Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best luxury hotel in Singapore (newer thread, started 9/23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best luxury hotel in Singapore (newer thread, started 9/23)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Conrad reviews seem pretty mixed, leaning bad. Lots of reports of hard product falling apart and weird smells.

The Kempinski is near the Bay and reviews overall seem decent so thinking bout that.
My own experience with the Conrad Centennial is decent. Certainly not luxurious but more of a solid high end business hotel, and no issues with smell or work hardware. There’s also the option of the recently renovated Conrad Orchid.

I’m partial to the Capitol Kempinski myself but not necessarily the closest to the Gardens by the Bay, which is where you’d want to be for a first trip.
carls888 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:47 pm

Conrad reviews seem pretty mixed, leaning bad. Lots of reports of hard product falling apart and weird smells.

The Kempinski is near the Bay and reviews overall seem decent so thinking bout that.
I stayed at the Capitol Kempinski last April and thought was a solid city hotel. It's walking distance to the National Museum and Raffles, as well as several shopping centers (which I like for casual food options). It's also conveniently reachable via a quick indoor/underground walk to the City Hall MRT station, which connects to two lines.
Things to be aware of: since it's two connected historic buildings, the corridors are a bit of a maze and the pool is small. Unlike the other hotels, Kempinski is only 4 or 5 stories tall, so don't expect any views.
carls888 likes this.

Last edited by EmpressRouge; Jan 1, 2024 at 7:30 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don't think that anyone has done a review of the new Conrad Orchard yet (formerly the Regent), which might well be quite nice.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:46 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I don't think that anyone has done a review of the new Conrad Orchard yet (formerly the Regent), which might well be quite nice.
It's gotten brutal reviews in the Hilton forum. I'll stay away. It's a shame; it's likely to harm the reputation of the original Conrad in Singapore which is a solid hotel.

Conrad Singapore Orchard {SGP}
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:46 pm

Thanks. Will look into that. Reviews of FS and Ck seem decent though.

Consensus seems to be that the Raffles is just not worth the price. Is the right?
Bad service at Raffles and definitely not worth the price.

If location isn’t an issue, I’d look into Capella in Sentosa
Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:58 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I am spending 2 nights in Singapore in February. It's my first visit to the country so would prefer something central, near major sites, and near transportation. Also value a good pool, and a vegan/vegetarian friendly breakfast. Looking at pricing, probably gonna be the Conrad, Four Seasons, St Regis or Capitol Kempinski. Does anyone have advice on choosing between the 4?
I was just at the Conrad Centennial n late June, really disliked it - one of the worst 'luxury hotels' I've ever stayed at. But I don't consider it a luxury hotel so...a lower end 4* at best, it's competing with a Hyatt Regency that needs an urgent refreshment.

Capitol Kempinski (also stayed there at the same time) is kind of cool, like a mini-/lite-Raffles. Don't expect super luxe, but it's an interesting/unique enough property. Definitely go for a suite, the entry level rooms are a bit weirder (if budget allows). Great location too.
Haven't stayed at the others but did a site-view of Four Seasons. Decent location, rooms are nice now that they're refurbed.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
It's a first trip, so all the cliche ones. The various gardens, maybe the zoo, the Raffles, National Museum, Marina Bay etc.
I'd actually stay 2 nights at the MBS - just for location and trying out the pool. Then I'd hate the crowds, the size of the hotel, and move to the RC or one of the Fullerton's.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:53 am

Just venting after reading this thread. I have a 10 day stay in November and nothing really is standing out. I'm there for work but the Mrs and and my EA are joining each having their own likes and dislikes. I have to travel between Changi and Marina Bay area almost daily. Already have stayed on Sentosa but not at Capella. I've done Raffles prior to new ownership. RC would be the Mrs first choice, but hearing it's outdated gives me give pause. Orchard road is out of the way for my needs, but give its location to other things, I might have to acquiesce. Shangri-La and Fullerton might be alternatives but each comes with its own pluses and minuses.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's gotten brutal reviews in the Hilton forum. I'll stay away. It's a shame; it's likely to harm the reputation of the original Conrad in Singapore which is a solid hotel.

