Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is about reporting crisis discounts at luxury hotels. It is not for a discussion of the morality of those discounts or other unrelated topics. Those belong elsewhere, such as in the Omni forum for those qualified for it.

I will be deleting subsequent off-topic posts.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
obscure2k and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
As far as I can see, SIN and BKK properties aren’t discounted much at all.

Certainly not suites, anyway.
Stayed in Capella over the weekend. Direct booking - discounted rate, breakfast, S$100 F&B credit, upgrade, 8pm checkout, & a rum making class.

Will likely go back this weekend if it remains open - happy to meet up if anybody is around.

Originally Posted by BLV
I was offered 5% off a standard rate at an Amalfi Coast property for 3 nights in August 🤣.
At least the availability there is unprecedented. I am working now on a tentative reservation for August.
Isochronous likes this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 23, 2020 at 9:21 am Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Not a crisis discount but Amanyara looks to be blocked out starting soon for the month of April. Am I to assume they’ve closed for a bit?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Alvear Palace is pretty cheap. I was booked on a trip there already in June. It was a refundable rate so I just rebooked into a Deluxe Suite for about 75% of what the original nightly rate was for a King Room. Who knows if travel will be back on the table by June, but if so i'm set. Entry level rooms going for $266/night in June now, there were (I think) $400+ 2 months ago.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Not a crisis discount but Amanyara looks to be blocked out starting soon for the month of April. Am I to assume they’ve closed for a bit?
The whole island is essentially shut down. No flights in or out for about a month.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:51 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by HumbleBee

At least the availability there is unprecedented. I am working now on a tentative reservation for August.
I’ve got a standing reservation for Positano in August (as well as one for May, which obviously isn’t happening but I’ll cancel very last minute) and keeping fingers crossed at least that doesn’t fall through.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would expect many high end hotels (especially leisure destinations) to just shut for a month or two.
offerendum and BENLEE like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by BLV
I’ve got a standing reservation for Positano in August (as well as one for May, which obviously isn’t happening but I’ll cancel very last minute) and keeping fingers crossed at least that doesn’t fall through.
​​​​​​​I'm booked tentatively in ISP 8/16-19
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Will things get better if hotels sell rooms at a loss?
Still generates much-needed cash flow.

I'd been hoping for drops at the Peninsula and Rosewood in HK but the decreases in price have not been that large. Besides, seems like a bit of a shame to use if the gym and pool are both closed.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Is there a list of Four Seasons hotels offering stay for 4 nights and pay 3 nights?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:06 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Some of the best offers are not necessarily publicly disclosed or official. But I've been getting a good bit of deals for clients purely through management friends at hotels and coming up with custom offers (non-public). So if you have places in mind to visit, instead of only looking at official public offers on websites, may be best to ask your advisor to see if there are any custom offers they can offer you.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:08 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
... and in the same vein, upgrades-at-booking, even double-upgrades-at-booking are achievable these days
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Some of the best offers are not necessarily publicly disclosed or official. But I've been getting a good bit of deals for clients purely through management friends at hotels and coming up with custom offers (non-public). So if you have places in mind to visit, instead of only looking at official public offers on websites, may be best to ask your advisor to see if there are any custom offers they can offer you.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Saw this on the Hyatt forum but qualifies for this thread too I reckon
https://thechampagnemile.com.au/sydn...aEPApqujYgZkeg
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I'm not seeing much discounting in the high end in the short term. And it is chaos at FS. FS is clearly having trouble with the restart worldwide. Staffing issues maybe? Booked FS LV, only to have it cancelled a few hours later. Gonna have to slum it at Bellagio over the 4th.

Several destinations I looked at were booked entirely for July and August'20. They are limiting the number of rooms and the inventory is filling quickly. Amangani, for example appears to be completely sold out for July and most of August. This makes me chuckle a bit. My biggest issue with Aman, including 'Gani, is that I get lonely; never 'it's too crowded'. I do not see a need to reduce inventory to adhere to Wuhan virus distancing rules. I exclude 'Giri, which was crowded when we went, but I will NEVER part with $3500/night for that place. And 'crowded at an Aman' is a relative term. In this context I mean 'I saw another person during my stay'. I've been to ASP three times and never once saw another guest. This ... is a little creepy. I see a lot of issues at the despicable FS Maui. That place is an overstuffed circus in the best of times.

Interesting times ...

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jun 20, 2020 at 11:23 am
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:44 am
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by Nizar
Saw this on the Hyatt forum but qualifies for this thread too I reckon
https://thechampagnemile.com.au/sydn...aEPApqujYgZkeg
This is an amazing rate - they've completely revised rates - lead in starts at AUD 350 per night for a three night stay under this, and around $500 per night otherwise. I had clients paying $1000+ per night for lead-in prior to COVID.

Must note for everyone, the exclusive Prive stay 3/pay 2 applies to Park Hyatt's worldwide as well as any other Hyatt's (e.g. Grand Hyatt Melbourne) that are under the Prive program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.