Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hubertus
While reading the gossip (in the other Aman thread) about King Zecha to take over a sci-fi resort in Brasil I was thinking that, although I do like modern projects like Amanwella or Nizuc, I am quite sure that places like Amanjiwo or Amankila or Amanbagh (which are more tuned on local architecture, textiles, stones...) will stand the change of fashions much better.
The so called "design hotels" may be cooler but they can be sometimes disappointing if they look the same no matter if they are in Berlin or Bangkok and they risk to age too fast (I have read that Philippe Stark's Royalton has been entirely redesigned by another architect).

Now, do you personally prefer the classical Ed Tuttle's Amans or those more contemporary/minimalistic like Amanyara, Amanwella or Amangiri?
Call me "old-fashioned" , but I prefer the more classic Aman designs like those by Ed Tuttle and Kerry Hill that are based heavily on the native surroundings and culture.

Amankila by Ed Tuttle is probably my favorite Aman design-wise overall. His use of the thatched roofs and elevated walkways blends effortlessly in the local surroundings, and is just stunning to look at and walk around in.

I also love the whole look and presence of Amanjiwo. His circular designs are a wonderful complement to the Borobodur. You really do feel a connection to the monument through the architecture of the resort.

I also love the stone walls and the "Balinese village" feel of Kerry Hill's Amanusa. I love how the wall next to pool resembles a fort, and how each suite is set-up to be like a village house and the walkways as streets.

In terms of interiors, my favorite would be Ed Tuttle's Amanpuri, particularly the villas. The villas there are so spacious and grand, it's stunning. The way that each "room" of the villa is a separate building, similar to traditional Thai houses (only so much grander!) and particularly the lowered living rooms I found to be incredible.

Overall, I find these "classic" Amans to have a sense of magic when you're there. Somehow they have a very timeless quality to them, perhaps because they combine modern design touches with nods to history and the surroundings.

I admit I haven't stayed at any of the "more contemporary/minimalistic" Amans, but looking at the photos, there does seem to be some of that "magic" missing, particularly with the interiors. As been pointed out, the danger of following trends is that the designs can be rendered dated fairly quickly.

For example, the "designer" free-standing bathtubs at Amanwella looked interesting a few years ago, but now I see them in a lot of different hotels everywhere.

The bedroom designs of Amanwella and Amanyara both look similar, and they don't offer any clues of their locations. They could be in from Tokyo to Milan.

That isn't to say I don't like the designs or I wouldn't stay at these resorts. But to address the poll questions, I just feel they aren't as "timeless" as the "classic" Aman resorts, and I do feel they will be "out-dated" sooner rather than later while the "classic" Amans will remain "timeless" for years to come.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:44 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I prefer classic, local materials, local design elements, etc. Just my personal taste.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:20 pm

Aman pictures

I posted this link in another thread but since most of the pictures are of Amans I thought I might as well post it here, includes Amanjiwo, Amankila, Amansara, Amanusa and Amanjena.

http://flickr.com/photos/63496223@N00/
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by opxzaw
I posted this link in another thread but since most of the pictures are of Amans I thought I might as well post it here, includes Amanjiwo, Amankila, Amansara, Amanusa and Amanjena.

http://flickr.com/photos/63496223@N00/
Great photos! The Amanjena pool looks unreal. ^
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:19 pm

Great photos OPXZAW.
So many flashbacks!
I also like the look of some places I havent visited yet.
The Bale and Samaya both look great.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:37 am

Aman Indonesia

I just stayed in all the Indonesian Amans for the umpteenth time - Amanusa, Amankila, Amandari (yes, it just re-opened and looks like it did 20 years ago, but with a couple of tiny additions), Amanwana (better than ever) and the glorious Amanjiwo. All these resorts looks as though they could have been conceived yesterday as they are all so relevant, yet Amandari is 20 this year and Amankila, 18. How many hotel groups even understand this level of inspiration?
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I just stayed in all the Indonesian Amans for the umpteenth time - Amanusa, Amankila, Amandari (yes, it just re-opened and looks like it did 20 years ago, but with a couple of tiny additions), Amanwana (better than ever) and the glorious Amanjiwo. All these resorts looks as though they could have been conceived yesterday as they are all so relevant, yet Amandari is 20 this year and Amankila, 18. How many hotel groups even understand this level of inspiration?

