Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels. What more would I *really* get??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels. What more would I *really* get??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2002, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
Quote:"Is there any way to make luxury hotel stays more affordable??? "
A couple of suggestions:
Try to travel during the "off season."
</font>
And the service and ambiance is actually better during the off-season (less crowded = better experience). Not often that you pay less for a superior product....of course there often is a reason for the off-season (this may or may not be important to you). For example the Vienna hotel rates correspond to the opera season and are lowest in the summer. This varies by city in Europe (a lot). In Hong Kong the peak rates correspond to trade shows and a day's difference in date can cut the cost in half (or double it).

Old Jul 27, 2002, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Quote:"Well, not to belabor the obvious, but....
check out the FlyerTalk Miles forums for the hotel frequent guest programs."

With all due respect to Kathy W., I am not a fan of "hotel frequent guest programs". When you peruse the Starwood,Hilton, Marriott,Hyatt,etc. boards, it would appear that so many posters are looking for upgrades to suites, lounge access, etc. that they are denying themselves access to some hotels which do not participate in frequent guest programs, thus the traveler too often focuses on the perquisites . Perhaps, one could stay in a minimum rate room at the Bristol in Paris with no chance of an upgrade or "points." The alternative might be staying at the Paris Hilton, getting upgraded to a suite and gaining points. Personally, I would opt for the minimum-rate room at the Bristol, with the dignified concierge, pillow-topped beds, roof-top pool and charming cage-elevator.. It, truly, saddens me that so many are so focused on points and miles that they miss some of the local luxury gems which they could have for about the same price. The luxury gems are out there--it just takes a bit of homework to find them.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
It, truly, saddens me that so many are so focused on points and miles that they miss some of the local luxury gems which they could have for about the same price.</font>
Ditto. And also, most of the time room rates are padded so that the cost of those miles and points are included. No such thing as a free lunch.
Old Jul 28, 2002, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Yes, there is a free lunch.

The question asked was how to make luxury hotel stays "more affordable."

One solution is, assuming that you use credit cards anyway, to use a credit card that earns you free stays (such as the Starwood Amex).

True, you may miss some gems of hotels that don't participate in frequent guest programs, but you definitely make luxury stays "more affordable!"

Kathy
Old Jul 28, 2002, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

And lets not forget that in some places (especially in Asia) the US chain hotels are some of the best in the land (the PHT and the Grand Hyatt HK come to mind). Thus, if you stay at the DFW Hyatt enough times, you can treat yourself for free at some fine places. Of course, by the time you've stayed athe DFW Hyatt that many times, you are going to NEED that treat.
Old Jul 29, 2002, 4:28 am

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
Really appreciate all the tips on ways to actualize my penchant for luxury hotels. Have been planning a weekend at the St. Regis in L.A. for a while. Will check into some of the things mentioned in your posts, i.e. off-season stays, membership programs (although they probably require more frequent stays, I imagine). Meanwhile, really enjoy reading about all your experiences and thoughts on the luxury experience!

Old Jul 29, 2002, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kelly786:
Will check into some of the things mentioned in your posts, i.e. off-season stays, membership programs (although they probably require more frequent stays, I imagine).</font>
Correction....This is something I cannot emphasize enough....Using Starwood or Hilton once again as an example,

YOU DON'T EVER NEED TO SET FOOT IN A HOTEL TO EARN FREE NIGHTS AT THAT HOTEL CHAIN!

Just using a Starwood or Hilton Amex for ordinary non-hotel expenses, you can earn points in the respective guest program. These points can in turn be redeemed for free stays at virtually all of the properties in the chain, including the high-end ones (which of course cost you more points per night).

Kathy

Old Jul 31, 2002, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jsmeeker:
So, really, what is the score? To me, it semms better to stay at a moderate place where they actually know me by name and take care of me, then go into a very high end hotel as a nobody (non- big time CEO, non celebrity) and get treated like a nobody.

