into the Ritz-Carlton Shanghai on November 26 and just too many things went wrong. Now one hopes, and expects, that a stay at a luxury hotel (and I assume Ritz-Carlton considers itself to be in that class) to be flawless, but, of course sometimes, hopefully rarely, something will go wrong. Still one does not expect many things to go wrong at a Courtyard by Marriott, much less a Ritz-Carlton (and on the Club Floor at that!), and if things do go wrong that they will be resolved expeditiously and fairly. That, unfortunately, did not happen here. Even the follow-up did not seem to work.

On this trip, as further detailed below: (a) a light did not shut off in the room; (b) the speakerphone did not function properly; (c) the bed was not made up as requested; (d) the WiFi did not work properly in the lounge (and help was not provided); (e) there was no recognition of my birthday (at least initially); (f) the bed sagged; and (g) a wake-up call was missed.

Now, I stay in luxury hotels all over the world (from the Peninsula to the Mandarin Oriental to the St. Regis, to Leading Hotels of the World) very often and must say that I have never seen so many things go wrong, even at lesser hotels.

And what was I offered in compensation? “Free Internet” in my room. I am just amazed I was charged anything for this stay (which cost about $600).

(a) At around 3:00 a.m. of my arrival night I spent over 15 minutes trying to shut off the light above the TV unit that lights the vases. Finally (thinking something is wrong with me), I called the operator to ask how to shut off the light. She offered to send up an engineer. Not wanting someone in my room at that hour, as I was ready for bed, I declined for a little while longer and then gave up and called for help. A manager came up very quickly, soon followed by an engineer. The manager goes to shut off the light and guess what? It does not shut off. The engineer then goes behind the TV unit and move some plugs and finally the light shuts off and I could go to bed. The manager apologizes and leaves. How could this have gone wrong?

The next morning (which by the way was my birthday) did anyone apologize again for this disruption in getting to bed? NO. Not a word.

(b) I was very hot during the night (not the fault of the Ritz-Carlton) because of the down comforter, which did not have a separate sheet under it. I wanted a separate sheet and in the morning called housekeeping on the speakerphone. I barely heard the person who answered so I called again, and again and again. Soon (I must admit quickly) housekeeping knocked on my door and someone came in my room, ran to the phone and spoke to someone in Chinese for about five minutes while doing things to the phone. Anyway, he then left and I called back housekeeping (using the handset this time) and requested a separate sheet on the bed under the down comforter. I also mentioned, to make sure it was clear, that the speakerphone did not work properly. Anyway, as of check-out the next day, the speakerphone still did not work.

(c) That evening I come back to the room in the early evening and the sheet was there, but it was just left on the bedspread folded up. I assumed that it would be put on the bed when my bed was turned down and left for the evening. Anyway, I get back to the room around 1:00 a.m. and the bed was turned down but the sheet was still folded up so I wound up making my bed at 2:00 a.m. in a Ritz-Carlton!

(d) During the first evening, I tried to use the WiFi in the Club Lounge at around 1:00 a.m. It just did not seem to work (and I am very proficient with computers and got it to work easily at Newark airport and at Narita, as well as at the Hyatt in Shanghai soon thereafter). I was told that the WiFi does not always work well in the lounge. That should not be an excuse. Well, it was around 2:00 a.m. and after wasting a lot of time unsuccessfully trying to get it to work, I gave up and went back to the room to use the Internet, where, of course, I was charged for the Internet (which is really “nickel and diming” (or is that yuaning) for a Club Room). At least I was given that for free on check-out. Now, I understand not being offered tech support at 2:00 a.m., but in the morning no one apologized for the problem or offered to get help.

(e) As I mentioned, it was also my birthday and the hotel knew that as I had to present my passport on check-in and I believe both my passport number and birth date had to be written down. Not that the Ritz-Carlton has to do anything for my birthday, but even a Happy Birthday with a wake-up call or when going to the lounge seems like a bare minimum, especially at a purported luxury hotel. This is not a major complaint of mine (unlike the others set forth), but it is still surprising for a hotel like the Ritz-Carlton not to do or say anything.

