Lake Como

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023 | 5:27 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: Some
Lake Como

Since there is only one rather old thread without particularly helpful content and several individual threads about hotels, I'll start a new one once.
I will probably do one (or 2, depending on the route) short stay at Lake Como in October. I'm generally very partial to the Mandarin, but am also looking at the alternatives. Villa D`Este is out because too worn out. Tremezzo is out, I already had a grotty Stay there, which is enough for this life. Has anyone had experience with the Aria Retreat? Looks quite good and would fit well because of the proximity to Lugano for a part. What is the opinion about Il Sereno? Any other options I should consider? Villa Serbelloni?
Old Jul 1, 2023 | 7:40 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by offerendum
Tremezzo is out, I already had a grotty Stay there, which is enough for this life.
Can you please elaborate ? Or link me to your review if there is one ? I've been wanting to stay here for ages so I am keen to know more about your experience.
Old Jul 1, 2023 | 8:30 pm

Well, here's a review of Il Sereno that changed our minds. https://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious...eno-lake-como/

'
We were with a group of friends, and rented a villa instead.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 4:11 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Nizar
Can you please elaborate ? Or link me to your review if there is one ? I've been wanting to stay here for ages so I am keen to know more about your experience.
Gladly! In summary, it is a relatively run-down hotel with mediocre service and poor food. Our suite was supposedly newly renovated, but was in lousy condition. There is a whistling through the fentser. The SPA area was not in good condition either.
The restaurants are very expensive, except for the pizza, none are really any good.
Here are the essential threads of my review from 2021:
General
Suite
Pool in the lake
Indoor Pool
Garden
Bar
Breakfast
Giacomo al Lago
T Pizza
La Terrazza Gualtiero Marchesi
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 4:18 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by maybemaybenot
Well, here's a review of Il Sereno that changed our minds. https://thegoodthebadandtheluxurious...eno-lake-como/

'
We were with a group of friends, and rented a villa instead.
Thank you! Hepls a lot.
maybemaybenot likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 5:50 am
10 Years on Site

I trust offerendum's opinions and admire the way he travels. I am glad he eats all those Michelin-starred dinners on our behalf. But as far as Tremezzo is concerned, his is a lonely voice of dissension. This is a hotel which gets almost unanimous praise. It has by far the best location on the lake (Villa D'Este and MO are tucked away on the southern arm) and is decorated in a traditional, chintzy style. The only serious flaw is the misjudged and grotty indoor 'pool.' You probably need to splash out on one of the better rooms or suites. The Tremezzo also has a second hotel, the Passalacqua, just up the road and this looks ravishingly beautiful. If I were to return to Como this is where I would stay.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 6:50 am
formerly vienna-resident
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I trust offerendum's opinions and admire the way he travels. I am glad he eats all those Michelin-starred dinners on our behalf. But as far as Tremezzo is concerned, his is a lonely voice of dissension.
I’m with offerendum on this one. We too had a horrible stay in a worn down Junior Suite, didn’t like the ambiance of mix-and-match furniture with several dubious style choices, hotel overflowing with “influencers” that roamed around the property unchecked, totally indifferent and pretentious service and several totally unacceptable issues during our stay that were met with total indifference by the management. Never again.

I will admit that their new sister property Passalacqua looks gorgeous though.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 7:06 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I trust offerendum's opinions and admire the way he travels. I am glad he eats all those Michelin-starred dinners on our behalf. But as far as Tremezzo is concerned, his is a lonely voice of dissension. This is a hotel which gets almost unanimous praise. It has by far the best location on the lake (Villa D'Este and MO are tucked away on the southern arm) and is decorated in a traditional, chintzy style. The only serious flaw is the misjudged and grotty indoor 'pool.' You probably need to splash out on one of the better rooms or suites. The Tremezzo also has a second hotel, the Passalacqua, just up the road and this looks ravishingly beautiful. If I were to return to Como this is where I would stay.
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
I’m with offerendum on this one. We too had a horrible stay in a worn down Junior Suite, didn’t like the ambiance of mix-and-match furniture with several dubious style choices, hotel overflowing with “influencers” that roamed around the property unchecked, totally indifferent and pretentious service and several totally unacceptable issues during our stay that were met with total indifference by the management. Never again.

I will admit that their new sister property Passalacqua looks gorgeous though.
Passalaqua looks nice, no question.
When it comes to Tremezzo I more and more hear sceptical voices. Livefromtuscany is one example. But it's always a personal thing and if it appeals to someone, they should give it a try. The maximum risk is a lousy stay, you survive that. And since some people like it, it can also be a great experience.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 9:20 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by offerendum
Gladly! In summary, it is a relatively run-down hotel with mediocre service and poor food. Our suite was supposedly newly renovated, but was in lousy condition.
I looked at your review. Not sure I would want to stay at the Tremezzo, especially at $$$$$$, but I was impressed with the high-quality marble installation in your Jr Suite bathroom.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 9:53 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by schriste
I looked at your review. Not sure I would want to stay at the Tremezzo, especially at $$$$$$, but I was impressed with the high-quality marble installation in your Jr Suite bathroom.
Well, they know how to do marble in Italy. The Junior Suites are new, mine was a Garden Suite. I guess the rooftop suites are preferable, but they are even smaller.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 11:30 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Further away but I loved Villa Feltrinelli. Worth checking out imo.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 11:47 am

Feltrinelli is on Garda, not Como, but it is lovely. Passalacqua truly is the best hotel in the area now, and it is much more "boutique" than the other's in the area. Have had several clients here with perfect stays and I have only heard amazing things from others who have stayed. It's an extraordinary property.
Villa d'Este is not worn out, and I believe they just did some updates, but where you stay will make or break the stay. You need to be in the Cardinal building.
My big knock on Tremezzo is how you need to cross the road to reach the pool (which they conveniently leave out of any photos online).

Personally, I rank Passalacqua > Villa d'Este > Tremezzo & Mandarin.

If you are traveling with friends - Il Serano has a private villa that is supposed to be phenomenal, and the booking policies are surprisingly reasonable.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 1:26 pm

What about the Grand Hotel Victoria in Menaggio?
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 2:16 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by wripro
Further away but I loved Villa Feltrinelli. Worth checking out imo.
Will stay in October, but yes, it΄s (hopefully) Garda.
Old Jul 2, 2023 | 4:11 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

OK, will try Passalaqua.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.