Any new additions that you took particular notice of VUITTONSOFSTYLE ?
As its such a small resort, I would really like to hear of any developments at Amanwana.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by paul2
Any new additions that you took particular notice of VUITTONSOFSTYLE ?
As its such a small resort, I would really like to hear of any developments at Amanwana.
Depends when you were last there at Amanwana - it has been a while for me, so I saw a lot of changes - all positive - from the jungle spa to the various pavilions (arrival/Music) built across the island and the enlarged shop, which is really well stocked. The food is much improved, too. As it's rainy season, we arrived on the other jetty at the jungle spa end of the island, as at this time of year the wind changes direction.

At Amandari they extended the library and re-did all the paths. It's looking very fresh now.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:27 am

Has anyone seen the new facilities described in Amanpuri website (new gym, beach club with pool and japanese restaurant)?
see:
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanpuri/news.aspx
and pages 9 and 10 of:
http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedF...i/Amanpuri.pdf
Is the new restaurant at the location formerly occupied by the gym?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 2:20 am

Amanpuri - new additions

Originally Posted by Hubertus
Has anyone seen the new facilities described in Amanpuri website (new gym, beach club with pool and japanese restaurant)?
see:
http://www.amanresorts.com/amanpuri/news.aspx
and pages 9 and 10 of:
http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedF...i/Amanpuri.pdf
Is the new restaurant at the location formerly occupied by the gym?
Yes, I saw all that last year. They bought the piece of land next to the beach cafe and built a second pool and bar, high up (very chic and popular with trendy teens) and the Japanese restaurant, which is open-sided and off the beach, just down from the new pool. It is not where the gym was, but is on the new land.

The new fitness pavilion is 2-storey and is built on the bluff, quite a long way to the left of the spa. It is HUGE and has incredible views of the bay.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I saw all that last year. They bought the piece of land next to the beach cafe and built a second pool and bar, high up (very chic and popular with trendy teens) and the Japanese restaurant, which is open-sided and off the beach, just down from the new pool. It is not where the gym was, but is on the new land.

The new fitness pavilion is 2-storey and is built on the bluff, quite a long way to the left of the spa. It is HUGE and has incredible views of the bay.
Thanks for the update- I have not been to this hotel in many years- have they also built any new rooms or just updated/rennovated? The website seems to have very little information actually.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:30 am

Thank you Vuittonsofstyle. Sounds very cool.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thanks for the update- I have not been to this hotel in many years- have they also built any new rooms or just updated/rennovated? The website seems to have very little information actually.
They have started renovating the pavilions, but not well, I think. They have extended the bathroom by about 3 feet, so that there is more light behind the bathtub and they have also added a strange luggage rack on the left, and added a small safe. This is meant to convert into a kid's bunk bed - really weird. Ultimately, they are going to have to knock a few pavilions down and start again, as they are showing their age, especially whern you compare them to Trisara!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have started renovating the pavilions, but not well, I think. They have extended the bathroom by about 3 feet, so that there is more light behind the bathtub and they have also added a strange luggage rack on the left, and added a small safe. This is meant to convert into a kid's bunk bed - really weird. Ultimately, they are going to have to knock a few pavilions down and start again, as they are showing their age, especially whern you compare them to Trisara!
Thanks for the update vuitonsofstyle!
Leave it to the FTers to have THE most up to date information anywhere.
Would you say the Trisara is worth a visit now??
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Thanks for the update vuitonsofstyle!
Leave it to the FTers to have THE most up to date information anywhere.
Would you say the Trisara is worth a visit now??
Oh, Trisara is my favourite!! It is one of the best resorts in the world and the ocean front pool villas are so well designed that you feel the room is reading your mind. The food here is exceptional.

They just did a new interior restaurant and made a new bar deck - constantly upgrading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.