Anyway, I had asked the concierge to make a restaurant reservation the night before and when I checked in the morning, the morning concierge said he had been unable to get through so far (it was a popular restaurant). Anyway, I am glad I followed up as he then called again and got me the reservation. I told him thank you and that is was important that I had gotten the reservation as it was my birthday. He did say “Happy Birthday” at that point, but no further mention of my birthday until check-out the next day.

For comparison, I not only received a birthday card in the mail in New York from someone in customer service at Continental Airlines’ ground staff in Hong Kong, but when I went to the Continental Airlines lounge at Newark, I was wished a happy birthday in advance (as I left for Shanghai). I asked how she knew my birthday was coming up and she said she saw it in my passport. Now, that is paying attention.

Further, after I left the Ritz-Carlton, I moved over to the Hyatt in Shanghai (as someone I was supposed to meet with has an office there and made a reservation for me). I had not wanted to spend my whole stay at the Hyatt, wanting a special weekend. Well, my stay at the Ritz-Carlton was special, but not in the way I expected. By way of comparison, at the Hyatt, it was immediately noticed that my birthday was the previous day and I was wished a “Happy Birthday” and was told that something would be sent to my room for my birthday—and this is not even a Park Hyatt!

____

AFTER, the foregoing took place, I felt too much had gone wrong that had not been rectified, so at 2:00 a.m. in the morning, I wrote a letter to the manager, which I then left with the concierge in the lounge.

____

(f) I go to bed and have trouble sleeping. I guess I was so tired the night before that I did not notice that the bed sagged. I left a note on the bed before I checked out saying “Bed Sags” which I left in a portion of the bed that just, well, sagged, so the message sloped down the bed. Really, I would expect even better at a Courtyard.

(g) The next morning I did not receive my wake-up call. Luckily, I did not have to catch a plane and I woke up on my own anyway just in time for breakfast in the lounge. (By the way the food in the lounge was fine. That was one of the reasons I stayed on the Club Floor.)

____

I left the hotel to go for my run and came back to the room mid-afternoon (I had late check-out) and had a message that the manager would see me on check-out. I go to check out at the lounge and started to comment on my stay. The Club Manager shows up soon thereafter and I must say apologized profusely and gave me a grand send-off with a promise that the “next time” things would be better. Not only do I not know when I will be in Shanghai next, does that property (or does any Ritz-Carlton, if this stay is representative of a decline in service) really deserve a next time?

I was offered a car to the airport and a snack for the plane (well, as I said I was only going across the river to the Hyatt), but the gesture was appreciated. I was also given a Ritz-Carlton Polo shirt, which was also a nice gesture, but as someone that I told the story to said, why would I want to advertise the hotel. I also received “free internet” as compensation for all that went wrong. Now, really, that seems totally inadequate for all that went wrong. I am just amazed the hotel had the nerve to charge me anything at all. As the send-off was so nice and I really was not in the mood to argue over the bill, I just left without an argument.

In addition, a couple of other things were not up to luxury standards and these are general comments: (i) the waits for the elevators were way too long--perhaps the Club Floors should have an express; and (ii) the service in the Club Lounge, although very gracious, was very slow--I attribute this to inadequate staffing.

As an epilogue, after I got back, I got a call from the Gallup Organization asking me about my stay. I thought to myself, wow, even though so many things went wrong, at least Ritz-Carlton is checking up. I specifically asked if my comments (as set forth above) would be sent back to management with my name included and was told that it would. I have expected a call or letter from Ritz-Carlton apologizing and making amends. Well, it has been three weeks and no follow-through.

I am now going to send a letter to the CEO of Ritz-Carlton and will see what happens.

I realize this is a long post, but so, so much went wrong.

Should I have been charged anything at all for this stay? How should the Portman Ritz-Carlton or the Ritz-Carlton chain make amends?

Last edited by Nevsky; Dec 30, 2004 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:58 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I think the problem may be that though lots of little things add up - when you complain about soooo many things people tend to not hear anymore. ( A term I have heard applied to this in another context is "wife deaf" ). Did you really complain about them not recognizing it was your birthday?

