Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii — Yay or Nay or Sort-of or Kinda or Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SP03
You are not just talking about luxury hotels in Hawaii. You are making offensive statements about the island.

You are calling it “an exotic, Hollywood locale” and “hallowed tourist destination” whose appeals is in its “exoticism.”
Yes, that is how the islands are marketed to the mainland. And, yes, my post is intended to prompt discussion about Hawaii as a luxury destination.
HaleiwaFlyer and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve yet to find a place with so much to offer as Hawaii for a tropical vacation which is why I usually go once or twice a year. Whether I’m flying in from East Asia or the west coast it’s not too bad of a flight and when I get off the plane I’m in the American culture I grew up in albeit with some slight twists. I enjoy a few days in Waikiki eating and chain restaurants we don’t have in Asia and watching the preening and posing on the beach. Then I’m off to another island for some of the best beaches and nature one could hope for anywhere in the world, all with the chill Hawaiian vibe as the backdrop.

Of course, nowadays you’re paying luxury prices for non luxury hotels but that’s the cost I have to eat if I want to enjoy the entire island experience on Hawaii. A recent stay at the Mauna Kea was more expensive than Soneva Kiri and certainly not as nice a hotel experience, but I’m still returning to the MK on a yearly basis just because it has the vibe I like, a beach that’s hard to beat and a Foodland 10 minutes down the road.
KatW, obscure2k, Mickidon and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
You are not just talking about luxury hotels in Hawaii. You are making offensive statements about the island.

You are calling it “an exotic, Hollywood locale” and “hallowed tourist destination” whose appeals is in its “exoticism.”
Statements that you disagree with are not "offensive". This is a tolerant site where we discuss different perspectives.

If you don't respect different opinions then you have no place on this site
toadman, BLV, Satie and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
. Hawaii, however exotic, is still the U.S.,
You got it in a nutshell. Anyone here been to Pago Pago or Guam? Same thing, importing a junk food culture and ethic into somewhere that should, could, be paradise. The French have largely avoided this in their three Pacific territories. Fiji caters mostly to mass market Aussies and Kiwis but, like Papeete in French Polynesia (less so Noumea) has avoided the excesses, high-rises and mega-resorts that scar Hawaii. That said, Hawaii remains staggeringly beautiful and its isolation has resulted in a unique fauna and flora as well as a vitally important geological environment.

One of the things I adore about the Pacific are the places that still seem laid-back and natural - Samoa and the Cook Islands, which have a reasonable standard of accommodation, and Vanuatu and the Solomons which don't. Somehow genuine luxury, snappy service etc, seems oddly out of place here.
KatW likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Mar 2, 2024 at 11:44 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Maui resident here so I'm probably biased one way or another. Waikiki? It's basically a slightly dirtier version of Cleveland but with an ocean. Kauai, Big Island, Maui and parts of Oahu outside of Waikiki.? A whole other thing that shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same breath as Waikiki. We can all argue round and round about whether or not Hawaii is worth it. There are entire (really long) threads dedicated to the subject. At the end of the day people vote with their dollars and plenty keep "voting" each year and Hawaii will survive with or without the naysayers. I'd just encourage people to decide what "Hawaii" they want to see. Cleveland with an ocean? You've been warned. All other parts? Enjoy!!
KatW, Smiley90, gudugan and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:10 am
O62

Originally Posted by Pausanias
...avoided the excesses, high-rises and mega-resorts that scar Hawaii.

I disagree here. No doubt that there are pockets of large scale development, but I find if you look at the whole of Hawai'i's vast coastline, you'll find that the vast majority is unadorned or sparsely developed at all. Even when there is large scale development, it often only extends 6-10 miles inland, leaving the interiors of the island nearly untouched. Even on O'ahu nearly the entire northern half is devoid of even medium scale settlements.

As far as luxury - you can have wonderful experiences in any of the islands. Sure there are no ultra-luxury hotels or boutique eco resorts, but you must remember that most of Hawaii's development and growth happened years ago. The advent of ultra luxurious, hyper-modern resorts is fairly new, but the island has tried to curb new giant developments, and rightfully so, so you aren't seeing a bunch of new ground-up developments or teardowns and rebuilds. If that keeps people away from Hawai'i, then so be it. I love each and every island and am happy to return each year.
KatW and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Non-American here, so not a primary target for Hawaii. I have an inexplicable fascination with all of the Polynesian islands in the Pacific which includes Hawaii, but I always find what’s become of Hawaii the saddest of all colonial tales. Israel Kamakawiwo’loe’s haunting song Hawaii ‘78 captures my feelings of being on many of the islands, obviously the busy parts of Oahu most of all. Perhaps it shouldn’t be relevant, but knowing the cost of development to local society does colour my ability to enjoy a privileged experience when on the islands.

There is still undeniably magic for the visiting tourist on Hawaii, but the luxury hotels that I’ve seen suffer from inflated pricing and large U.S. chain resort style configurations which don’t do anything for me. I’d much rather be somewhere like le Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas than a 300-key Four Seasons with a Jean-Georges restaurant and a Louis Vuitton store.
Pausanias likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:04 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Favorite hotels/resorts? Please cite.