Is it *really* worth it? I just can't see how much better a $300-400 per night room has over a $180 per night room.
</font>
Well, if you're really staying at a luxury hotel, they treat everyone like a CEO or celebrity. Service at real luxury hotels (not ones that pretend to be) blows away the service at other hotels. The staff is just looking for ways to help you out or make your stay more pleasent.

On top of that, the rooms are much nicer. I appreciate lush carpets, fine linens, comfortable beds, duvets, marble bathrooms, high quality furniture, fine bathroom amenities, and so on. That's worth extra money to me.

It's a personal choice. Some people aren't discerning enough or don't care about the differences between two vastly different hotels in terms of service and quality. I'm detail oriented; I notice the differences.

If you don't or they aren't worth more money, don't pay for them.

d
Old Jul 31, 2002, 7:18 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:

Just using a Starwood or Hilton Amex for ordinary non-hotel expenses, you can earn points in the respective guest program. These points can in turn be redeemed for free stays at virtually all of the properties in the chain, including the high-end ones (which of course cost you more points per night).

Kathy

[/B]</font>
Kathy

Just applied and got approved for American Express Starwood Platinum. Thanks for tips and info. Let's see how it goes!

Maybe we'll run into each other at the Palace in SF if I earn enough points!
Old Jul 31, 2002, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're welcome.

Kathy
Old Aug 9, 2002, 9:58 pm

There has been more discussion about this issue on the FT travel Hotel,etc. forum--"ask me a hotel question?" topic has been very informative and very active. A good learning experience for all--and a Poster who is willing to share his 5-star managerial experience with the rest of the FT community.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 5:12 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I've stayed in luxury hotels only on business- my professional society schedules many meetings in them although, as I noted on the other thread, I now look for alternatives.

When I stay in a place I define as top-of-the-line (I know even more luxurious alternatives exist), I tend to get picky. A few years ago I noticed the brown-edged lettuce in a salad at the Palmer House (now a Hilton) in Chicago and got annoyed at the bellhop at the Boca Raton Resort who accidentally delivered a bag of mine to a colleague's room and was indifferent about retrieving it. (The colleague and I eventually met up and I got my bag.) On the other hand, when I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Lewisville, TX I learned to check the night before to see if the maid remembered to replenish the coffee supply and get more from the desk if she hadn't. At $59/night, no big deal.

I do like the Heavenly Beds at the W, the shampoo at the Boca Raton Resort, the fuzzy bathrobes and other niceties of the luxury places, but they dont' pass the test of "would I spend my own money on this?" Whether I'm on business or on my own, I don't do much in the hotel room except sleep.

Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:53 pm

--back to the original question: Quote"
Luxury hotels. What more would I *really* get?? "
Isn't this a bit analagous to the difference between flying economy class and business/first? Granted, the same flight will take it's passengers to their destination--it ultimately comes down to comfort and service and what one is willing to pay.--
Old Aug 13, 2002, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
--back to the original question: Quote"
Luxury hotels. What more would I *really* get?? "
Isn't this a bit analagous to the difference between flying economy class and business/first? Granted, the same flight will take it's passengers to their destination--it ultimately comes down to comfort and service and what one is willing to pay.--
</font>
True... But where do you draw the line at "Luxury Hotel"? What chains are Luxury and which are not? Obviously, there is a difference between a Four-Seasons and a Marriot Courtyard, but what about hotels nicer than a courtyard??

Say, a Sofitel and a Four-Seasons... Is the Sofitel "coach"?? I certainly would not say it is, but I don't know if it is considered "Luxury"
Old Aug 13, 2002, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And complicating the issue further is the fact that even within the same hotel (luxury or otherwise), some of the rooms can be great (4 or 5 star caliber) while others might be truly awful. This seems to be especially true for older hotels.

And the same could be true for the service in the same hotel. It could be attentive, courteous, respectful, or cold, dismissive, snobbish.

Kathy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.