I am planning on staying in this hotel in Feb - I hope I dont have the same issues as you

Personally I probably would have written a short letter complaining about the bed. ( of course all Marriot beds suck )
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:55 am

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Shanghai and found it to be increadible. The 30 story lobby is a must see. Rooms and service were perfect.

The Ritz in Singapore was very comfortable and very well managed but did have a Marriott feel to it.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Epilogue.

Shortly after sending a letter to the CEO of Ritz-Carlton, I received an email from the manager of The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai and a further apology. In addition, I was told that all charges have been rebated, they have addressed the issues raised in my letter and that they look forward to my visiting the property again for a much better experience.

I look forward to visiting Shanghai again and to a much better stay there, as I am sure (and hope) my experiences were an aberration.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 1:23 pm

I stayed in this hotel years ago. It was underwhelmed then and looks like it has not improved since.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree on RC Shanghai

I have to agree, unfortunately about the Ritz Carlton Shangahi. The hotel has the best location in the city- and thus they do not seem to need to worry in order to stay at 100% occupancy. On a stay in August of this year I was led to a floor under construction- and when I mentioned this might be distracting for me as I was working long hours- they told me not to worry as it would be finished in a couple of days. I was eventually moved, but only after asking twice to speak with a duty manager. The F and B service is really variable- in the Japanese restaurant service was very attentive- in other venues actually quite a disaster.
This hotel used to be the shining star of Shanghai- but seems to have continually declined- I would recommend either the FS Shanghai or the Pudong Shangri-La- depending on what your plans are in Shanghai in terms of work/pleasure.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:25 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Ritz Carlton Shanghai

Hi,

Staying there currently and I noticed FT's AA forum among the favourites and lots of FT threads having been accessed using the club lounge computer.

The hotel is on top of a big construction site. I hear the pneumatic drills, was quite shocked by the ancient room interior, low ceiling and the lack of bathroom cleanliness.

Would like to move. Which hotel would you recommend in Shanghai?

I like modern rooms. Is the Grand Hyatt the only option? it is far from the area I work at...
at the grand hyatt, do I have to go for a river view room?
is the view and modern room worth changing hotels?

I am open to your suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
I noticed FT's AA forum among the favourites and lots of FT threads having been accessed using the club lounge computer.

club @ le meridien
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755740
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=644038

IIRC bearbrick was one of the le meridien fans, but made positive comments about jia as well.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 17, 2008 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:29 am

http://www.jiashanghai.com/web/Home/eng/

^
Old Mar 17, 2008, 8:25 am

the thing about Jia is that its a boutique , design ,hip , funky , with it ...you know what i mean....type of hotel......no poool ...good enough gym ...technogyms ...latest off the wall equipt.....small, intimate ....hotel.

rooms can be on the small side for some......unless you go for the suites....but the studio room i stayed in had a little pantry .....

low ceiling too........

in the vcinity would be the four seaons .....
but the royal meridien would be the better choice in the area.

recently stayed at the hyatt on the bund which is a grad hyatt category hotel .....its far ...but do try out the top floor restaurants and bars...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:10 pm

Yeah, construction at the portman has created some problems.

I would suggest:
If your work is in Puxi: Westin Hotel, JW Marriot, Four Seasons in that order
Hyatt on the Bund at the North Bund is nice but as mentioned far, you must try the Chinese restaurant Xindalu on the first floor if you end up there.
If in Pudong: Shangri-la Hotel
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:26 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
The RC Shanghai management handled the situation graciously and I will return. I moved to the Grand Hyatt in the Jin Mao tower for the view.
Too busy and the rooms with old TVs and somewhat outdated contemporary style.
Nothing beats the FS HK!!!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
The RC Shanghai management handled the situation graciously and I will return. I moved to the Grand Hyatt in the Jin Mao tower for the view.
Too busy and the rooms with old TVs and somewhat outdated contemporary style.
Nothing beats the FS HK!!!

