Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico Beach Options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2024, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Mexico Beach Options

Hi everyone - it has been a while since I have been active around here

My wife and I are planning an anniversary trip in March (but not over Easter), combining a urban piece in Mexico City, and then some relaxing time on the beach. We have friends that are helping us out with ideas in Mexico City, but are trying to figure out the beach piece. We've never been to either place, and are excited to go!

We are focusing on either Cabo or Punta Mita, due to options being relatively close to the airport and then a direct flight back to SFO. We will mainly be relaxing after exploring Mexico City, no not as focused on the range of activities but more on being able to relax. We are leaving our daughter at home, so staying away from lots of kids would be nice. Quality of food matters quite a bit to us, but doesn't have to be fancy. We don't need a swimmable beach, but it would be great to have a good walking beach (or other places to go for a stroll).

Right now the main places at the top of the list (similar ballpark pricing for oceanview rooms) are:

St Regis Punta Mita
Auberge Susseros del Corazon
One&only Palmilla
Four Seasons Costa Palmas
Rosewood Las Ventannas (which is notch more expensive)

It seems like Punta Mita in general has better beaches (both for swimming and walking), and seems to be marginally cheaper. Between the StR and Auberge, I feel like Auberge might have less kids and seems more intimate based on reviews (and also has a 4th night free!). Does that seem consistent with the views of folks that have been to both?

A couple of specific other questions:
Thoughts on Punta Mita vs Cabo - food options, beaches, etc.
Is something like Las Ventannas worth the extra $$ (and somewhat Palmilla too)? One the flip side, any thoughts on places like The Cape, Solaz, etc. that are a notch down from the ones we're looking at now - in general they seem more mass market - does that read seem right?
Anywhere else we should look at?

Right now I am leaning towards Susseros del Corazon, based on all the various factors.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Hrock34; Jan 11, 2024 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:08 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I'm a So cal based travel advisor and SJD and PVR are two of my top destinations booked give the proximity. I've also stayed at all those hotels other than Las Ventanas. If seeking a great beach, I would streer you to Punta Mita and to avoid Cabo (other than Four Seasons and perhaps Montage). The beach at Palmilla is OK but I find its a bit too public. The challenge with the Four Seasons near Cabo is its isolation; you don't have great dining choices besides the hotel.

Susseros del Corazon is a great choice. Another place to consider is Zadun but the beach is tiny, though super private. I would skip Solaz and Cape as they are not in the same league as the other options you mention and you will be underwhelmed.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I was just at Susurros Del Corazon. It is a nice quite place with a good beach about 1/4-3/8 mile long that is swimmable in parts. The food was pretty good but limited. The pools were awesome. The problem with the resort is that it is not in the Punta Mita gates which means there is nowhere to take a walk outside the resort. All in all, we liked it very much. It is brand new which means top notch hard product and the service was great.

I would skip St Regis right now. It is under renovation and it is absolutely dead.

I would choose the FS there. I am biased because we go several times a year. They have 2 beaches that are decently swimmable but good for walks. The food is good and varied because they have several restaurants. They have renovated most of the rooms, but they won't be as brand new as SDC. The service is outstanding as it tends to be in Mexico. We love it there.

We also go to Cabo all the time. Our favorite is Esperanza, but the beach might not be up to par for you. The views, pools and service are all amazing.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:37 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Four Seasons Tamarino has an additional discount if you spend 2 nights at Four Seasons Mexico City.
Have you dismissed Naviva as an option?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:30 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by ABG
Four Seasons Tamarino has an additional discount if you spend 2 nights at Four Seasons Mexico City.
Have you dismissed Naviva as an option?
You can't get to SFO from Tamarindo on a direct flight. FS Tamarindo would be a clear choice if the OP is willing to connect on the way to SFO. FS Naviva starts at $4k/night. That's SYR territory. My choice would be FS Punta Mita. I have a dislike for Cabo, but I could be forced to suffer at Las Ventanas for a few days.
KatW likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:51 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
You can't get to SFO from Tamarindo on a direct flight.
I had thought it was LAX for some reason... oops.
If they are looking at Ventanas, Naviva isn't so far off $ wise. An oceanview room even at FS Punta Mita can be north of $2500.00 sometimes
Easy to combine Naviva for the special occasion celebration with a few extra nights elsewhere in Punta Mita

Last edited by ABG; Jan 12, 2024 at 12:08 pm
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:10 pm
Original Member

After many many stays in Cabo over the last 40 years, I have sworn off now that it is nothing more than a suburb of LA. Which is not to say it can’t be a decent respite venue for some.
EuropeanPete and nick_a like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts - I had looked at Naviva (pricing is at least double everything else for our dates) and Tamarindo (no flight unfortunately - looks like a great option otherwise!).

Now it is time to bring the summary to my wife and get to a decision - show only trusts me so much, even after 15 years.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 8:00 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Hrock34
Thank you all for your thoughts - I had looked at Naviva (pricing is at least double everything else for our dates) and Tamarindo (no flight unfortunately - looks like a great option otherwise!).

Now it is time to bring the summary to my wife and get to a decision - show only trusts me so much, even after 15 years.
You might find that Naviva is still worth it. FWIW, I wrote a review here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35760032-post19.html

Bear in mind their rates are truly all inclusive, and you could well spend $500-750 a day on F&B at the other resorts you are considering. Also, Naviva has incredible privacy / romance relative to the other options. I get it, it is eye watering expensive. But you only have your 15 year anniversary once.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 3:42 pm
ABG

Originally Posted by ridefar
Y
I get it, it is eye watering expensive. But you only have your 15 year anniversary once.
That's what I would do split the stay with another Punta Mita resort. 3 nights Naviva & then 4th night free package at Auberge.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:25 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Originally Posted by zakami
I'm a So cal based travel advisor and SJD and PVR are two of my top destinations booked give the proximity. I've also stayed at all those hotels other than Las Ventanas. If seeking a great beach, I would streer you to Punta Mita and to avoid Cabo (other than Four Seasons and perhaps Montage). The beach at Palmilla is OK but I find its a bit too public. The challenge with the Four Seasons near Cabo is its isolation; you don't have great dining choices besides the hotel.

Susseros del Corazon is a great choice. Another place to consider is Zadun but the beach is tiny, though super private. I would skip Solaz and Cape as they are not in the same league as the other options you mention and you will be underwhelmed.
This isn't entirely accurate on the beach at Palmilla. While the beach that the Palmilla has their palapa bar and loungers set-up at is as you describe, the beach the opposite side of the break in front of Villas del Mar is practically private and is a great beach for walking.

San Jose has great food. The back road into town has become more like Cabo, and is to be avoided, but San Jose itself still retains its charm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.