Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii — Yay or Nay or Sort-of or Kinda or Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 4:32 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Hawaii — Yay or Nay or Sort-of or Kinda or Sometimes

Hawaiian venues often are discussed here, for good reason. The Islands inspire veneration as a travel destination, especially in the U.S. and Japan. Honeymoon Central for those from North America and from Japan.

It is probably as close and accessible as U.S. mainlanders can get to an exotic, Hollywood locale. No passport, English spoken, U.S. culture tinged with exoticism, not your grandmother’s flowers, glorious beaches galore, hula, luaus, the sea, waterfalls, colonial culture, indigenous culture, ocean-centric! volcano and lava for pete's sake, — it’s not Ohio!

Because it is a hallowed tourist destination it can be crowded with, well, tourists. Even some costly venues can be crowded. For seasoned travelers, however, who are accustomed to high rates, the service issue often looms large. Hawaii, however exotic, is still the U.S., and the service ethic can be diluted in this area of high demand when one seeks best. There yet are a few high luxe locales but not as many as there used to be.

Many travelers have a grand time in the Islands. Some luxury travelers have a grand time as well. The Islands are gorgeous especially for those unaccustomed to tropical locale, flora, and culture.

What say you?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:11 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I will never understand the appeal. Perhaps in Australia we are spoilt with our nature and wildlife.

Waikiki is particularly unattractive in every sense with the ABC stores and fast food outlets.

The one thing I did appreciate about Hawaii was the local custom and culture through the smaller museums.

Last edited by m0hamed; Mar 2, 2024 at 9:30 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I will never understand the appeal. Perhaps in Australia we are split with our nature and wildlife.

Waikiki is particularly unattractive in every sense with the ABC stores and fast food outlets.

The one thing I did appreciate about Hawaii was the local custom and culture through the smaller museums.
Oh, the appeal is indubitably obvious but it need not appeal to everyone. Waikiki is just a small slice of Oahu which is an even smaller slice of Hawaii so not all that relevant.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 2, 2024 at 6:02 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024, 6:34 pm

Programs: all of 'em.
Hawaii appeals to me, for sure.
And a lot of the appeal does seem obvious: Its particular beauty/topography is unmatched in the US, perhaps all of NA.
But actually, these days, Oahu, Kauai and (especially) Lanai have more appeal for me than big island.
That 's not where the top luxury is, but as an American i'd rather visit/stay there.
In any case, my vote is a strong yay for keeping Hawaii - both within the union and within this subforum.
Smiley90 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 6:36 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Multiple headwinds that make Hawaii non luxury.
a) Airlines and hotel companies treat Hawaii as a second rate location that is not viewed as a luxury location. Flying the worst business class set up or using old buildings without much desire to rebuild (ie. FS Ko’Olina)
b)The work force does not desire a luxury location; Cost of living is prohibitive for any talented staff to live here for any prolonged periods of time and the brain drain of Hawaii does not produce enough talented staff that want to stay long enough to make a place successful.
c) Only in the past 5-10 or so years has Hawaii moved away from the typical uninspired tourist based pan Asian cuisine (Roy Yamaguchi restaurants) to more creative upscale restaurants (ie. Sushi Sho).
d) Hawaii’s own infrastructure already create a non luxury destination from the start of a trip: old open air airports without much modernization. Lack of infrastructure or desire to create VIP services.
e)With all of these factors; Hawaii has failed to create any true luxury barefoot or luxury eco lodges that has excellent service, excellent hardware, and an excellent view as one package.
KatW, Mickidon, ridefar and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:03 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
Multiple headwinds that make Hawaii non luxury.
a) Airlines and hotel companies treat Hawaii as a second rate location that is not viewed as a luxury location. Flying the worst business class set up or using old buildings without much desire to rebuild (ie. FS Ko’Olina)
b)The work force does not desire a luxury location; Cost of living is prohibitive for any talented staff to live here for any prolonged periods of time and the brain drain of Hawaii does not produce enough talented staff that want to stay long enough to make a place successful.
c) Only in the past 5-10 or so years has Hawaii moved away from the typical uninspired tourist based pan Asian cuisine (Roy Yamaguchi restaurants) to more creative upscale restaurants (ie. Sushi Sho).
d) Hawaii’s own infrastructure already create a non luxury destination from the start of a trip: old open air airports without much modernization. Lack of infrastructure or desire to create VIP services.
e)With all of these factors; Hawaii has failed to create any true luxury barefoot or luxury eco lodges that has excellent service, excellent hardware, and an excellent view as one package.
Boy howdy.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: all of 'em.
Originally Posted by KatW
Boy howdy.
Laptop screen took a fairly thick coating of iced coffee on that one. Actual LOL, thank you for that.
And welcome to my lexicon "boy, howdy". Too good not to steal.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornwall4000
Laptop screen took a fairly thick coating of iced coffee on that one. Actual LOL, thank you for that.
And welcome to my lexicon "boy, howdy". Too good not to steal.
Don’t forget: finest kind.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:49 pm
formerly wchinchen

Boy howdy.
Abit disgruntled as a Hawaii resident…..We can’t do anything right here, including luxury hotels.
KatW and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
There are so many assumptions in your original post that I don’t even know where to begin.