I’ve now read the reviews - I really should have checked before mentioning it.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by ords
Just venting after reading this thread. I have a 10 day stay in November and nothing really is standing out. I'm there for work but the Mrs and and my EA are joining each having their own likes and dislikes. I have to travel between Changi and Marina Bay area almost daily. Already have stayed on Sentosa but not at Capella. I've done Raffles prior to new ownership. RC would be the Mrs first choice, but hearing it's outdated gives me give pause. Orchard road is out of the way for my needs, but give its location to other things, I might have to acquiesce. Shangri-La and Fullerton might be alternatives but each comes with its own pluses and minuses.
Try the renovated MO?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

The Chinese restaurant at the hotel is really great. Been there during the regent era
Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:35 am

Programs: some
I have always had great stays at the Raffles, although admittedly the last time was just before Covid.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:09 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
While we're on the topic, my review of Capella Singapore.
I was hosted there as a disclaimer, as always.
More photos and full review:: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/cape...-hotel-review/

LOVED
  • Location. Covered below, but if you plan to use this just to stay on-site/nearby, it's a great location within Sentosa.
  • Rooms/suites. extremely spacious, well designed, well maintained. The original was done by Jaya Ibrahim (with architecture by Sir Norman Foster), with the refurb led by Andre Fu. For the villas, the outdoor area/pool isn't up to much. Just more of a nice to have for a dip, it's not big at all. But the interior space is nice in the villas.
  • Manors. These are pretty incredible if you're looking for multi-bedroom. Especially loved the Colonial Manor
  • Residences. They have serviced residences on-site. These are built slightly differently in terms of layout, offering much more living space inside the rooms, whereas the bedroom itself is more barebones. The first pic above is one from the residences. Some of them have outdoor spaces too.
  • Pools. Three pools, beautiful. It was never busy and we were there when it was quite at high occupancy, over a weekend. Well attended to though we didn't use it too much.
  • Service. Unlike our subsequent experience with Capella Bangkok, thought the service here was really good - on par with Fullerton Bay which is where we've had the best previous service experiences in Singapore.
  • Breakfast. Touched on slightly disappointing F&B below, but the breakfast was great.

POINTS TO NOTE
  • Location. Could be a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for with the property. After Datai Langkawi, this was a nice getaway for a couple of nights before heading back home (especially as, at the time, I was to head back home to Hong Kong to quarantine in a hotel...). Wouldn't recommend it if you plan to go out into town every day/night or multiple times during the day.
  • F&B. That said, thought the F&B got kind of stale on-site. Didn't really explore other options around Sentosa which could have worked I suppose, but did miss the proximity to the city in that regard.
  • Views. Nice to have I suppose but there's a good chance you'll just see container ships/oil tankers, even from the various rooms we saw. In that sense, doesn't really compare to the 'city views'.

Much to like about it - I'd definitely head back at some point especially if there are some changes to check out. The only question is whether you want to be on Sentosa or not, depending on the reason for your stay. There are a few other properties now on Sentosa, but nothing that really catches the eye (apart from the somewhat interesting looking boutique hotel The Barracks - but didn't get a chance to check that place out due to their bizarre communication). Beyond that, there's nothing really luxury...W, Sofitel and so on. Capella stands apart in that regard.
DreamingofFlying likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Anyone familiar with Naomi Hotel? Its part of SLH.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Recommendations on Location, Hotel?

We have never been to Singapore, but will be there four days in mid-March. We currently hold a reservation for Raffles, but am second-guessing based upon some iffy reviews. Would appreciate some hotel recommendations based upon the following:

Location- Don't want to be in the middle of a human zoo. That is, we want tranquility. Not interested in shopping or bar hopping. We do want to get a guide arranged by a concierge who can spend a couple of days with us showing us the sights.

Service- Would be nice to have a concierge that quickly communicated by email and went an extra step.As mentioned above, want to find a good guide.

Cost--If we were paying $1K-1.2K USD a night for a large room or small suite, that would be great.

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.