You must be joking.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs down Absolute, total DUMP

I have never been more disappointed in a luxury hotel than I was at the Portman Ritz-Carlton in Shanghai at a recent stay.

At a silent auction, a friend of mine successfully bid on four nights in an Executive Suite on the club floor at this property. I was a bit concerned after reading the threads here on FT but thought to myself, "It's a Ritz-Carlton; I've never had anything but great experiences at Ritz properties, so I'm sure it will be fine." Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. I could not have been more wrong.

Walking in the front door set the tone for the stay. There was an immediate, very strong stale smell of mildew. I truly could not believe it. It never went away.

We were checked in at the Executive Floor lounge, which was the nicest part of the experience (other than the rock tiles, which had been applied to the wall with duct tape, falling off the fireplace wall around me during breakfast one morning). We had requested a suite with two beds, which they could not accommodate, but it was a two-room suite, with a separate living room, so we asked for a rollaway bed instead. They accommodated that request -- for $50 per night.

The suite, in style and furnishings, reminded me of the luxury hotels in the major Chinese cities in the early 1990s. Dated, waaaaaaay too much gold, cheesy-ornate. In reality, the suite was fine. It was large in the bedroom, with a lot of wasted space. The shower in the bathroom had the worst water pressure I've experienced in a hotel, of any level, in many years.

The Ritz Bar was the biggest surprise to me. I expected the clubby, dark, wood finished bar experience I've had at Ritz hotels all of the world. Not so much. Think poor, cheesy rip-off of a swanky W Hotel bar meets erotic dancing locale. Just bizarre in every respect. If I had been dropped into this room without any idea of where I was, not in a million years would I guess that it was the 'signature' bar of a Ritz-Carlton.

The 'spa' was a complete and utter joke. The pool was filled with nothing but screaming kids. Seemed like a Cleveland water park in the middle of summer. There was no attendant. The refrigerator labeled as containing cold towels and towels had neither. And that smell -- while it permeated most of the hotel, it was strongest here. Nauseating.

Even the service at the property was lame. Easily 90+% of the guests we saw were either American or European, virtually all speaking English. At the taxi line, out in the front, we asked for "Three on the Bund." Hard to imagine a more requested address in Shanghai than "X-number on the Bund." The majority of the people in the line were going to that same area. The man had no idea what we were saying. We tried several times. He asked to see it in writing, which we didn't have. (It didn't even occur to us that the person in charge of the taxi line at a Ritz-Carlton would not be able to understand us.) Finally, a bi-lingual lady behind us said it in Chinese for us, so we were in the cab and off. Dumbfounding.

Having come to Shanghai from the Park Hyatt in Tokyo, after two nights at this R-C, we decided we'd had enough. We walked away. I booked us into the Park Hyatt Shanghai and called there to have them send a car for us. That was an interesting experience. Checking out of a paid-for suite at the Ritz two days early, with a Park Hyatt car waiting for us out front. Not surprisingly, no one asked why we were leaving two days early, obviously headed to the Park Hyatt. In spite of the increased cost, we never regretted the move for a second.

There is a new Ritz-Carlton that is nearly complete on the other side of the river, behind the Shangri-La and next to a new W Hotel also under construction. I suspect the chain is milking the remaining days of this property and will turn it into a low-end Marriott, or spin it off into another chain once the new hotel is open. It can't happen fast enough.

Portman Ritz-Carlton: Just say no.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
....the rock tiles, which had been applied to the wall with duct tape, falling off the fireplace wall around me during breakfast one morning....

...I booked us into the Park Hyatt Shanghai and called there to have them send a car for us. That was an interesting experience. Checking out of a paid-for suite at the Ritz two days early, with a Park Hyatt car waiting for us out front. Not surprisingly, no one asked why we were leaving two days early, obviously headed to the Park Hyatt.
Very smart, cutting short such a bad stay.

I am dumbfounded as to all aspects of the stay, from the physical property to the service. And to charge $50 for a rollaway in a suite which failed to have the two beds you requested? Incredible.

I hope the Park Hyatt an improvement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.