I think it’s highly inaccurate and offensive to suggest that Hawaii, as a whole, is an exotic blend of Hollywood. You may be thinking of Waikiki but that’s far from the rest of the islands.

What makes Hawaii unique is precisely the opposite of what you suggested. People actually live there. There are unique blend of culture as a result of the confluence of background and history.

Many luxury destinations feel hallow and artificial but what you get in Hawaii is a more authentic fusion. Locals actually eat at those restaurants and shop at those stores.

People find different appeals in Hawaii. For me the reason to go there is the food (not necessarily high end food) but local food is incredibly fresh and delicious (something you can’t say for most Caribbean islands). Many people go there for the hikes, waterfalls, and surfing.

My feeling is that luxury resort shouldn’t be a reason you visit a place. It can certainly enhance the experience but it’s the authenticity of the destination that matters.
jamiel, obscure2k, welch and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:58 pm
formerly wchinchen

Originally Posted by SP03
What makes Hawaii unique is precisely……..Many people go there for the hikes, waterfalls, and surfing.

My feeling is that luxury resort shouldn’t be a reason you visit a place. It can certainly enhance the experience but it’s the authenticity of the destination that matters.
+1 Living in Hawaii means choosing a non luxurious lifestyle = I can walk into North Shore Foodland in board shorts, flip flops with sand all over, and a beat up t shirt with holes after surfing without worrying.

Hard for Hawaii to go true luxury when the Hawaii vibe is a laid back one.

We actually discourage people to come to Hawaii if they want a luxury experience. They should come for the nature, while being okay paying a higher cost than expected.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:59 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

In terms of luxury hotels in Hawaii I so entirely stand by my post with a sturdy and informed experience. All are welcome to agree or disagree but a good discussion here is, in fact, the point.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, while Hawaii is great for beaches and tropical settings, what makes a visit most worthwhile is whether you do other things. To do some of those, you have to watch out for rental car road restrictions on both Maui and the Big Island. In my view, none of these restrictions are because the driving is difficult, they are simply done to reduce rental company insurance costs.

On Maui, travel is often disallowed beyond the Seven Sacred Pools or all the way around the northernmost part of the island. Because most are not allowed to take these roads, the isolation can be very nice.

Similarly, on the Big Island, driving can be disallowed on the Mauna Kea road beyond the visitor center, so you can't go see the telescopes. There may even still be rental companies that disallow driving the entire Saddle road across the island. It can be possible to eliminate these restrictions if you rent a 4WD vehicle (which in my opinion isn't required except maybe in the unusual situation of there being snow on Mauna Kea).
Old Mar 2, 2024, 8:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SP03
There are so many assumptions in your original post that I don’t even know where to begin.

I think it’s highly inaccurate and offensive to suggest that Hawaii, as a whole, is an exotic blend of Hollywood. You may be thinking of Waikiki but that’s far from the rest of the islands.

What makes Hawaii unique is precisely the opposite of what you suggested. People actually live there. There are unique blend of culture as a result of the confluence of background and history.

Many luxury destinations feel hallow and artificial but what you get in Hawaii is a more authentic fusion. Locals actually eat at those restaurants and shop at those stores.

People find different appeals in Hawaii. For me the reason to go there is the food (not necessarily high end food) but local food is incredibly fresh and delicious (something you can’t say for most Caribbean islands). Many people go there for the hikes, waterfalls, and surfing.

You missed a whole lot there in my post. In addition, I am not responsible for how Hawaii gets marketed.

This IS the luxury hotel forum and my post is focused on luxury in Hawaii. I take the points about there being so much to do in Hawaii, that is true of most places.
gudugan and Michaeljinnyc like this.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 2, 2024 at 9:09 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
You missed a whole lot there in my post. In addition, I am not responsible for how Hawaii gets marketed.

This IS the luxury hotel forum and my post is focused on luxury in Hawaii. I take the points about there being so much to do in Hawaii, that is true of most places.
You are not just talking about luxury hotels in Hawaii. You are making offensive statements about the island.

You are calling it “an exotic, Hollywood locale” and “hallowed tourist destination” whose appeals is in its “exoticism.”
KatW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.