FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hawaii — Yay or Nay or Sort-of or Kinda or Sometimes
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:28 am
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Honolulu is worth visiting purely to go the Pearl Harbour museum, which I found fascinating. Intra-island flights are cheap, fast and numerous, so combining them with another, more... let's say "preserved" island for actual Hawaiian experiences is easy. I think when we say "Hawaii", we should clearly distinguish between Oahu and any other islands, the experience is very different. I also wouldn't be surprised if US-based travelers had very different impressions and praise for Hawaii from non-US based travelers - Hawaii is the closest true "exotic", "authentic" destination with a very different flora, fauna and geography to the US (no disrespect to the Caribbean, where some of those can also be found), and it thus holds a special place to US-travelers, especially since you don't need a passport to get there.

If you're based in Asia or Australia, you have many more of those closeby - Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, even French Polynesia, so to travelers there, there might be a "Hawaii, so what?" impression there, especially for the price it demands compared to the aforementioned. If I lived a couple hours flight away from Vietnamese, Thai or Indonesian beaches, I'd also go there instead of going to Hawaii!