Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels. What more would I *really* get??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels. What more would I *really* get??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2002, 9:04 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
obscure2K wrote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">When the Hemingway Suite at the Gritti in Venice was no longer financially practical ... </font>

and

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I am not a fan of "hotel frequent guest programs". When you peruse the Starwood,Hilton, Marriott,Hyatt,etc. boards, it would appear that so many posters are looking for upgrades to suites, lounge access, etc. that they are denying themselves access to some hotels which do not participate in frequent guest programs,</font>
You might want to reconsider your thoughts on frequent guest programs. If you joined Starwood's, you might just find yourself staying for free in the Hemingway Suite at the Gritti, one of Starwood's many incredible properties in Europe.

Old Aug 15, 2002, 10:13 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Quote: "You might want to reconsider your thoughts on frequent guest programs. If you joined Starwood's, you might just find yourself staying for free in the Hemingway Suite at the Gritti, one of Starwood's many incredible properties in Europe."

--I am a member of Starwood and their frequent guest program is good in Europe. However, IMHO, there are often times when I can find a small luxury hotel with better amenities at a lower price--instead of paying a higher price at a Starwood in exchange for a potential free or upgraded room at some future date--
Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a tough decision - whether or not to go with the frequent guest program hotel.

When I stay at a hotle without a frequent guest program, I usually feel more of a need to reserve a better room because there isn't much upgrade possibility. That usually ends up costing me more money, but I'm usually very happy with what I get.

If I go with the frequent guest program I *may* get an upgrade, but there are no guarantees. On top of that, the rooms or service at the alternate (non-frequent guest program) hotel are probably superior, so even a smaller room there would probably make me happier.

There's really no absolute answer to this question, if you ask me.

d
Old Aug 17, 2002, 7:37 am

Out of curiosity, how demanding are you all at a lux hotel, and what do you do when your expectations are not met?

If you do give a stack of papers to the appropriate people, and they don't end up at your office on time (clearly due to them not sending them on time), then how do you handle things like that? I ask because I find myself being a lot more particular in the very few times I have been able to save for a nicer hotel, and I don't have enough experience to be able to see the fine line between "worth it" and "not worth it".

Just a developing opinion, but I miss my local hotels, and I think I will go back. I seem to have less issues with them, I generally get what I pay for, and the room and the ambiance for me are the most important. I think that's why i am asking the first question....unrealistic expectations. I am curious what others feel are realistic expecations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.