FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:26 pm
Amanjunkie

Originally Posted by Hubertus
While reading the gossip (in the other Aman thread) about King Zecha to take over a sci-fi resort in Brasil I was thinking that, although I do like modern projects like Amanwella or Nizuc, I am quite sure that places like Amanjiwo or Amankila or Amanbagh (which are more tuned on local architecture, textiles, stones...) will stand the change of fashions much better.
The so called "design hotels" may be cooler but they can be sometimes disappointing if they look the same no matter if they are in Berlin or Bangkok and they risk to age too fast (I have read that Philippe Stark's Royalton has been entirely redesigned by another architect).

Now, do you personally prefer the classical Ed Tuttle's Amans or those more contemporary/minimalistic like Amanyara, Amanwella or Amangiri?
Call me "old-fashioned" , but I prefer the more classic Aman designs like those by Ed Tuttle and Kerry Hill that are based heavily on the native surroundings and culture.

Amankila by Ed Tuttle is probably my favorite Aman design-wise overall. His use of the thatched roofs and elevated walkways blends effortlessly in the local surroundings, and is just stunning to look at and walk around in.

I also love the whole look and presence of Amanjiwo. His circular designs are a wonderful complement to the Borobodur. You really do feel a connection to the monument through the architecture of the resort.

I also love the stone walls and the "Balinese village" feel of Kerry Hill's Amanusa. I love how the wall next to pool resembles a fort, and how each suite is set-up to be like a village house and the walkways as streets.

In terms of interiors, my favorite would be Ed Tuttle's Amanpuri, particularly the villas. The villas there are so spacious and grand, it's stunning. The way that each "room" of the villa is a separate building, similar to traditional Thai houses (only so much grander!) and particularly the lowered living rooms I found to be incredible.

Overall, I find these "classic" Amans to have a sense of magic when you're there. Somehow they have a very timeless quality to them, perhaps because they combine modern design touches with nods to history and the surroundings.

I admit I haven't stayed at any of the "more contemporary/minimalistic" Amans, but looking at the photos, there does seem to be some of that "magic" missing, particularly with the interiors. As been pointed out, the danger of following trends is that the designs can be rendered dated fairly quickly.

For example, the "designer" free-standing bathtubs at Amanwella looked interesting a few years ago, but now I see them in a lot of different hotels everywhere.

The bedroom designs of Amanwella and Amanyara both look similar, and they don't offer any clues of their locations. They could be in from Tokyo to Milan.

That isn't to say I don't like the designs or I wouldn't stay at these resorts. But to address the poll questions, I just feel they aren't as "timeless" as the "classic" Aman resorts, and I do feel they will be "out-dated" sooner rather than later while the "classic" Amans will remain "timeless" for years to come.