FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Crisis discounts at high end hotels (2020 Corona Virus) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/2012245-crisis-discounts-high-end-hotels-2020-corona-virus.html)

RichardInSF Mar 20, 2020 6:54 pm

This thread is about reporting crisis discounts at luxury hotels. It is not for a discussion of the morality of those discounts or other unrelated topics. Those belong elsewhere, such as in the Omni forum for those qualified for it.

I will be deleting subsequent off-topic posts.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

HumbleBee Mar 23, 2020 5:43 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 32155869)
As far as I can see, SIN and BKK properties aren’t discounted much at all.

Certainly not suites, anyway.

Stayed in Capella over the weekend. Direct booking - discounted rate, breakfast, S$100 F&B credit, upgrade, 8pm checkout, & a rum making class.

Will likely go back this weekend if it remains open - happy to meet up if anybody is around.

Originally Posted by BLV (Post 32161233)
I was offered 5% off a standard rate at an Amalfi Coast property for 3 nights in August 🤣.

At least the availability there is unprecedented. I am working now on a tentative reservation for August.

FlyingDoctorwu Mar 23, 2020 6:48 am

Not a crisis discount but Amanyara looks to be blocked out starting soon for the month of April. Am I to assume they’ve closed for a bit?

GetSetJetSet Mar 23, 2020 8:50 am

Alvear Palace is pretty cheap. I was booked on a trip there already in June. It was a refundable rate so I just rebooked into a Deluxe Suite for about 75% of what the original nightly rate was for a King Room. Who knows if travel will be back on the table by June, but if so i'm set. Entry level rooms going for $266/night in June now, there were (I think) $400+ 2 months ago.

UniversalGC Mar 24, 2020 10:41 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 32221778)
Not a crisis discount but Amanyara looks to be blocked out starting soon for the month of April. Am I to assume they’ve closed for a bit?

The whole island is essentially shut down. No flights in or out for about a month.

BLV Mar 24, 2020 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee (Post 32221632)

At least the availability there is unprecedented. I am working now on a tentative reservation for August.

I’ve got a standing reservation for Positano in August (as well as one for May, which obviously isn’t happening but I’ll cancel very last minute) and keeping fingers crossed at least that doesn’t fall through.

LondonElite Mar 25, 2020 8:48 am

I would expect many high end hotels (especially leisure destinations) to just shut for a month or two.

HumbleBee Mar 26, 2020 12:20 am

Originally Posted by BLV (Post 32228415)
I’ve got a standing reservation for Positano in August (as well as one for May, which obviously isn’t happening but I’ll cancel very last minute) and keeping fingers crossed at least that doesn’t fall through.

​​​​​​​I'm booked tentatively in ISP 8/16-19

Isochronous Apr 11, 2020 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 32209060)
Will things get better if hotels sell rooms at a loss? :confused:

Still generates much-needed cash flow.

I'd been hoping for drops at the Peninsula and Rosewood in HK but the decreases in price have not been that large. Besides, seems like a bit of a shame to use if the gym and pool are both closed.

Goodmorning2U Apr 12, 2020 9:52 am

Is there a list of Four Seasons hotels offering stay for 4 nights and pay 3 nights?

BESVISOR Apr 13, 2020 9:06 am

Some of the best offers are not necessarily publicly disclosed or official. But I've been getting a good bit of deals for clients purely through management friends at hotels and coming up with custom offers (non-public). So if you have places in mind to visit, instead of only looking at official public offers on websites, may be best to ask your advisor to see if there are any custom offers they can offer you.

DavidO Apr 13, 2020 9:08 am

... and in the same vein, upgrades-at-booking, even double-upgrades-at-booking are achievable these days

Originally Posted by BESVISOR (Post 32289185)
Some of the best offers are not necessarily publicly disclosed or official. But I've been getting a good bit of deals for clients purely through management friends at hotels and coming up with custom offers (non-public). So if you have places in mind to visit, instead of only looking at official public offers on websites, may be best to ask your advisor to see if there are any custom offers they can offer you.

Nizar Jun 20, 2020 2:13 am

Saw this on the Hyatt forum but qualifies for this thread too I reckon
https://thechampagnemile.com.au/sydn...aEPApqujYgZkeg

mike_la_jolla Jun 20, 2020 11:17 am

I'm not seeing much discounting in the high end in the short term. And it is chaos at FS. FS is clearly having trouble with the restart worldwide. Staffing issues maybe? Booked FS LV, only to have it cancelled a few hours later. Gonna have to slum it at Bellagio over the 4th.

Several destinations I looked at were booked entirely for July and August'20. They are limiting the number of rooms and the inventory is filling quickly. Amangani, for example appears to be completely sold out for July and most of August. This makes me chuckle a bit. My biggest issue with Aman, including 'Gani, is that I get lonely; never 'it's too crowded'. I do not see a need to reduce inventory to adhere to Wuhan virus distancing rules. I exclude 'Giri, which was crowded when we went, but I will NEVER part with $3500/night for that place. And 'crowded at an Aman' is a relative term. In this context I mean 'I saw another person during my stay'. I've been to ASP three times and never once saw another guest. This ... is a little creepy. I see a lot of issues at the despicable FS Maui. That place is an overstuffed circus in the best of times.

Interesting times ...

SojournsOf Jun 22, 2020 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Nizar (Post 32470978)
Saw this on the Hyatt forum but qualifies for this thread too I reckon
https://thechampagnemile.com.au/sydn...aEPApqujYgZkeg

This is an amazing rate - they've completely revised rates - lead in starts at AUD 350 per night for a three night stay under this, and around $500 per night otherwise. I had clients paying $1000+ per night for lead-in prior to COVID.

Must note for everyone, the exclusive Prive stay 3/pay 2 applies to Park Hyatt's worldwide as well as any other Hyatt's (e.g. Grand Hyatt Melbourne) that are under the Prive program.