We loved the (then) Manele Bay and Koele on Lanai — but that was before Ellison bought most of the island. Loved too the old Hana Maui 30 years ago. Tried FS Hualalai in 1998, even then it was Kid Central and service was middling to less. Halekulani was over-priced for what was delivered but that coconut cake! And their al fresco Hula show, I can say that, right?.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Non-American here, so not a primary target for Hawaii. I have an inexplicable fascination with all of the Polynesian islands in the Pacific which includes Hawaii, but I always find what’s become of Hawaii the saddest of all colonial tales. Israel Kamakawiwo’loe’s haunting song Hawaii ‘78 captures my feelings of being on many of the islands, obviously the busy parts of Oahu most of all. Perhaps it shouldn’t be relevant, but knowing the cost of development to local society does colour my ability to enjoy a privileged experience when on the islands.

There is still undeniably magic for the visiting tourist on Hawaii, but the luxury hotels that I’ve seen suffer from inflated pricing and large U.S. chain resort style configurations which don’t do anything for me. I’d much rather be somewhere like le Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas than a 300-key Four Seasons with a Jean-Georges restaurant and a Louis Vuitton store.
Never been but heard it's very very popular with Japanese/Korean tourists and they primarily stay in Honolulu...

I could never understand this
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:08 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
So are you thinking about going, Kat?
I’m a US resident and I waited 50 years before going. I carefully selected my destinations in order to get more nature and less Waikiki. I had a great time. The Napali Coast was a bucket list item and I have no regrets. It doesn’t hurt that I love coconut, vanilla, banana bread, jasmine…
There are non stop flights that would get you to your chosen island easily.
You might like the FS Hualali in a beachfront room (I can give you the exact room number). The turtles on the beach will be right outside your door with a lovely private lanai. I have the trip report out there somewhere with pictures.

Last edited by Ericka; Mar 4, 2024 at 2:44 pm
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Honolulu is worth visiting purely to go the Pearl Harbour museum, which I found fascinating. Intra-island flights are cheap, fast and numerous, so combining them with another, more... let's say "preserved" island for actual Hawaiian experiences is easy. I think when we say "Hawaii", we should clearly distinguish between Oahu and any other islands, the experience is very different. I also wouldn't be surprised if US-based travelers had very different impressions and praise for Hawaii from non-US based travelers - Hawaii is the closest true "exotic", "authentic" destination with a very different flora, fauna and geography to the US (no disrespect to the Caribbean, where some of those can also be found), and it thus holds a special place to US-travelers, especially since you don't need a passport to get there.

If you're based in Asia or Australia, you have many more of those closeby - Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, even French Polynesia, so to travelers there, there might be a "Hawaii, so what?" impression there, especially for the price it demands compared to the aforementioned. If I lived a couple hours flight away from Vietnamese, Thai or Indonesian beaches, I'd also go there instead of going to Hawaii!
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:39 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I'm firmly in the "yes" camp for Hawaii. I try to spend a week in each January across the islands to escape the Midwest winters. But (and it's a big one), you won't get the best luxury experience.

My MO is to spend a night or two at the Halekulani on Oahu and then move on to another island. This year was Hawai'i (I wasn't paying, so ended up at a family member's timeshare). But I would have likely ended up at the Mauna Lani. Hard product is very good, service is eh.

Sometimes you just have to "suck it up" haha in order to get the incredible natural beauty. Plus, I firmly believe Hawaii has some of the best food in the world - Merriman's, Tonkatsu Tamafuji, Fish and the Hog, Island Vintage, etc.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum. United Gold. Marriott Titanium. Hyatt Discoverist.
Yay with caveat

I admit to being biased on this one we own an oceanfront unit on Maui, but my family has been going since the 70s when my grandfather bought the place.

I agree with others that the hotels aren't really luxury. Andaz on Maui for example is pretty bad for the price.

Restaurants can be great but there are a lot of tourist traps.

I think generally people might be happier at more residential properties rather than hotels. I also generally think Oahu is like....the fourth best island to go to.
gudugan and Michaeljinnyc like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:23 am

Bullish on Hawaii - Big Island

Enthusiastic yes for Hawaii as a mainland destination. But only with time for a proper visit - minimum of ten days. We visit several times a year from the East Coast and long haul flights make getting there and back actually relaxing. Partial to the Big Island which has four luxury properties - Four Seasons Hualalai, Rosewood Kona Village, Auberge Mauna Lani and the Mauna Kea Resort. Golf, perfect weather and an improving food scene make it a great escape. Island hopping for day trips is also fun. Not cheap of course but perfect for family time and great memories.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
There is no true luxury in Hawaii but FS Hualalai is good enough and top notch in a US context.

We love the western side of the Big Island, a very reliable climate to relax in and the various microclimates nearby. The landscape is on par with anywhere else. The relaxed and laidback Hawaiian vibe is nice to be in and more importantly, very little to no mosquitoes anywhere.

I plan to retire in Hawaii in the future as use it as my gateway to Asia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.